Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My sad Nintendo tech support story

SuperWooper

Time to blow off some steam!

So recently I heard that Pokemon Snap was on the VC and I tried to connect to the Wii Shop Channel to download it. But this message comes up saying that a new version of Wii Shop was available, and that I had to perform a system update. Soooo I go to "Wii System Update" under "Wii Settings" and it prompts me for a test connection. It connects just fine, but as soon as it brings up the loading bar it just freezes and says, "Error Code 32004, visit support.nintendo.com"

So I go online and check it out, type in 32004 in the error code box and it tells me to change the channel my router broadcasts on to either 1 or 11. I think my problem is solved, since it was on six earlier. I try 1, and it doesn't work. I try 11. No dice. I try a bunch of others, just in case. Nada. So I get back on there and try to figure out why I still can't update the system (I've done it quite easily in the past). So I check option two, which is to visit their troubleshooting tips. I go there and tell them what kind of router I have (linksys WR52GTS or something like that, I can't remember it now, but I know I put it in right because I did it one character at a time), and I hunt around on that page, but it's not on the list of routers that the Wii has a problem connection with. Well, no duh, I connect to the internet just fine, I just can't perform a system update.

So I continue hunting and find this page that says I might need to change my primary and secondary DNS to match my router's default IP address. So I do that, and instead of it deciding to work, it stops being able to connect to the internet altogether. I erase those settings and reconfigure my settings. I figure it's time to start rebooting stuff. I reboot the router. That doesn't work. I unplug the Wii and replug it, and just for good measure I configure my internet settings again (I like quadruple-checked all the numbers). Still nothing. So I'm just about at the end of my rope.

Finally I get to some page that actually looks promising. It tells me that 2.4GHz frequencies can mess up the Wii's connectivity mid-download, so I check out our phones and lo and behold, they're 2.4GHz! So I unplug them, and just for good measure, get them out of the radius of our router. Well, that doesn't work. (I've been able to perform system updates with those phones in our house before, BTW.) Then I see the same prompt for the error code number as before, only it's formatted under a completely different page for people like me who have NO IDEA what the heck is going on with their Wii. I go there, fill in the error code (32004), and go through a bunch of pages where it's asking, "Did you try this? Did you try this? Did you try thiiiiiiiiiiiiis?" Finally I get through all that stuff, and it just tells me to change the channel on my router again. -______-

This is driving me crazy. I'm actually considering calling up Nintendo's tech support and talking to an actual person. (read: I'm actually considering being put on hold for, like, evar.) Has anybody else gotten the error code "32004"? If so, please tell me what on earth is the matter with my Wii. =/

All I know is that sometimes the Wii just decides on its own to not connect for a little while. If you wait a while and try again, it'll probably fix itself. ._.

I had the same problem. I picked up my wii gently off the entertainment center so it was away from the surrounding wood and it finally connected.(It was kind-of enclosed) I recommend just moving your wii to a different room and seeing if that fixes anything.

Last edited:
Just call them. I had to call once and the guy stayed on the phone for an hour to try to help figure out stuff with memory cards. (I was trying to figure out how you could have more than 3 files on Zelda twilight princess. It turns out the only way to maybe possibly do that is with 2 memory cards) I haven't had any problems updating the wii over wifi. I actually don't have any so I had to pack it up and use someone elses and it worked fine.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

BTW I updated in a house that has 2.4 ghz. phones

Last edited:
I kept getting the exact same error code, and the update would stop mid-way. I reset my modem a couple of times and just kept trying to download the update on the Wii and eventually it worked.

All I know is that sometimes the Wii just decides on its own to not connect for a little while. If you wait a while and try again, it'll probably fix itself. ._.
I gotta go with Chris on this one. I've had the same problem with my DS, my computer, my PS3, my laptop, just about everything I connect to the internet with, and all I had to do was wait it out. Usually it's just some sort of interference from an outside source or something like that that will fix itself quickly with the right kind of router, and the system doesn't understand that particular problem and does the best it can to figure out what it is. Least that's the problem I had.

My problem isn't just updating the Wii, it is maintaining my Wi-Fi connection. At some random times, my Wi-Fi will completely stop working. When I go on to check out its status, it says some crazy SSID, along with a security setting that I never entered. Somebody must be screwing around with my settings. It is pretty creepy. It is the worst when your computer wont log onto 192.168.1.1 address for some reason, and you can't do anything to solve the problem. Sometimes it gets to the point where you just need to unplug all of your equipment, and let it sit for a day. I don't know why, but usually when I go to plug it all in again the same exact way as before, everything works great! The reset button on the back of the router is your best friend. It is really stupid. I feel your pain all the way man!

Just so you know, I have a Linksys WRT54G.

So as far as I can tell from my experience and all your responses, this isn't something to do with my internet connection. I just wish Nintendo would engineer their systems so that stuff like this wouldn't happen. I'm glad to hear that the problem fixes itself after a while in many cases. Thanks for all the responses.

So as far as I can tell from my experience and all your responses, this isn't something to do with my internet connection. I just wish Nintendo would engineer their systems so that stuff like this wouldn't happen. I'm glad to hear that the problem fixes itself after a while in many cases. Thanks for all the responses.
Yeah, well, if that happened then life would be too easy. It's not your internet itself, it's either just the router, like many of these other people, or interference of some sort, and in either case, just unhooking it all and letting it sit for a while before setting it back up will work like a charm.

I am a computer repairman by profession and I have come to find that my Wii acts about the same way as a computer does as far as wireless networking. I know you said that this didn't work in the origional situation that this tread is about, but as a helpful hint for those who have wireless problems I suggest a maneuver that is called Power Cycling. Turn off your modem, router, and all devices connected to your network. Then, turn your modem on. Wait for your modem to do it's thing. About one minute after all the lights on your modem stabilize turn on your wireless router. Wait for your router to do what it needs to do as well. Wait another minute again. Then, turn on the devices (computers, Wiis, other caming consoles, etc.) that connect to the network one at a time and make sure that they get internet access before turning on the next. This has a tendancy to fix about 60% of all Wireless internet problems regardless of if it is a computer, Nintendo, or even phone line that has the issue.

ive had that problem to connecting wirelessly alot till I just bought the Ethernet adapter for it.

it detects the wireless router usually but it dont connect beyond that, so I just said screw it. Sometimes though it will connect wireless.

Back