Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Nats 09 Location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenshin's Garde

With the recent shenanigans at Nats 08 this year, there have been rumors going around that PUI is thinking of moving Nats to a different location.

Does anyone have any guess on where it might be, and WHY?

It wasn't so much that they let more than 512 Masters in; they didn't violate the cap for that "event." It's that they started to let Masters register as Juniors.

It's a badly-kept secret that Origins fouled up the registration for Nationals, thus forcing PUI to make it an open event instead of enforcing the caps they had originally declared.

However, I'd be very surprised to see Nationals move away from Origins. That tournament is a massive attendance draw for Origins -- a lot of them people that wouldn't go to Origins otherwise. You can safely estimate that 2008 Nationals was worth over $50,000 in badges for GAMA, and that's just counting the players (not the parents) and assuming they all did nothing but Pokemon. In all, including the residual, it's probably closer to $70,000 for them, maybe even $80,000.

They're not going to lose all that gate revenue without a fight. You can guarantee that GAMA is going to bend over backwards to make up for this year's errors and ensure that PUI comes back next year.

It was too overcrowded at Nats, but Origin made too much for them to let Nats move away, so you could safely say that it won't be moved.

Until someone from PUI comes into this topic and makes a formal announcement, any rumors are just that, unfounded rumors.

Just because someone else is saying that PUI is moving Nats, I would not put much into the idea until PUI says that. People have a way of thinking rumor is more real than fact.

I don't see it moving to GenCon, as it was rumored months ago by WPM on the Beach. Origins is a heck of a lot bigger to begin with, and I think the overall area is better. Bigger con center from what I've seen, and larger halls for the players. Plus the money that is brought in by our group. I just can't see it being moved.

Chairman Kaga- I think that might be precisely a reason for PUI to MOVE Nationals. Do you think it's fair for them to pay for the space at Origins where they are the ones that draw probably 1/3 to half of the player base there?

I would hope they would consider moving it.

Pokemon is the LAST major TCG that appears at Origins.

Almost all of the people coming into play at Nationals are there for the Pokemon TCG alone.

Having to pay to enter a venue is distasteful when you are only entering for one reason - the Pokemon TCG.

I would much rather pay $30 to enter another venue to play in Nationals in order to get the T-shirt and other pokemon swag for a Pokemon only event!

That all being said....I have no idea where Nationals is going to be next year.

Change does not seem to come easy in this game, and if we have had Nationals at Origins for 5 year, if I was a betting man, I would bet on 6.

Vince

Well Vince, its not like theres anything else to do at Origins. I think it is a good thing to have it there because of all the stuff you can do.

I loved it since my first Origins (2006) and I didn't complain about my cost of my badge. I found other events to do also outside of Pokemon.

there are pros and cons about where it can be.

~Duke

I thought the Non-Capped tourney was a huge sucsess.... Origins made a mint. Huge strides and numbers for PUI that the game is "alive"... And it's not like we didn't have enough room or tables for both Pods in Masters.... The place was full and booming..... Kind of a tournament that you can be proud that you were a member of.... What do you think sits best on Ginos plate??? Gino's beat the most people EVER... I say let the tourney keep on growing....

Vince makes a good point - IDK how many non-Pokemon people are interested in playing TCGs at Origins, as most of the TCG people are gone. I would definitely be fine with seeing Nats go somewhere else and pay like $20 for a Pokemon TCG/Video Game convention-type event.

I would hope they would consider moving it.

Pokemon is the LAST major TCG that appears at Origins.

Almost all of the people coming into play at Nationals are there for the Pokemon TCG alone.

Having to pay to enter a venue is distasteful when you are only entering for one reason - the Pokemon TCG.

I would much rather pay $30 to enter another venue to play in Nationals in order to get the T-shirt and other pokemon swag for a Pokemon only event!

That all being said....I have no idea where Nationals is going to be next year.

Change does not seem to come easy in this game, and if we have had Nationals at Origins for 5 year, if I was a betting man, I would bet on 6.

Vince

Congratulations Vince, you just proved a point for POP/PUI to keep it at the event. Origins is a MAJOR gaming convention. So if Pokemon is the main/only TCG their players who came for the others might be willing to give Pokemon a try when the might not of originally, thus helping the game grow. I like going to Origins because there are things other than Pokemon to do if you want. I am sure just as many people would not go to Origins if it was moved than if it was. I think it ends up being close to a wash.

About Gencon, this rumor needs to DIE right here. It CAN'T be a Gencon because Gencon and Worlds are on the same weekend or back to back weekends. That would be a nightmare for POP to figure out everything. It would be completely impossible. I think it will stay at Origins for the forseeable future.

Drew

I would love it if it moved. Might be harsh to say, but alot of the crowd that origins attracts is...not the kind of people I like to associate myself with. Most of the pokemon players themselves are okay, but there are a LOT of people that are not who I want to be around for a weekend. For instance, people like "The Ace" and such.

i sent an email to PUI in early August asking if Nats was going to be at Origins again this year (2009). They replied by saying they were unable to confirm the location.

I'm one of those people that likes everything else at Origins, so I'd be rather disappointed if it moved. But I go primarily for Pokemon, so I won't be going to Origins unless Pokemon is there.

I hope they confirm the location soon. It's very hard to get a hotel room close to the convention center in Columbus. I don't particularly want to go through the trouble if it turns out Nationals is going somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back