Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Nationals Report - Scottish view/results! (or "How Cole got donked")

pokeguru

I got bored whilst unwell, so decided to write this up.

The 3 days beforehand, I was on an expedition with our school. Got my arms nicely sunburned, sleep deprived and depressed. So looked forward to a Pokemon filled weekend. Meet up with Andrew R at mine when I get back, then we head out to meet up with another Edinburgh player, Allan R. We playtest a little, despite my sleepiness, and try to modify Allans's DragTrode to see if it would work any better. It was kinda Noah's Ark-y - 2 of every trainer. =P We then drive up to Livingston and grab the minibus with Chalkey and the other Scottish pals. I try to sleep most of the way there, despite the loud banter of the 10-s and 11-14s talking about decks and playing Pokemon Link (European Trozei). I bring down my Scottish flag for the England v. Paraguay game and 7 hours later, we arrive.

We hang for about 2 hours, as we are so early, and I play against Andrew's Metro. It was that game that Andrew first beat BLS, which I was happy about. I'd been teaching him more skillful play tactics and he'd been starting to go to bigger events - this was his first Nationals and he was happy throughout. I get to speak to Andy and Ian again, and then we get inside. We fill in decks for registration and hand in the forms. Andrew has to get in queue twice as they don't have his address - they made a mistake about this which was sorted later.

After the horrendous delays (which gives me a chance to get owned by Kempley's energyless LunaSol and to speak with Chalkey, who's decided not to play), the pairings were posted. I have barely any recollection of names, but a light recollection of decks.

This is what we played:

15+
Cole B (me): BLS
Andrew R: Metro
Allan R: Dragtrode
Paul C: Typhlo/Ninetales
John F: can't remember

11-14
Owen McG: Birds
Conan J: can't remember
Kyle J: Arcanine/Magby
Alistair F: Meganium/Venusaur

10-
Ross A: T-Tar
Brandon: can't remember
Emma C: Queendom
Caitlin F: Can't remember

Round 1 v. Jane F (Paraflora)

Nice lady, but her sons interrupted the match a couple of times. I just couldn't get set-up fast enough and she took the win.

0-1

Lunch

Round 2 v. ??? (T-tar/T-tar ex)

I get bad start, but build up and manage to take the win relatively soon after the set-up.

1-1

I think about here, one of our players made a comment about another person's deck being marked. I don't remember who it was or who it was against, but the win for his opponent still stood.

Round 3 v. ??? (Typh./Metagross?)

Similar to Jane F, this guy appeared to get a god start and I got nothing.

1-2

Looking over my shoulder, I see Andrew R playing Freddy K. I see him move energy to his Metagross or something and Pow! something for the win, which I was really proud of. GJ Andrew!

Round 4 v. ??? (Queendom)

We both get good set-ups, but he admins a little too early (i.e. before playing his Milotic) and can't win. GG.

2-2

Andrew's 3-1 and almost guaranteed in. I need to win the next two, as does Allan. Paul's basically out, and I think John is too.

Round 5 v. ??? (Delta deck - Exxegutor/Golduck)

Close game, but a shocking Eggy which KOed the Steelix wins it for him.

2-3

Andrew is in T16 and Allan needs the next win to get in. I wanted to end up with at least a tying record, so hoped for an okay pairing.

Round 6 v. ??? (Birds)

I liked this guy. I played him last year in 11-14, round 3, Monarchy, when I used birds. He appeared to nick my idea and modify it for the next format. Unfortunately, I knew how to beat it. He got a bad start (lone Quaza) and I got set-up relatively quickly, and eventually took the game despite his hidden Ninetales HL tech. =D

3-3

I check rankings to see who from Scotland makes top cut.

15+
Andrew R

11-14
Owen McG
Kyle J

10-
Emma C
Ross A

I end up 32nd. =D So I help Andrew prepare for his first major top cut match, and when he starts, I look over at the other top cut matches. Ross A failed and didn't make further than T16, which was a shock as he made T4 both previous years. It sounded as though Emma C appeared to have problems with time in her match, which made her cry - not good. Additionally, Brandon had had barely any sleep the night before and little fluids that day, so he fainted and had to be taken to the medical room (he was okay later, but definately too hyper on the day). Kyle is eliminated, but happy getting top cut with rogue in his first Nats. Owen wins to make T8, as does Andrew.

Andrew then plays Yacine in T8 against his Arcanine, and ends up losing, but chuffed at T8 and a box in his first Nats. Owen makes T4 and plays against Nicholas F's DragTrode, but loses. He then plays against Shaun Banham's Dragtrode in the 3rd place playoff and wins in 2 straight games to win the trophy and goodies. True to form, as soon as he left, he was already trying to sell it. :tongue:

We got back to Livi at 5am the next morning very tired but relatively happy at our achievements.

Props go to:
All of our players having a blast on the day
All of our opponents (at least mine. =D) who were real fun and competative throughout.
TPfG for running the event
The eventual winners, who all deserved it on the day.
Chalkey, for taking us there and back, for remaining relatively cheerful despite not playing and for continually helping us over the past year to prepare for and to get to Nationals.
(Personal props also go to Pirrie, Kempley (and his notebook), Andy, Ian and Nitish for providing excellent banter throughout the day to keep me awake/sane-ish)

Slops go to:
Heat
Delays
Dehydration
Sleep Deprivation
No Celebi in 10th Anniversary downloads (Come on, Europe! How else can we complete our PokeDexes?!?)
Kempley, as he put me in his slops despite forgiving me for accidentally spilling a bottle of Fanta on his energy-less LunaSol

Thanks, and hopefully see you again at Nats 07, if not sooner!
~Cole

EDIT: Personal props also to Pirrie/Frosty for extra great banter whilst waiting for T4 11-14 to finish and a great game IRL for once. =D Dibs on us 2 in the finals of Nats 07. =P

Last edited:
whoo, GJ! Great report, loved the way you included all the Scottish players' results in it =D

better luck next year =)

pokeguru said:
No Celebi in 10th Anniversary downloads (Come on, Europe! How else can we complete our PokeDexes?!?)
Kempley, as he put me in his slops despite forgiving me for accidentally spilling a bottle of Fanta on his energy-less LunaSol

When people voted, you wasn't able to pick celebi or any other really rare pokemon. :(

w00t! I get personal props! IN YOUR FACE KISHY!!!

To add relevance, gj Cole! And yeah, it was nice to play a game with real cards for once...=/

<3 Roselia
Frosty

Back