Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Negative Damage + Weakness = Damage?

unknown

With Diamond and Pearl being released, so is a new way of applying weakness.

Prior to Diamond and Pearl, weakness was calculated as twice the damage done. As such, if the damage somehow got to a negative number, twice a negative number is still a negative number, and no damage would be done.

Now weakness adds to the damage. However to add to damage, damage must be done. If an attack was to somehow be negative, do we still apply weakness (which may cause it to be positive), or do we stop and do nothing.

My first instinct is we do add the weakness to the damage (which is how I ruled), however thinking about it (perhaps overthinking) led to the thought of attaching Strength Charm to a Pokemon who's attack does not deal damage. In that situation there is no damage to add damage, and therefore no damage is done. I don't think that to be this case, but want to be certain.

The card that brought up this thought was Machoke. His first attack Karate Chop: "Does 40 Damage minus 10 damage for each damage counter on Machoke".

Assume:
Player A has Machoke with 50 Damage him, his opponent had a pokemon with a +30 Weakness to Fighting. Is damage done 0, or 20(40 - 50 + 30)?

Back