Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Next Gen Starters?

SirKibbleX

So who are going to be the new starters now that TM-TS1 is coming? I'm thinking we might see a resurgence of Pachirisu (smash short) and Furret. Any new starters I should keep my eye out for?

Have starters died?

Hmm good question.

Imho, starters havn't died as a whole, some who don't feel the need for call for familily (like the eeveelutions deck) can still have to use for a pachirisu start. However call energy did change a huge ammount of decks. Now the starters who will get populair are just populair because they can save you.

I think the die-hard users of G&G (like me, heck, I just like Gallade) will increase use of mr. mime, if they know what's good for them ^^.

Also the Kingdra decks will see a bit of light, however I think the hype will get down (like with Bannette) because it sounds great but with so much more basic killers the Kingdra deck is to dependant on not getting the first turn, becaus if they do the horse will call some more horse and will get smashed by guys like machamp/jirachii and mightyena.

If people can use the potential the metal deck has Jirachii will also see play, infact it is not that much better as pachirisu, however it has a attack that 1hko's a pokemon for 2 energy discard. Which is great.

All in all I expect some of the same starters but then again, if the championships 2009 starts I expect that every deck can be good and the diveristy will be the exact opposit of this year (who was dominated by G&G)

I also think the diversity is back in the game because all ready we have so many new decks (gliscor,magnazone,elf trio,kingdra, tenacruel and lanturn,rypeirior,empoleon, eeveelutions, gardy-yes people will still play it ) theres 9 off the top of my head compared to emp,gardy for this years end of format lol

Looking at a lot of the utility, many different guys look to be efficient starters, just because certain things replace others. Obviously TM1 replacing Phione and Call Energy replacing Pachirisu. I have to go with the above poster and say that Mime will probably be all over the starter slot because he's a great stall and wall and can be utilised even better with both of the tools mentioned.

Pachirisu could still see some play regardless due to Bubble Coat and the countless Unown tools being played, but it obviously won't cut down the TM's.

I'm looking at Pumped Mr. Mime, which:
- is evolved from Mime Jr.
- Has TM01 and TM02 attached
- Carries Call Energy
- Obtains Unown Q for free retreat.

Practically invinsible.

^ and also required massive amounts of resources to set up...

You'd need to start with Mime Jr, Roseanne for Mime and Q, and Topdeck Call and TM01 and 02.

Come IFDS, Sableye should be the dominant starter. For those who don't know what he does....

Spoiler

Sableye LV.31 – Darkness – HP60
Basic Pokemon

Poke-Body: Rashness
If this Pokemon is an Active Pokemon when the cards are flipped over at the beginning of the game, regardless of who won the coin toss, the owner of this card goes first. (This Body doesn’t work if the opponent’s Active Pokemon also has a Rashness Poke-Body.)

[.] Human Mimic: Search your deck for a Supporter card, discard it, and shuffle your deck. Then, use the effect of the discarded card as an effect of this attack.
[D] Overreach: 10 damage. If the Defending Pokemon’s remaining HP is less than Sableye’s remaining HP, this attack does 40 damage instead of 10.

Weakness: none
Resistance: Colorless (-20)
Retreat: 1

Rashness is a really good ability, you can play supporters on your first turn, and get ahead of the energy curve, and if they run a 40 hp basic(Extremely long shot) You can donk them on the first turn.

I would say it's the best "Starter" in a long time.

Good point the Knee, I forgot about him, however he might seem great, he actually isn't that good imho. Starting first (and thus letting your opponent always go 2nd) isn't perse a good thing. I and multiple Kingdra decks would love the assurance of going 2nd and thus using supporters/trainers.

However if there will be a instant supporter that will place things on the bench/pokemon, sableye is worth. But at the moment we don't have that much fantastic supporters. Because read well. Sableye's attack is that of a supporter effect, but roseanne and bebe's only place the pokemon in the hand thus only useable in your next turn.

^ TGW T1, basically if you win the wager you will most likely win the game if you go first. If you lose the wager it isn't much of a loss cause you can just use sableye to use a supporter the next turn.

Believe me, TS-1 sounds great, but it starters that search for basics will ALWAYS be better than evolvers.

Phione got so much hype before it was released, and a lot of people said it was the "best Pokemon in format" when the official scan was released by PUI, but as soon as the set came out, people realised Phione wasn't so great after all.

TS-1 is the same thing. It just makes every Pokemon a Phione.

Believe me, TS-1 sounds great, but it starters that search for basics will ALWAYS be better than evolvers.

Phione got so much hype before it was released, and a lot of people said it was the "best Pokemon in format" when the official scan was released by PUI, but as soon as the set came out, people realised Phione wasn't so great after all.

TS-1 is the same thing. It just makes every Pokemon a Phione.

I agree. I think the main problem with TS-1 is it can't be searched for and therefore to be effective it is generally going to have to end up in your opening hand or get topdecked shortly after you begin the game (first or second turn), which means you're going to want to run 4 if you run it at all and a lot of decks would do better using those 4 slots for other things. Since it takes up an attack, using it at other points in the game aside from the first few turns is likely going to give your opponent a damage lead or, even worse, a prize lead and that's obviously bad.

I don't think starters have died as much as their usefulness has simply decreased in a general sense, with Call energy and a large number of playable stage 1/turn 2 based decks that don't need any sort of starter because they can go off immediately.

Good point the Knee, I forgot about him, however he might seem great, he actually isn't that good imho. Starting first (and thus letting your opponent always go 2nd) isn't perse a good thing. I and multiple Kingdra decks would love the assurance of going 2nd and thus using supporters/trainers.

However if there will be a instant supporter that will place things on the bench/pokemon, sableye is worth. But at the moment we don't have that much fantastic supporters. Because read well. Sableye's attack is that of a supporter effect, but roseanne and bebe's only place the pokemon in the hand thus only useable in your next turn.

Although you can't add the basics to your bench right away, in Bebe's case, if you searched for an evo, you likely aren't going to be evolving first turn unless you have candy.(Which although, possible, and often done, is not the majority.)

I had also forgotten about Special darkness energy. Starting with Sableye and a special darkness energy means that you donk any starter or basic at or below 50 hp. This can screw up people who avoid starters alltogether. No weakness is nice, 1 retreat isn't bad, and of course, a resistence is downright great.

It's not a gamebreaking card yet, but it will see plenty of play.

There is only one problem I have with Sableye versus Call Energy:

Generally, you would use Sableye, if not always, turn one to search for a Roseanne's Research and use it. However, they aren't placed on the bench. With Call Energy or a Call For Family alternative, the Pokemon are placed on your bench, therefore, you have to wait until your next turn to bench them if you use it as Sableye's attack. On that turn, I would generally evolve into a Claydol or something, however I have to spend the turn placing down the Baltoy, because the Pokemon didn't go automatically to my bench.

TS-1 will not be like Call Energy. Call Energy can be attached late game and still be useful. TS-1 is only really useful early game.

IMHO!

There is only one problem I have with Sableye versus Call Energy:

Generally, you would use Sableye, if not always, turn one to search for a Roseanne's Research and use it.

If you're playing Sablye then your goal is to t1 wager your oppenent. Then you keep on doing it until you win, and then you can start using felcity's to setup.

T1 Sableye going first ... attacks using TGW.

If you win your opponent has a 3 card hand to get the game started with.

If your opponent wins you've still disrupted their hand and just having 3 cards yourself doesn't matter since Sableye will still let you set up since it pulls right from your deck.

It gets even worse if the Sableye player runs special darks and cyclone (which is coming back in the same set). If the other player was holding onto one or more basic Pokemon in hand to avoid having their starter cycloned their active may be KOed or the held basics shuffled in with the T1 Wager. If they bench stuff the Sableye plays Cyclone to pull up something.

Wow I must be a newb. I'd never heard that you didn't get to use trainers or supporters if you go first. That sucks.

So I think it might be a good idea to use a set of call energies in almost every deck, and a set of Bebe's too. Luxury ball is a new strong card which may see play. For DP-LA though, I think starters will still see play. Would a deck be stronger taking a few hits while Calling with an important but weak basic like Piplup, or by including enough Pachirisus to make odds good? Remember Scramble isn't a factor anymore, so losing things has no advantage anymore. That little bit of damage on an important basic may come back to haunt you though, when your Empoleon barely get killed by an attack after a few turns.

Also, Claydol is still an important card to factor in when debating a card's worth in a deck. You have to bury somthing, it might as well be useless 'starter' basics.

What's your take?

Last edited:
So... how does TGW make your opponent not win? Could someone clarify?

Well it's quite easy and game braking, thing is you don't know if you win and if your opponent starts with 3 basics it doens't even mather. Appart from that if that isn't the case and you have your GOD hand you could be left with only 4 cards. Thus your opponent will have a huge advantage very early game.

And like the knee mentioned you could then even donk your opponnent if he only had a 50 hp pokemon on the board.

Back