Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New guy needs some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrieg916

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums and fairly new to Pokemon TCG. I've only been playing for a little over a month now.
I used to use a grass deck but I decided to switch over to a Dark/Psychic (well...mostly Psychic).
I think my deck does pretty well the way it is, but like all players, I'm constantly looking for ways to improve it.

Can anybody make some suggestions as to what cards I should add/remove to help my deck reach its full potential?

Here's my decklist:

Pokemon (21)

1 Dusknoir Lv.X SF-96
1 Duskull DP-80
1 Duskull SW-86
2 Dusclops DP-47
1 Dusknoir SF-1
1 Dusknoir SF-17
1 Gengar AR-17
1 Haunter AR-41
1 Gastly AR-36
2 Crobat G PL-47
2 Grimer UD-50
2 Muk UD-31
1 Darkrai GE-3
1 Darkrai G RR-3
1 Absol G SV-1
1 Honhkrow G PL-77
1 Smeargle SW-66

Trainers, Supporters, Stadiums (22)

1 Expert Belt AR-87
1 Rare Candy UL-82
1 Moonlight Stadium GE-100
2 Bebe's Search RR-89
1 Professor Elm's Training Method HS-100
1 Luxury Ball SF-86
1 Pokemon Collector HS-97
1 Pokemon Communication HS-98
1 Great Ball SF-85
1 Technical Machine TS-1 LA-136
1 Poke Ball HS-95
2 Cheerleader's Cheer UL-71
2 Professor Oak's Visit AR-90
2 Bill HS-89
1 Energy Restore AR-86
1 Energy Search TK2B-9
2 Interviewer's Questions UL-77

Energy (17)

10 Psychic Energy - Basic
6 Darkness Energy - Basic
1 Rainbow Energy - Special HS-104

As for the strategy so far:
Using Dusknoir lv.X and Dusknoir (SF-17) and Dusclops to damage multiple pokemon at once. Using this in combination with Honckrow G's Target attack lets me hit for even more damage since the opponent's pokemon will already have damage counters on them.
Gengar, Haunter, Gastly, Duskull (SF-80), Absol G are all able to target the bench to get some damage on those pokemon before they even become active.
Using Crobat G (Toxic Fang)), Muk (sludge Drag), Darkrai G (Darkness Sleep), and Gengar (Poison Jab) to Poison, Confuse, Sleep. These Special Conditions help boost these Pokemons attacks (Muk's Pester, Darkrai G's Poke-Body).
Grimer's Sticky Liquid increases the retreat cost of the opponent's active pokemon By 1, which can help slow him down.
Basically, I want to get in as much damage as possible on as many of my opponent's Pokemon as possible, and using Special Conditions to slow down his game as much I can. I don't have many heavy hitters, so I want to use their effects as much as possible.

I don't really have much trouble pulling out the Pokemon I need, I need more help in pulling out Energy.
Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Per gym rules please post your strategy soon or this thread will be deleted. Thank You, evil psyduck

Well, this is my opinion. Bill is not a great card. You can keep those if you want but I see you didn't include Professor Oak's New Theory. This let's you shuffle your hand into your deck and draw 6 cards. If you ever get bad starts, this can help you get a better hand. You might want to consider those instead of Bill. Bill will slow you down because it is a supporter. So while you may draw 2 cards for your supporter on the turn, you can't use any other supporters that will help you setup faster, such as Bebe's Search.
Another good card which I see as a must have in this deck is Uxie LA. his is a staple in many decks because if it's power. Uxie LA has a Poké-Power called 'Set-up', which allows to draw cards until you have 7 in your hand when you put it from your hand onto the bench. Not not only will this card fit nicely into your psychic and dark theme deck, but it will also provide a great way to get more cards! It has a decent attack. For 1 of any type of energy, it can 20 damage and you may put Uxie and all cards attached to it to the bottom of your deck. By doing this, you can get Uxie back out again and use it's 'Set-up' power again to get even more cards. And how do you get Uxie if it's at the bottom of your deck? Simple. Use your Bebe's Search and Pokémon Communications!
You might want to include a Broken Time Space or two. Since alot of your Pokémon evolve, this will come in handy.
Oh, and just one more thing. You might want to add some Special Dark Energy. I know you can't search for it with Energy Search, but you can get them with Interviewer's Questions!

This is only my advice, I am also new to the game :) Hope this helps.

Edit: If you can't get the Energy you need, I strongly suggest 2 or more Roseanne's Research. It's is a staple if almost every deck. It will help you get the Energies you need.

Edit: If you can't get the Energy you need, I strongly suggest 2 or more Roseanne's Research. It's is a staple if almost every deck. It will help you get the Energies you need.

Roseannes is no longer legal

Roseannes is no longer legal
OBJECTION! *slams desk*
This list is clearly not MD-on if Duskull and Dusclops are in it!

Thank for the tips so far!
I have a couple of the cards you mentioned so I'll add them in. I'll see if I can get my hands on the others.

And yeah it sucks that Roseannes research got banned.
And sorry if this is a dumb question, but what exactly do you mean by "This list is clearly not MD-on if Duskull and Dusclops are in it!"?
Are my Duskull and Dusclops no longer accepted?

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically... every year, rotation occurs. This is when several sets are 'rotated out'. When a set is rotated out, no cards from that set can be used in tournaments. Currently, the legal sets are Majestic Dawn and onwards. Secret Wonders and Diamond & Pearl have been rotated out. If you to use this deck in tournaments, it would not be allowed because you are using cards that have been rotated out!
But if it is for casual play. Go ahead and play whichever cards you like!

ya i know about rotation i just didn't realize it happened to DP and SW. Man that sucks. I never play tournaments but I was about to start :p

Are there any Duskull or Dusclops in other series that are still acceptable?

---------- Post added 09/02/2010 at 10:30 AM ----------

Ok I just realized there's some in SF. Those are still good right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back