Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New Fossil mechanic revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very positive, now we do not have to fear that evolution-decks are compeltely dead because of that other fossil. People, the domesday has been postponed. SOme time.

This is very interesting. Doesn't put the fossil at risk like before. I would say positive. Though it still has it's cons, Trainer lock will still prevent these from even touching the playmat.

Right...they made them even harder to play; pro move I think not. I'm sure someone will run the math somewhere, but the chance of getting the right Basic in your top 7 cards isn't exactly that great, unless you thinned out your deck quite a bit...at any rate, certainly kills any ideals of Archeops tech in decks.

IMO, they should have still left the HP on the Trainer so it can be played as a Basic still, but with the text to help search out the evo within 7 cards; now that would have been far more effective, as even if you whiff on the effect, at least it's still sitting on your bench and you can just evolve into it when you search out the right evo, or Candy it. But now, if you don't get lucky within the top 7 cards, you pretty much wasted it. Not to mention, think of how the heck you're supposed to build this; you can whiff on 3/4 trainers potentially and maybe get one out, leaving you with 2-3 dead copies of the revived and evolved form in your deck, so unless you have your Junk Arms prepared...

So yeah...fossils continue to fail. Just give up on the crap mechanic and make the one form a Basic, the other a Stage 1, no lame Trainers. No fossil yet besides Aerodactyl all the way from Fossil has been even remotely competitive, let alone playable, and with these new rules I don't see Archeops becoming anything more than a fanciful idea. Unless they seriously decide to give fossils powers comparable with Prime, Legend, or EX cards, they're still not worth the effort to get out and use.

Last edited:
The new fossils look almost overpowered. i'm actually glad for once that fossils are hard to get out. archeops would pretty much destroy evolution decks if it was as easy to get out as a normal pokemon.

Pokemon Catcher has already destroyed evolution decks.
Some people just haven't realized it yet.

interesting though i think they should've added to the fossil card that if you have the basic in your hand you can play it that way as well, hopefully they'll add other ways to pull the basic to your bench like a new version of fossil excavator or mysterious fossil.

this also brings up the fact tirtouga is listed as a revived poke and not a basic, and i assume it will also be considered an unevolved poke.

course this also makes tirtouga/archen as obvious choices when using cards like poke communication as the one to put back

Wow, what a horrible mechanic for getting out a fossil card. The only reliable way I can see to get out a fossil out is to run something like 3 Archen, 3 fossil, 4 research records and maybe even pokédex. Good luck getting a fossil when you could be trainer locked or catchered the turn after you play it down.

Wow, what a horrible mechanic for getting out a fossil card. The only reliable way I can see to get out a fossil out is to run something like 3 Archen, 3 fossil, 4 research records and maybe even pokédex. Good luck getting a fossil when you could be trainer locked or catchered the turn after you play it down.
You'd also need 4 Pokemon Communication, so that you can put them back into your deck if you draw them. Cards like Cleffa have a high risk of re-drawing them.

Archeops is dead = Happy Panda. :biggrin:
Ancient Turtle-Tank-Thing is mostly unplayable = Sad Panda :frown:

Right...they made them even harder to play; pro move I think not. I'm sure someone will run the math somewhere, but the chance of getting the right Basic in your top 7 cards isn't exactly that great, unless you thinned out your deck quite a bit...at any rate, certainly kills any ideals of Archeops tech in decks.

Archeops being easy enough to set up to be a tech in anything is a bad idea, that just helps the high HP basics even more, this way is a lot better, decks have to have a strong emphasis on fossils for it to work. There are quite a few possibility's with the fossil Pokemon (both of their ability's are awesome) and it'll be cool to see how they end up fitting into the metagame and if they make an impact. As above posters have mentioned, cards like Research Records can make this work.

Ancient Turtle-Tank-Thing is mostly unplayable = Sad Panda :frown:
Yeah I suppose having a type advantage over 3 huge metagame threats (Donphan, Reshiram and Emboar) and not being weak to lightning (uh-oh Zekrom and Megnezone) whilst having an ability that can turn the tide of the game on a coin flip (completely messes with Magnezone going for 1HKO with Lost Burn and Zekrom/Reshiram with their respective attacks and 2 Pluspowers) is grounds for making a Pokemon unplayable.

I cannot wait to play with these cards.

Last edited:
catcher will be out before fall battle roads, if you're not playing the rest of this season, sell your magneboar stuff because it won't be seen this time next year

I honestly think that the new fossil mechanic is very balanced. Archeops is an amazingly powerful Pokemon that would be broken if Rare Candy were usable on it. Making it a stage one and introducing the new mechanic is a definite check on the card. I do think that this could combo really well with Zekrom. I know I want to play it already, and it's 2-3 sets out for us yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back