Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Next Version of Tournament Software Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii1997J

http://www.go-pokemon.com/op/news/articles/43.html

Next Version of Tournament Software Released
Pokémon Organized Play
Important news for both Pokémon Tournament Organizers, and Pokémon TCG players.

The next version of Tournament Operations Manager, version 1.28, is now available. If you are a Pokémon Tournament Organizer, please upgrade to this version as soon as possible, as this release incorporates many updates, some of which are detailed below. For a complete list of updates, please refer to the Help Contents in the program.

* The minimum player Win Percentage (Win %) used in tiebreakers is now 25% and the maximum Win % for dropped players is now 75%. There is no maximum for players who complete the tournament.
* Changes have been made to the maximum numbers of players who reach the Single Elimination Finals (in tournaments that offer them). Please see the Tournament Operation Procedures document for the details.
* Match slips now display players’ match record to give players an additional chance to verify their match history.

If you have a previous version of Tournament Operations Manager installed, simply open the program; it will automatically upgrade. If the software does not automatically upgrade, please follow the installation instructions below.

If you are a new Tournament Organizer, you can download the program from the Organized Play website. Go to http://www.go-pokemon.com/op/ and log into your My Pokémon account. Once logged in, click on the "Tournament Software" link in the Tournament Organizers section. From there, please follow the instructions for installing.

For technical questions about or problems with the software, please email [email protected]. For questions about tournament procedures, please please review the Rules & Resources documents or email [email protected].

I still have a huge gripe about that. I think that top cuts were fine as far as how many players made it. Under the current rules a lot less players make cut now, which makes it sooooo much harder to win an event now. It was never easy but it just makes it insanely hard now.

If you have 31 players you could go 4-1 and miss the cut under the new rules. I think it needs to be changed. Good to know that the software has been updated though.

Drew

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have a huge gripe about that.

Well, there's no point in debating it in regards to TOM. TOM is just playing by the established rules. I agree that the new top cuts are made of fail.

Let's talk about the good, though.

Age-separated tournaments now properly run like three completely separate tournaments. No more waiting on everyone to finish up. So if one division is running super-long or had a delay for some reason, you can go ahead and keep the other two running on schedule. That is extremely nice.

Match slip shows your record now. One last chance to catch an entry error before starting the next round.

We were also supposed to finally get the fabled Double Loss option, but something went wrong there. We'll have it before Cities, though.

...I don't understand, why is it more difficult to make cut? Could someone explain this, I don't see where that change is...

The size of the cuts with regards to the number of players was reduced this season. Smaller events that were doing Top 4 are only Top 2 this year. 30 players was Top 8 last year, but only Top 4 this year.

This was big news. I'm surprised you aren't aware already.

POP Tournament Operation Procedures said:
2.3.5. Determining the Number of Swiss and Single Elimination Rounds Needed
Use the following guidelines to determine the number of rounds needed to determine a winner in a Swiss plus Single Elimination tournament:

Code:
Players per    Swiss Rounds:  Single Elimination:
Age division:
6-7            2 or 3         None
8              2 or 3         Top 2
9–15           3 or 4         Top 2
16             3 or 4         Top 4 or 2
17–31          4 or 5         Top 4 or 2
32             4 or 5         Top 8, 4 or 2
33–63          5 or 6         Top 8, 4 or 2
64             5 or 6         Top 16, 8, 4, or 2
65–127         6 or 7         Top 16, 8, 4, or 2
128            6 or 7         Top 32, 16, 8, 4, or 2
129–255        7 or 8         Top 32, 16, 8, 4, or 2
256            7 or 8         Top 32, 16, 8, 4, or 2
257-511        8 or 9         Top 32, 16, 8, 4, or 2
512            8 or 9         Top 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, or 2

If the tournament uses the Age Modified system, the total number of players in the largest age division (pod), instead of the number of players per age division, determines the number of Swiss rounds needed.

The total number of players per age division, in both Age Separated and Age Modified, determines the Single Elimination cut, which should be a maximum of 25% of the total number of players in each age division, with large events having a maximum cut of 12.5%. However, because the number of players can vary, the Single Elimination cut can vary from 25% to as low as 6%.

Pokémon Organized Play limits the maximum Single Elimination cuts at Premier Events
to create a more consistent experience worldwide.

. Under the current rules a lot less players make cut now, which makes it sooooo much harder to win an event now. It was never easy but it just makes it insanely hard now.
Harder? What do you mean? The same rules apply to everyone. Every individual player has to deal with this.
If you have 31 players you could go 4-1 and miss the cut under the new rules.
That's no good.

Harder? What do you mean? The same rules apply to everyone. Every individual player has to deal with this.

That's no good.
cuz in the top cut, the more skilled players have a better chance of rising to the top with best of 3 games. you may get donked 1 game but as long as you win the other 2 you advance. in swiss rounds you only get 1 chance per match, so if you get donked, you get donked.

In other words, if you get T1-Sableye-donked first round of a 30-player-states, you can go home because there's no more chance to get tops, even if you are one of the most skilled players at the tournament and would win any of the remaining matches. I really hope they'll fix this soon - the numbers used last season were quite good.

In other words, if you get T1-Sableye-donked first round of a 30-player-states, you can go home because there's no more chance to get tops, even if you are one of the most skilled players at the tournament and would win any of the remaining matches. I really hope they'll fix this soon - the numbers used last season were quite good.

Yeah and if they keep it this way, I'll use the Stormfront Machamp and Sableye, sjees that really would be a big bummer if they go elmination. Last year everyone at least got to play. And I think pokemon is quite luck based, and if this puts trough, the guy who's really lucky will win...

:O

i think the reason theyre doing this is to make up for the extra time that 40 min games need. i would sacrifice 10 minutes and go back to 30 min games to get the normal top cuts back.

i think the reason theyre doing this is to make up for the extra time that 40 min games need.
This doesn't save time in most cases. It makes the borderlines even harder, and with that, the time taken by the tournament is much more difficult to predict.

In the past you could say something like this for a state:
"We are expecting between 25 and 35 players. We'll have 5 or 6 rounds of swiss play, then top cut on 8. That are 5:30 to 6:00 hours and some extra time for between the rounds, so we'll be finisehd after 7:00 hours."

With the new system, the TO will have to say something like this:
"We are expecting between 25 and 35 players. We'll have 5 or 6 rounds of swiss play, then top cut on 4 or 8. Sorry but we can't tell when the tournament is over. It will be between 5:20 to 7:00 hours and some extra time, so I really don't know whether we are finished after 6:00 or after 8:00 hours. Sorry to all parents who want to pick up their children after the tournament, sorry to all people who have public transport connections, you all will most likely have to wait."

There's absolutely nothing positive about the new top cut.

i think the reason theyre doing this is to make up for the extra time that 40 min games need. i would sacrifice 10 minutes and go back to 30 min games to get the normal top cuts back.

Amen to that. This is just ridiculous, the way they've got it set up. They had a good thing going last year, why mess it up?

Oh.

Wait.

PUI. That's right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back