Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New! B&W Scans w/Translations

Caleb

Well, given that the only threads on this set revolve around GoW I figured I'd initiate the discussion on the other cards in the set. It seems like there's allot of really good cards just catching my eyes right off the bat. So how about we talk about some of the other new cards, and what sorta decks you think will be approaching with the changes (both pre, and post rotation).

As for me, one of the cards that first caught my eyes was this little guy:

PokeBeach said:
Chillacchino – Colorless – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Chillarmy

[C] Sweep Slap: Flip 2 coins, this attack does 20 damage times the number of heads.
[C][C] Do the Wave: Does 20 damage times the number of Pokemon on your Bench.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

Being a stage 1, and with DCE in the format, it seems like this could be incredibly broken, especially with its high damage output. 2 for 100, or one DCE for 100 is an incredible deal! I can just see the cries of agony right now. Only really disadvantage I can see is the glaring weakness, but being a stage one with no specific energy cost leaves room for techs.

The other card I saw that I was really enthralled with was the Enbuoh with the Fervid Dance (basically rain dance for fire, without having to be attached to only fire). I already posted my reason for the like in another thread, but basically the combo is perfect with Forretress LA, for a OTK deck.

Any other nasty plots (yay pokemon puns!)? I'm sure there's plenty of other combos people are hoping to pull off.

EDIT: Probably should have put this in originally. Link to Scans/Translation: http://pokebeach.com/tcg/black-and-white-collection

I only saw three cards that I think will be competitive.

Gust of wind
Proffesor Oak
The fire Pokemon similar to Feraligatr Prime, except it can attach to all types of Pokemon.

The fire Pokemon will only be competitive with Foretress and Unown with Return. (I'm not even sure if this will be good or not)
Gust of wind will mainly be good in Gyarados and Machamp.
Proffesor Oak will only be good in Gyarados.

I can really see Gyarados becoming BDIF, now being able to take out Lucario GL with GOW.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm trying to evaluate these cards with HGSS-on in mind rather than the April-July window before rotation.

I love Gust of wind reprint.
I like Enbuoh(for his rain dance ability for fire energies); could partner him up with reshiram.
Tsunbear is slightly annoying. wish his attacks cost 1 less energy.

Gothruzelle is interesting but slightly subpar. I guess PPP for 90 is okay. Vileplume EX reprint
Vuljiina is ok; decent sniper for D.
I like Gegegearl's ability to move metal energies around. his attack are horrible.

I love Chillacchino's Do the Wave. CC for up to 100.
I love Buffalon as a tech if your deck plays DCE(nice partner with Chillacchino) or can attach multiple energies per turn. Pair him up with Gust of wind reprint and/or Black Belt(130 for CC). 90 for CC is nice everytime your pokemon gets ko. 100 hp basic colorless pokemon. Buffalon would have been almost broken if its retreat cost was C and almost a staple in Luxchomp. He can one hit ko every pokemon in luxchomp mirror except for Luxray Gl lv x and he can only be one hit ko by toxicroak g promo.

Energy Retrieval is nice.
Max restore is just mean in gyarados.
Professor Araragi is pretty nice.
I wonder if you can stack Jalorda's ability.
Daikenki has Donphan "Prime" pokebody.
Zoroark is interesting. nice tech depending on metagame. "ability" to use your opponent's active pokemon attacks without the need for paying its energy cost or its cost(ie discarding energy cards) is nice.

Last edited:
Gyarados has to rotated before max restore comes out. Otherwise Gyarados is BDIF for the next format.

Nah, Gdos' biggest enemy OHKOs it most of the time anyway.

We all know the trainers are amazing but here are the pokemon I liked.

Buff pokemon alert:

Daikenki – Water – HP140
Stage 2 – Evolves from Futachimaru

Ability: Shell Armor
Any damage done to this Pokemon by attacks is reduced by 20.

[C][C][C] Hydro Pump: Does 70 damage plus an additional 10 damage times the number of Water Energy attached to this Pokemon.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Retreat: 2

and trainer lock gets another friend:

Gothruzelle – Psychic – HP130
Stage 2 – Evolves from Gothmiru

Ability: Magic Room
As long as this Pokemon is in the Active position, your opponent can’t play any Goods cards from his or her hand.

[C][C][C] Mad Kinesis: Does 30 damage plus an additional 20 damage times the number of Psychic Energy attached to this Pokemon.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)

this guy is cool:

Buffalon – Colorless – HP100
Basic Pokemon

[C][C] Revenge: 20 damage. If any of your Pokemon were Knocked Out by damage from an attack during your opponent’s lat turn, this attack does an additional 70 damage.
[C][C][C][C] Afro Break: 80 damage. Flip a coin, if tails this Pokemon also takes 20 damage.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)

and my favorite from the set:

Torneros – Colorless – HP110
Basic Pokemon

[C] Energy Well: Choose 1 Energy attached to one of your Benched Pokemon and move it to this Pokemon.
[C][C][C] Gale Force: 80 damage. Choose 1 Basic Energy attached to this Pokemon, and move it to one of your Benched Pokemon.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 1

T2 80 with a basic? Yes please

Gyarados has to rotated before max restore comes out. Otherwise Gyarados is BDIF for the next format.

You realize B&W will be our set before Nats don't you? Barring Mid-Season rotation they'll exist at the same time. Also as already mentioned, his main opponent one shots him. Special conditions can also be annoying, as to why I would prefer Warp Energy + Seeker.

@xcfrisco

Daikenki - I like it, but it just seems inferior to Donphan. +20HP for being a stage 2, and worse attacks just doesn't seem to boost it. On the good side, it will probably beat Donphan in head to head. =D

Gothruzelle - I like this card, it won't replace gengar, but is definitely ideal for a trainer lock deck.

Buffalon - I totally agree, this card is a beast.

Torneros - Unless you're playing floatzel, or something that attaches to itself, it's only T2 with a DCE. D=

@dave628

Agree with you on must things except Zoroark, and even then I like the card, it's just a technical thing. I don't think he skips requirements, usually it's just written on a card for clarification. For instance, if you copy an attack that requires you to discard two fire, you would need to have the two fire in order to use the attack. The text that's in most other attacks of that nature is just a reminder. There's a ruling in the compendium about a similar thing when a card say it does 30 damage to a bench (but doesn't mention don't apply weakness and resistance). You still don't apply either of them (there are exceptions to this, but they mention on the attack).

@Deoxys Cool Form

I think you're seriously underrating the set, but I guess it's just opinion. You cannot deny the awesomeness that is Chillacchino! >=D

You realize B&W will be our set before Nats don't you? Barring Mid-Season rotation they'll exist at the same time. Also as already mentioned, his main opponent one shots him. Special conditions can also be annoying, as to why I would prefer Warp Energy + Seeker.

Ummm . . . just because the cards are in the JAPANESE B&W set, it doesn't mean they will be in ours.

Have we forgotten what happened to Lost World and Vileplume already? Did they appear as expected?

I understand what you're saying Baby Mario, but you do realize they have to print something in the set. I can't imagine them not printing that starters at the very least. I can agree a couple of the trainers will be left out, and probably a few pokemon, but I highly doubt we're going to get left out of everything.

Obviously they'll print the starters and most of the other cards.

Whether Max Restore and Gyarados will exist in the same format is maybe not so sure.

At least 90% of translations that get hyped on the Gym turn out to be utter failures once released. It's almost like a jinx on here.

xD If your talking about max restore, I already mentioned I'm not enthralled with it. I was just making the point that all these people saying we won't have B&W this rotation are wrong barring a mid-season rotation (or TWO filler sets? xD)

first of all, those 'legends' look really cool. like awesome. i can't wait to get those over here. trainer-wise, i like this set. i foresee junk arm going up in popularity.

Gyarados with expert belt needs 3 crobat drops to get koed by Luxray, if you play max restore you healed like 120 damage. I wouldn't underestimate that power. Altough if Lost world gets really popular, gyarados won't be that good.

Pokemon that really stood out to me:

Metal-type Energy Trans:
Gegegearl – Metal – HP140
Stage 2 – Evolves from Gegearl
Ability: Gear Change
Choose 1 Metal Energy attached to one of your Pokemon, and move it onto one of your other Pokemon. This ability can be used any number of times during your turn.
:metal::colorless::colorless: Gear Saucer: Flip 2 coins, this attack does 80 damage times the number of heads.

Along with the GoW spider gun reprint, the ER2, Recycle and Oak reprints, And Emboar, Zoroark, and the chinchilla that knows Do the Wave, which are already spoken for, I like the set.
Also, having not paid attention to the new Pokemon, I had no idea there was a polar bear Pokemon. This is the best.

If Gyarados isn't BDIF when ALL the cards in this set are out, I do believe that I will...

eat a sock or something.

If Gyarados isn't BDIF when ALL the cards in this set are out, I do believe that I will...

eat a sock or something.

Forretress/Enbuoh will be the BDIF if that happens. =P

The problem with max potion is that Gdos's biggest problem (luxray gl) one shots it. Not to say max potions not good, but think it's slightly overrated. Especially because it doesn't get rid of special conditions, and effects (like warp+seekers can). Plus warp+seeker has allot more viability doing other things (mesprits).

Gyrados w/belt simply takes a thrash bolt and one crobat flariados. Have you ever played the match-up before?

And yes, the legends look awesome. Like the 130HP on a basic too.

No, I haven't.

But Luxray must give up 3 energies to 1 shot Gyara. Gyarados just plays Rescue. Gyara gets a LOT more out of this set than just MaxPotion. GoW, Oaclone, other stuff.

Back