Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New Mulligan Rules

SonicAD

I was looking through the new rulebook, and saw the rules have changed slightly for mulligans. Just want to get it publicized a bit better before the bulk of League Challenges start:

If both players have no Basic Pokémon in their opening hands:
Both players reveal their hands, then just start over as normal.

If only one player has no Basic Pokémon in his or her opening hand:
That player announces that he or she has a mulligan, then waits until the other player has placed his or her Active Pokémon, Benched Pokémon, and Prize cards.
Then, the player with no Basic Pokémon reveals his or her hand, then shuffles it back into his or her deck. The player does this until he or she gets an opening hand with a Basic Pokémon, then proceeds as normal.
Then, the player who did not have to start over may draw a card for each additional time his or her opponent took a mulligan. For example, if both players took 2 mulligans, and then Player A took 3 additional mulligans, Player B may draw up to 3 cards. If any of those cards are Basic Pokémon, they may be put onto the Bench.
Then, reveal all Pokémon, and begin the game.

http://assets20.pokemon.com/assets/cms/pdf/tcg/rulebooks/XY_Kalos_Starter_Set_Rulebook_EN.pdf

It seems the point is to have your opponent place an Active before revealing your mulligan hand. But is there a functional difference from the previous rules?

The old rule was such that if you didn't draw the mulligan card right away, you lost your right to it. Now, most people really didn't care about it and would let you anyway, but if someone wanted to call a judge on it you could be restricted to drawing for just the final mulligan.

From the current compendium, sure to be changed soon:
"Q. When my opponent fails to draw a Basic Pokemon in their opening hand do I have to draw my card right away, or can I wait to see if there are more Mulligans before drawing my cards?
A. The current rulebook says, "Each time your opponent shuffles his or her hand back into his or her deck because there were no Basic Pokemon, you may draw an extra card!" So you must draw the card when the shuffle takes place or you are assumed to have passed on your option to draw a card. (Jan 3, 2013 TPCi Rules Team)"

This is sorta a big deal. Knowing what cards your opponent plays before you place a basic can be a big deal, and now that isn't possible. It's unfortunate this has gone so under-the-radar, though. Most people probably have no idea about this.

I thought you waited until your opponent played a basic, though in tournament play, I've not always waited and neither have my opponents. Still I'dve sworn it was in the rules.

Last edited:
What happens if both players mulligan? Neither player is supposed to reveal this to the other, so then they're just sitting there... Have I missed something?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's somewhat different from what I've read before, and I didn't notice the difference. You can announce it, just not show it.

You're all missing the big news!

This is the VERY FIRST TIME that Pokemon has used the word "Mulligan" officially!

This is sorta a big deal. Knowing what cards your opponent plays before you place a basic can be a big deal, and now that isn't possible. It's unfortunate this has gone so under-the-radar, though. Most people probably have no idea about this.
I think you are misunderstanding this rule or its previous incarnation. It has never been true that a player who mulligans must show their hand to their opponent before that opponent plays an active basic, except in the case where both players mulligan at the same time. Or am I misunderstanding you?

The only difference introduced by this ruling is whether I must draw my free mulligan cards as they come one at a time or whether I can choose how many to draw after knowing the number of mulligans.

I think the thing we can all agree on is no 2 people could agree on how it worked.

We're trying to make it VERY SPECIFIC. How often does it matter? Not very, but when it does, we want something you can point directly to.

I think the thing we can all agree on is no 2 people could agree on how it worked.

We're trying to make it VERY SPECIFIC. How often does it matter? Not very, but when it does, we want something you can point directly to.

Very good.

When I revise a procedure at work, the document will have a History section, which shows what changes have occurred from previous versions, either additions or revisions so that people that are very familiar with the document can tell easily what has changed. Something like this might provide value for experienced players as well as players from previous formats that are getting back into the game. Just a thought.

As a very vocal, cranky critic I wanted to say "Thank you" in a more pronounced manner and highlight that the text presented in the beginning of this thread seems to explain the mulligan process quite well.

The term mulligan is used in official capacity, making it easier to phrase things. The procedure is explained in what I believe is clear and sufficient detail - more detail would likely obfuscate and confuse things as people overlook the answers in front of them, and less detail would of course leave things unanswered.

I'm pleased with this ruling. :) I heard that at one point it was that you had to draw instantly or miss out. It also helps clear up the question of whether you can play set-up (like more benched Pokemon, or a different active) from mulligan draws, which I remember being an issue once upon a time.

What is the ruling, though, if an opponent tries to draw immediately? In the end, you'd get the same card whether you wait or not, but would it be like accidentally drawing extra cards or drawing before your turn starts? They have to reveal the card as public knowledge and then return to their deck and wait? (Forgive me if I'm not being clear in my explanation…)

For the record, the old rule book did tell how to resolve mulligans, you just have to decipher it a bit. The section labeled "How to start a game" gives step by step instructions on how to set up. If you read it like you are just one player, it reads pretty simple:

Shuffle, draw, place active, place bench, set prizes, coin flip, both players flip Pokemon.

In the vain of "do as much as you can" that is a common theme in Pokemon, you shuffle, draw, place active, place bench, set prizes. Now, whether you flip next if your opponent mulligans isn't exactly clear, but it is clear that mulligans must resolve before revealing Pokemon. Whether or not your opponent mulligans has never had anything to do with basic set up instructions; you still follow the instructions, they are independent of your opponent's mulligan. Common sense would say, I place my active. At this point, my opponent can't, they can reveal their hand.

I've always waited until my opponent placed their active before I've revealed a mulligan.

As for the rule change, its a bit weird. I don't see what purpose letting you decide whether or not you want to draw at the end.

More importantly, how exactly does that allow for drawing?

It has two sets of wording:

1st:
Then, the player who did not have to start over may draw a card for each additional time his or her opponent took a mulligan.
2nd:
For example, if both players took 2 mulligans, and then Player A took 3 additional mulligans, Player B may draw up to 3 cards

The first implies that cards are drawn one at a time and can stop at any time. The second implies that all cards are drawn at once and must be declared before drawing. This is situationally relevant.

So with the new rules I am confused even further. I have always waited to set prizes until I have my basic pokemon out front I.e. I've drawn my hand, set active, set bench, set prizes in that order. However if I mulliganned I would not even reach the prizes. In other words, I always drew my opening hand and if I had no basics I'd alert my opponent, show him and send it back.

I'm confused on the timing though. If my opponent is still setting up, I.e. Deciding which pokemon to put out and I mulligan, does the opponent have to finish setup before they draw their extra card?

Basically it seems like with the new rule that the opponent ends up waiting for me if I keep mulliganing.

Considering what they changed in first turn rules, I wouldn't be surprised if mulliganing x amount of times will result in a game loss

Your opponent always had to finish setting up before drawing for a Mulligan.

You do not show your opponent your Mulligan hand until they have finished setting up. Then you shuffle and set up (or Mulligan again). Once you have set up, they can draw their Mulligan card(s).

Back