Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

National Championship Report

Pooka

Master Trainer
Well, I got to Origins at about 8 on Saturday morning. I still had to make the decision on what to play. I finally decided on playing my Crobat/Banette. So I set my Crobat down, walked over to talk to someone for a minute, and came back to find that they were missing. -_- I went to the front to see if anyone had turned in any cards, but none were. So, I had to go to Plan B. I had not even tested this deck, but I got the idea from Martin. He told me to keep it a secret, but I had no other option. I had nothing else to use. Sorry Martin. ;x

I saw a lot of people I was happy to see again. Chuck, Ness, Seena, nikePK, YoungJohn06, swanton1717, BANGINBOX, Croc, TRUK, Coryace, CFK, and a lot more. I'm forgetting a lot of people. Anyway, the object of this deck is basically to swarm with Walrein. Oracle works beautifully with it. Milotic is there for backup, and if you need healing it can be helpful at times. Before the tournament I saw a lot of weird Shedinja decks, so I decided to throw in a Corsola just in case. I never used it. ;x Anyway, the tournament was SUPPOSED to start around 9:30, but we all know that wasn't going to happen. It started somewhere around 11.

Round 1 - Bye

Yeah, another hour to waste. I won the Illinois State Championship, so I got a 2 Round bye. I basically just walked around and looked to see who was playing what. Another hour of boredom.

1-0-0

Round 2 - Bye

Blah... another hour to waste. I really couldn't find anything to do. So I waited for some people to finish, then we talked and such. Ugh.

2-0-0

Finally, I got to play a game. We got paired and seated, then... lunch break? What the... Yes, they announced a 45 minute lunch break. So I went and got some new sleeves for my deck since mine were a little beat up. They were purple. ;x So we finally got finished with the lunch break, and I was trying to shuffle with my new sleeves but the cards kept slipping out of my hands. Probably wasn't a smart idea to put new ones on right before the round, but oh well. At last, we got to play.

Round 3 - Gardevoir (Michael Perucca)

I started off good, with a Dunsparce and such. I eventually got a few Walrein out and started rolling over his stuff. He got a Gardevoir ex out, but I had Desert Ruins and he had no counter gym. ;) I kept trying to stall with Spheal so Desert Ruins would slowly take away his HP, but the second time I got Tails and he got Heads to wake up. Ugh. In the end, the Walrein swarm was too much and I eventually got him. Probably the biggest reason I won was because he had 3 Boost in the prizes........

3-0-0

Round 4 - Blaziken

This guy was from Mexico, and he said he had been out of the game for a little while. He used Dunsparce, and got his Rayquaza ex out right away. Then I played my Desert Ruins. :) Anyway, I had another good start. He did as well, using 2 Rare Candy to get 2 Blaziken and evolving his other Torchic to Combusken, but when my turn came around, I used ATM Rock and devolved everything. Eventually his Rayquaza died, and I just swarmed with Walrein the rest of the way. Walrein was built to beat Blaziken.

4-0-0

Round 5 - Gardevoir (Tormentedsoul14)

I started out good, getting out 2 Walrein very fast, but there was a little problem. I had no energy. I kept using Crush Draw, but that didn't work either. There wasn't a whole lot I could do, and eventually he just got Gardevoir out and KO'd everything. I tried to put up a fight, but it didn't do anything.

4-1-0

Round 6 - Blaziken (ToysRUsKid)

Chris and I both knew we needed a win to make it into Top 16. I had a very good start, and he... didn't. I got a few Walrein out, and he got... a few Torchic out. He Burned my Walrein, and I kept getting Tails for the Burn Flip. After I KO'd the Torchic, he sent up Skitty and put me to sleep. I flipped tails for both Sleep and Burn. Lol. He got nothing but garbage the whole game. Eventually I wiped out everything he had.

5-1-0

Round 7 - Salamence/Milotic (Coryace)

I just have to say that this was one of the best games I have ever played. At first, I offered him a draw since we both probably would make Top 16 if we did. However, he didn't think he would, since his resistance was so low. Well, this game started off real bad for me. He got Salamence out really quick, but I had an opportunity to get 3 prizes off his 3 benched Feebas by using Sealeo. I used Super Icy Wind twice with Sealeo, and his Feebas were at 20 each... but I evolved my other Sealeo into Walrein! I don't know what I was thinking. So, he KO'd my Sealeo, and I was hoping for a Sealeo to evolve my benched Spheal... but no. All of a sudden he had taken 4 prizes to my none. I was starting to get a little worried, but I knew I wasn't out of this yet. We kept trading blows back and forth, then one of us would use Milotic when we were about to get KO'd. Here's where the game changer came. I Oracled for a Water and Crystal Shard and used Crush Draw to attach my Water to Milotic. Then I did 50 to Salamence. He brought up Milotic, hit it for 50. I play Crystal Shard, take out his Salamence. He didn't think I had one. We were both struggling to grab prizes, and eventually he was down to 1 prize, while I had 3. I did 50 to his Milotic with Walrein, and he used a Rare Candy to get to Salamence. He attacked with Milotic, and next turn I used ATM Rock. This is where the game started to get crazy. Remember how I blew my huge opportunity before by evolving into Walrein? Well, this time it was him making the mistake. My Walrein had 20 HP left. He sent up Feebas, and did 10 to Walrein. Afterwards, he realized... he had a Strength Charm all along! Ugh. I used a Warp Point, and I took a prize with my other Walrein after I benched another Feebas. He evolved Shelgon into Salamence, and I thought for SURE he had that Double Rainbow so he could use Dragon Wind, Agility, and KO my Walrein. However, he didn't. We were both at 1 prize. I evolved my Feebas into Milotic, and healed my Walrein. Whew. Time ran out and we were tied. Looks like we had to draw anyway. Great game.

5-1-1

Cory was mad afterwards because he thought he wouldn't make T16. The rankings went up... I was 8th. Cory made it too. After all that... ;x They did deck checks and I talked to Ness about some stuff since he was just getting into the game again. I still can't believe he made Top 16 after just starting to play again TWO days ago. He couldn't even remember half the cards' names. We got paired up, and the first round was about to begin.

Top 16 - Crobat/Gorebyss (Mr. Fuji)

Game one: Crobat is not a good matchup for this deck. I was a little scared going into this. I had my strategy, though. Don't evolve into Walrein until you get Poisoned. Well, the first game was pretty much garbage for him. He started with a lone Clamperl, and nothing really went right for him. I got a Walrein out eventually, and just ripped through whatever he had. I remember using ATM Rock to grab 2 prizes as well.

1-0

Game two: This time we both had decent starts. He got a few Crobat and Gorebyss out, I got a few Walrein out. In the beginning, I had to stall so my Walrein would survive, so I used Milotic to heal off the Triple Poison. It wasn't looking too good, but then I used Steven's Advice and drew into some good stuff. I eventually got another Walrein out and I think another Sealeo. I rolled my 12 sided die and got heads for Walrein's attack. He looked at it and said it was illegal. I had no idea, I just bought it. =\ So I put it away and stuck with the 6 sided dice. It was the end of the game, and I had 1 prize left. He had 3 Crobat in play, one with 60 damage and two with nothing. He tried to retreat... tails for Mirage Stadium. His own gym did him in. ;x After that, he scooped. I don't know why. I didn't even have him beat... and the Rock TM I was looking for was my last prize. Oh well...

2-0

Well, here's what the Top 8 looked like:

3 Gardevoir
3 Blaziken
1 Swampert/Magneton
1 Walrein/Milotic

Top 8 - Blaziken (YoungJohn06)

Game one: John knew what he was going up against. He needed an invite, but he said he didn't mind losing as long as he knew the person was good. Well, as I said before, Walrein was built to destroy Blaziken. However, it didn't exactly help that he had BOTH Rayquaza as prizes. Yeah, there wasn't a whole lot he could do. I got 2 Walrein and a Milotic out, all fully powered. He KO'd the Milotic, then I eventually took out Blaze ex and won.

1-0

Game two: Well, he did have a Rayquaza this time. But the bad thing is I got 3 Walrein out. Then, when he hit my Walrein for 100, I used Milotic to get rid of it. Basically the Walrein swarm took over. I ended the game by Sharding his Rayquaza. Great games John, you made them more than they should have been.

2-0

Well, I was happy that I got an invite, but I needed that trip to go. At this point, it was somewhere around 2 in the morning. Here's what the Top 4 looked like:

2 Gardevoir
1 Swampert/Magneton (TheAnswer3)
1 Walrein/Milotic (Me)

Top 4 - Gardevoir

Game one: Argh, I did not want to face Gardevoir. I think it's my worst matchup besides Metagross. Well, I started with a lone FEEBAS, so I didn't think this would turn out good. But then, he had an even WORSE start. Wobbuffet. ;/ He attaches and passes, I use Ascension to get Milotic after I benched the Spheal I drew. He attaches and passes again. I attach to Milotic, evolve to Sealeo, hit him for 30. He uses Flip Over. I play Walrein, Oracle, Crush Draw, play a Water on Milotic and KO his Wobbuffet.

1-0

Game two: When he drew his hand, I saw a huge smile on his face and he said "I win!" I kinda laughed. He went first, attached Ralts, Oracle. It was pretty obvious what was coming next. I use Strike and Run. He Rare Candy's to Gardevoir ex, KO's my Dunsparce. I send up Spheal. Play Desert Ruins, Paralyze him with Spheal. This went on for a few turns and I got set up on the bench while it happened. Eventually I got tails for the attack and he woke up. Desert Ruins eventually did him in, and he couldn't stop the Walrein swarm. Eventually I just overpowered him and knocked out his Gardevoir and Wobbuffet.

2-0

I couldn't believe it. I actually won a trip. I could care less about being 1st or 2nd at this point. I just wanted that trip. Jacy finally beat AJ in the other game, so I would have to face another Gardevoir. It was almost THREE in the morning at this point. Both of us just wanted to sleep. But we played anyway...

Finals - Gardevoir (radiostar)

Game one: Neither of us cared who won or lost. We were satisfied with the trips. Well, I started off good and he started off decent. I got Walreins like mad and just swarmed him before he could do anything. I kept taking out his 50 HP Basics and eventually I just took all my prizes.

1-0

Game two: I started off pretty bad, and he started off good. I just tried to stall out as long as I could, hoping for something to go my way. I don't remember much considering it was VERY late at night and I didn't really care anymore. Yeah I lost this one good.

1-1

Game three: This would be the deciding match, and I don't think either of us could've cared less, lol. This game is kind of a blur to me. I had a decent start, but his was much better. I was slowly climbing back into the game when I benched a Spheal, Oracled for a Sealeo, and hopefully would get a Walrein going to save me. He used a Reversal.... Heads. Damn. KO's my Spheal and my hopes of winning. All I could do is use Milotic, and eventually it died and I lost. He deserved the win though.

1-2

Overall, it was just a long day and I wanted it to end. We both got trophies and prizes. We took a few pictures and finally the day was over. 4 in the morning. :rolleyes: I had a lot of fun, though. It was great seeing people again, and meeting new people. Well, hope to see some of you at Worlds. Thanks for reading I guess. :)

Last edited:
God this still loses to Gardy. Poopka you played awesome all day and made it all the way to the finals with something as rogue as Waliren/Milotic Nice dude. I woulda liked to have seen Water vs. Water Finals but Meh. Cya at worlds dude and GJ again!!!

AJ

muy excelente pooka, with a rogue deck shows ure true skills bro...
too bad u lost to a garde tho, but it mustve been good.

Wow I didn't know that Walrein would do so good. Nice going Pooka, 2nd place is very good considering that was Nationals. :)

Yea GJ Pooka I only wish I could have made it farther then 12th. Wish I could have made that flip thought at the end. Gardy out with 90 on it and I was burned flipped got tails so I lost. Anyway congrats Pooka.

Congratulations!
I was so excited for making T2! (That's why I kept laughing during the matches)
:D

Great job!!

I'll see you at Worlds!

Last edited:
Kyle
Sweet report, mad english skills. It was nice to see you again and shoot the bull and play side games. I really like the deck and I am super happy for you. See you at worlds.

I honestly do not know what to say. I mean, you did use the deck I told you to keep to yourself when I playtested it against you. Good job winning the trip, but next time show friends a little respect maybe? Ouch.

Or at least don't post the decklist... :/

But congrats on winning the trip and see you at Worlds.

Last edited:
Hmmm...since all the other Nationals threads are in the main Tourney forum, I'm going to move this there; Nationals isn't exactly a Gym or Stadium Challenge. Thanks for understanding...*whoosh*

'mom

Wow I'm glad I read this thread. I just got back into the game a while back and I have been trying to make some decks to use and I was seriously making a water deck despite what I've heard about water being weak. I was going to use Walrein/Milotic as well my main concern was resistance though, I'm glad to hear you do so well with that deck though. I've had some pretty hard experiences against Crobat and Gardy decks, I have Regice EX in my deck to use against Crobat (do you think that is a good idea?) and also I don't know what to do against Gardy decks yet. =/

Congrats on making it to worlds.

Martin: I don't know what to say either. You trusted me and I made a horrible decision. As long as I continue to play this game, it will remain on my mind. I'll try to fix this somehow, but I don't know how yet. I know I have probably lost a lot of respect from you. All I can say is I'm sorry. I'll regret this forever.

PokePop: Well, the only reason I posted the list is because they told me it would be posted on the site anyway... but yeah, another dumb decision on my part. Thanks.

ultimate_healer, Pidgeotto Trainer, Venusaur, TheAnswer3, Krayzie, JasonthePwnda, |PoKeY|, PokeMasterFlabface, Tormentedsoul14, radiostar, swanton1717, psycodad, and Feraligatr: Thank you!

Peachyoto: Regice ex isn't a bad idea at all. Especially since one of the deck's problems is Crobat. Yeah, Gardy gives this deck a lot of problems, but what can you do. Thanks.

Pooka:

Why apologize?? You discussed a deck idea w/ a friend, your deck gets stolen on the day of the tourney and you are forced to regroup. Your "friend" should be happy for you and glad to see that it worked well in a BIG tourney, not just in playtesting. I guess your "friend" would rather keep a secret and let you drop out w/o a deck to use vs. seeing the "idea" work great!

My 2 cents
Keith

Back