Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My Waning Pokemon Year

Dr. Mason

[[Note: this is not a cry for attention or asking you to send me money. Even if some crazy guy did, I'd send it back, so kplzthx]]

Ha, I didn't know where else to put this. Well, I'm 18 years old, and most of you who do know me from tournies know me as Chance B. I played Crawdaunt EX/Weavile early on this year and went on to Empoleon for most of the season.(I'm not a fan of decks like GG) I've played since Base Set, like ten years, and started competitive play...oh...three, four years ago?

I had really wanted, when I really got into competitive play a few years ago, to do really well. I found out about metagame quickly, and it always ticked me off. I had no one to play beyond playing at league, until I met my best bud Chris.(you rock)I still don't. I tried playing metagame, but I had played Pokemon for 5 years in a league where creativity was strongly encouraged, and I broke out of it to try my own decks. I have never won a tournament beyond prereleases. But I still had fun, so it was okay. Last year I started USSPCR, my attempt at a team to help new players in the game(as I had a lot of trouble starting out). It has failed horribly, but I'm hopeful for continuing it. Beyond that though, I had a great season, hitting top cut in BRs(more like final match haha) and Tennessee States. (bad hand to gatr ftl) GG greatly frustrated me, and I had the cards to play it for awhile, but I traded them away for cards to make my own decks, again. I tried my very best, but towards the end of the year, after I finally got a car too, my mother went on unpaid leave due to strong stress from her job programming systems for the government. They are treating her very poorly. I could not afford to go to Regionals. But we saved, and I managed to get to Nationals, where I did ok, still had fun. After I got back though, I learned that my mom would be quitting work permanently, and I don't blame her. She's just batty now, she was being run so hard.

This year is gonna be tough for me. I had really wnated to try getting an invite through ranking this year, but we have a recession right now, horrible gas prices, and our income has halved. I thought, "well I really want to keep at this, I'll get a job around campus." No such luck. My parents don't want me to, because my grades might get bad and then I'd lose my scholarship, and therefore, be out of college. I don't blame them there either. I just wanted to say, for those that do know me and care, that I won't be seen much this season. BRs, Cities around middle Tennesee, states if it's in middle Tennessee again. Almost definitely not Regionals, and just maybe Nationals. It also goes for card money, so I'm really going to have try with my decks, be sure with every decision. It might cost me a bit, but I love this game too much to quit, especially before I win a tourney. I'm going to try hard to come to what I can though and give you what I got. Go to Nashville Cities baby, I'll take you on!

Sounds like you've gone through a lot of the same stuff as me. The economy is shot at this point, and it's pretty sad. I know I'm getting crap for hours at my summer job (oh the joys of working in retail), but I'm managing to scrounge in enough money each month by selling on Ebay. Have stuff around your house that you don't need anymore? Sell it! You get rid of "junk" and make cash for it.

If you live on campus, you could always consider being an RA. I've been doing that for three years now, and it saves on housing, and I get a paycheck every two weeks as well. Most campus area businesses are good about not working students to the bone if you are interested in getting a job but are worried about grades.

Teams don't always get off the ground right when you create them. You have to work hard for a team/clan to work. See if you can get a store to sponsor you, like a local league store. Our league did that to our team, and they display trophies that our players win. They also bought us shirts with our tea logo on it. We may not be a well known team, but in our area, people know who we are. If your team gets some tournament wins under their belt, then that's a good sign.

Just don't lose hope just yet. Things will eventually work out.

Well good luck with your education, just really focus on that for now. I hope you'll find a good job once you complete it!

RA = Resident Assistant. Someone who is leadership/available to help on a dorm.

I'm going in to become an English teacher. There's never a shortage in teaching jobs, so I should be okay. :p

Don't worry too much about winning. I haven't won a Premier Event since the EX: Sandstorm prerelease. Like you I have been played since the game started. Over the past few years I have realized that my calling in this game is not to be a top notch compeditor any more. As a Pokemon professor I work closely with the local PTO to make the game run smoothly. That may or may not be the right choice for you. As far as priorities go I suggest sticking with the school work for now. Not going to college is one of my big regrets. I have a career that pays very well, but the lack of a diploma leaves a bit of a hole inside my ego. Whatever you choose I wish you good luck.

The game isn't always about winning, but having a good time. It's much easier to get new cards after selling old cards that are no longer needed. As for the metagame, if you know someone who goes to tournaments a lot, it could be just one person who can easily find out who's playing what around the area.

There were times in College, where I had to set pokemon aside-- but it wasn't the end of the world.
There are just other things that have to get done...

"It also goes for card money, so I'm really going to have try with my decks, be sure with every decision."

Budget decks FTW!

:p Thanks. Pokemon is like, my social deal though, haha. But whatever you're right. :p

mmmm not really BUDGET decks, haha.

Right now in pokemon you are more or less punished for being creative because very few decks have the ability to go toe to toe with Gardevoir/Gallade based decks. There is always the exception to the rule, but it takes an intimate knowledge of the game and only those who have played this game competitively for years have an eye for such decks.

As for your money issues, I'm sorry to hear that. If you cut down on the little things and focus purely on what you most want, you'd be surprised on how much money you can come up with. I've been able to gather enough dough to attend both nationals and worlds on a small $15 allowance per week by managing my money and resources wisely.

:p Well any help I can have with my deck ideas would be much appreciated.

Also, I am not to be allowed an...allowance.(haven't had one of those since I was 10) My car insurance cannot be afforded either, so I won't even have that. So, most likely the money will have to be earned on campus somehow.

I am rated n1 in my state and I haven't won anything all yr. lol

Winning doesn't always mean everything, as even though I haven't won anything, I have made top cut in most of the tourneys I have been to and have done well in swiss. For getting some exta money try cutting grass. GL

Back