Dates
United States — Indiana Convention Center
Fri Jun 29 - Jul 1 2012
2012 Pokemon U.S. National Championships
Points required 5000? need a comfirmattion
International
May - June 2012
K-Value: 32
The Pokémon TCG U.S. National Championships is a sanctioned title event open to U.S. resident players who have earned the requisite amount of Play! Points.

so once again the Pokemon nationals will be in indana again woot.
please dicuss your thoughts here

Last edited:
Have a feeling this will bring unhappy reactions from most of the country. I for one don't mind. :rolleyes:

The Play! Point restriction is interesting. These are the participation points, not the Championship Points for winning.

Play Points-
Pokemon.com said:
Play! Points
Beginning in early 2012, we’ll be implementing our Play! Points system to replace the existing Rewards Program. Players will earn Play! Points by simply attending qualifying Play! Pokémon events, with "destination events" earning you even more points. Play! Points will reward you for being an active Pokémon player—win or lose. Some special events each year will require Play! Points for entry. Plus, the top Play! Point earners in each division will earn Player of the Year honors for their dedication! We’ll have more details on the Play! Points program in the coming months. Until then, don’t worry; all qualifying events you attend in the months leading up to the launch of the system will count toward your Play! Points totals.

I have a feeling this is due to the fiasco with the people just wanting the free t-shirt last year...

That's good to hear! Seems like they'll be throwing nationals in Indianapolis for a few more years. I like it because of its convenient location with all of the Skywalks dotted in downtown. Now I just hope that they'll choose the right date for this year as opposed to last year, where they chose to throw the event when another major convention was going on.

Last edited:
Time to start guessing dates ^_^

I'm going off the Indiana Convention Center's Upcoming Events page, which might or might not be updated completely.

In past years, USNats has been on or around the 4th of July, so I'll be looking about 2 weeks in either direction to see what weekends might be possible for the game.

June 21-24: National Business Show, with an expected 7,000 people. Yeah, we're not running opposite of that.

June 28-July 1: Sports, Inc. Athletic show, expected 4,000 people. I'd much prefer not going up against that one, for the sake of reasonable hotel rooms.

July 5-8: Episcopal Church Triennial General Convention, expected 10,000 people. I know of towns with fewer people than that. Not a good weekend IMO...

July 12-15: Episcopal Church Triennial General Convention, expected 10,000 people. That ends on the 13th. Again, not a good weekend for Nationals.

July 19-24 would be a PERFECT weekend with very little going on at the Center, but we know that Worlds is on August 10-12, which would give them only a couple of weeks to get that set up. I doubt this date is possible.

June 14-17 also looks to be a great date for Nationals as there's NOTHING going on that weekend, but I'm not sure when schools let out, or when Battle Roads are being planned for this year.

if I had my choice, it would be the June 14-17 weekend. Then the June 28-July 1 weekend. The former is early enough and has nothing going on across from it. The latter is the smallest cross-convention, and we might actually be able to get downtown hotels for that one.

Time to start guessing dates ^_^

I'm going off the Indiana Convention Center's Upcoming Events page, which might or might not be updated completely.

In past years, USNats has been on or around the 4th of July, so I'll be looking about 2 weeks in either direction to see what weekends might be possible for the game.

June 21-24: National Business Show, with an expected 7,000 people. Yeah, we're not running opposite of that.

June 28-July 1: Sports, Inc. Athletic show, expected 4,000 people. I'd much prefer not going up against that one, for the sake of reasonable hotel rooms.

July 5-8: Episcopal Church Triennial General Convention, expected 10,000 people. I know of towns with fewer people than that. Not a good weekend IMO...

July 12-15: Episcopal Church Triennial General Convention, expected 10,000 people. That ends on the 13th. Again, not a good weekend for Nationals.

July 19-24 would be a PERFECT weekend with very little going on at the Center, but we know that Worlds is on August 10-12, which would give them only a couple of weeks to get that set up. I doubt this date is possible.

June 14-17 also looks to be a great date for Nationals as there's NOTHING going on that weekend, but I'm not sure when schools let out, or when Battle Roads are being planned for this year.

if I had my choice, it would be the June 14-17 weekend. Then the June 28-July 1 weekend. The former is early enough and has nothing going on across from it. The latter is the smallest cross-convention, and we might actually be able to get downtown hotels for that one.

How many people were involved with that fraternity thing? I seem to remember it being at least 10,000+. Not sure other things in the area were/are at the top of their agenda. I hope for June 14-17, but I don't see it sadly :frown:.

^ that is just a little early for most of the country. Alot of jr/sr bracket players are still finishing finals at that time.

Bullados, the quote has Nats May-June, why include July?

Cuz of the past dates of US Nats. It's almost always been either the weekend before or the weekend after Independence Day. I don't think that'll be changing. Schools let out in most of the US in early-to-mid June, and Worlds is the 2nd weekend of August. So late June or early July is just about the only time for USN to be held.

Unsurprising really, but Indy is a very nice location, with the huge convention center and generally centralized location relative to the USA. Not to mention that almost everything is connected with the skywalks, so it's not like you have to go outside even unless you want the fresh air or want to dine elsewhere.

I just wish the organizers would pick a solid weekend to hold the stuff on every year so, you know, you can actually book stuff in advance when it's cheap. I mean I know they hold other conventions at Indy obviously and at varying dates, but if POP is going to actively hold it in Indy every year, is it really that much harder to get a commitment of say the last weekend in June every year for the next X years, however long they want their contract to be?

I do not like the new system I liked it better you could just walk in and enter Natinals with out having to earn anything to be there. I liked it better when Worlds was invite only Might as well make Nationals Invite only as they are going at it. That what they done in the long run. Players who only can attend Leagues and 2 Battle Roads and 1 City a Year might as well give up on going to Nationals because they will more then likely be screwed over.

I do not like the new system I liked it better you could just walk in and enter Natinals with out having to earn anything to be there. I liked it better when Worlds was invite only Might as well make Nationals Invite only as they are going at it. That what they done in the long run. Players who only can attend Leagues and 2 Battle Roads and 1 City a Year might as well give up on going to Nationals because they will more then likely be screwed over.

Don't you think you should wait and see what the required points will be before you complain about it?

Again? I don't think my Grandparents are going to take me three years in a row. They really need a change of scenery, Indiana isn't easy to get to for a lot of the country.

Again? I don't think my Grandparents are going to take me three years in a row. They really need a change of scenery, Indiana isn't easy to get to for a lot of the country.

Huh? It's got major interstates branching out in 6 directions, with major US routes in the other three. It's got a 50 gate airport that services most major airlines with Delta using it as a minor hub. There are a good amount of hotels within walking distance of the Center. About the only place in the US that's easier for the majority of the country to get to than Indianapolis is Chicago. And there are plenty of issues (company cost paramount) that prevent Nats from being in Chicago...

from the way it seems to me, they just do not want Nationals being a players first event I would think. It would not surprise me if required points for entering was between 1 and 5 (pending on how many points leagues give)

Don't you think you should wait and see what the required points will be before you complain about it?

from the way it seems to me, they just do not want Nationals being a players first event I would think. It would not surprise me if required points for entering was between 1 and 5 (pending on how many points leagues give)

It does not matter how many Points it takes to get in. I do not think this is the way Pokemon should be going. They are to limit the number of players able to enter. Hell from the way they handle it I would say Leagues do not give any points to get you into Nationals.

I think the points have become a necessary thing to have. Judges have enough to deal with at Nationals as it stands, but, to have new players (aka, first event being nationals new players) adds that much more stress on the staff when it comes to judging, as well as their deck list. As long as those that judge a lot of the year, or happen to be PTOs not on staff, get to play, then this point system should be fine.

Last edited:
Back