Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

nikePK's Nationals Report

nikePK

Well, it was a TON of fun mixed with a bit of bad, but overall the days I spent at Origins (late thurs, all fri, all sat) was a blast and I met a ton of people and saw a bunch of friends I had met before.

During playtesting, my deck was doing alright, but not great, so I was pretty worried going into the actual tourney with it. However, I knew its potential and my biggest worry was Crobat... of which I faced zero of.

Here's the deck I used... I had been playtesting it for a few weeks beforehand on appr... this was its first IRL experience.

LSD (Lightning Strike Dunsparce)

4x Chinchou (R. Spark)
4x Lanturn (HL)
4x TA Chinchou
4x TA Lanturn
4x Dunsparce

4x Steven's Advice
3x TV Reporter
3x Copycat
3x Desert Ruins
3x Poke Reversal
3x Strength Charm
3x Oracle

14x Lightning
4x Water (just so HL Lanturn doesn't throw away 3 energy with its attack)

I think that's 60 lol.

Anywho, me and most of the st. Louis gang show up at around 8 o'clock. I hang out with Pooka, Colin, Croc, my sister and a bunch of other people throughout the morning. Fill out my decklist, and wait.... and wait.... and waaaaaiiiiiiittttttt lol.

Finally it gets started. I get a cool free t-shirt, watch a few test games and get ready for Round 1.

Round 1 vs. Stephanie Barlock (sp?) w/ Blaziken

Okay. A bunch of friends of mine had byes going into nats and as they walk by the table they can see the setup I'm against. I go 2nd, which sucks, and her bench looks something like this on t2:

Blaziken, Combusken, Catty, Rayquazza, TA Electrike

yeah... its not looking so hot for me and my HL Chinchou start. However, things start going my way as she isn't able to attach a crap load of energy at one time. One of her Torchics become a Bex instead of another blaze.... very good news for me. I drop down a Desert Ruins and it sits out there for a while before I TV Reporter later in the game, and I drop a Desert Ruins cuz I figures she plays no counter gyms. Heh, I was wrong. She counters right after that, but I play a 3rd one and few turns later I'm able to Steven's for a butt-load and grab another one. It stays out there and practically wins me the game as I drop Rayquazza and a BEX with the TA LAnturn/Lanturn combination. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I took 4 prizes like nothing. I think this was one of the bst games I played from my standpoint, I did make one mistake of not saying who i was brining up w/ Reversal but she let me use it anyway (thank u) which helped quite a bit.

Anywho.... 1-0

So I wait like 1/2 an hour and the next round starts.

I had talked to this guy while standing in registration line before and I knew he was playing Metagross... I was pretty scared of this matchup. Here's how it went:

Round 2 vs. Metagross (sorry, forgot the name)

He starts with Beldum to my HL Chinchou... I always start with that thing =\ I'm able to go first this time around and I hit it for 10 and such. He plays a metal on it and I think hits me for 10. instead of doing what I shoulda done and hit it for 10 back, I decide to attach, and random spark the other Beldum he has down for 10. Oh well.

He evolves next, without playing a single draw card and hits me for 20 as he attaches a DRE to his metal type Metang. I'm ok with that. I don't want to discard a crap load of energy, so i hit it for 40 but I'm pretty sure I still have no basics down. He evolves AGAIN >_< Into regular metagross and square attacks me. OH GOD!!! He only lands 1 heads though, and it takes me up to like 50 dmg or so. I do get a basic in the form of TA Chinchou I believe and end up being able to draw some more cards. He potioned a bit ago too, so I'm forced to Drop all 3 lightning to do 80 to metagross and ko it.

And it all goes downhill for him from there. I just continuously get energy from draw power and simple draws and he gets absolutely nothing going. My turns are like "50, go" as I setup even more. He can't come back and I win the game pretty easily after that initial scare.

2-0

Alright, so we get paired up and ready for R3.

Round 3 vs. Drew Holton (JediDrew) w/ Blaze

Woo, another blaze deck... fun. I didn't know he already had a trip before playing this game >_< which really sucks for me as you'll soon find out.

We start to setup and we've cut each other's decks and find out who goes first and all that fun stuff. Then, they call... what? LUNCH BREAK?? WT crap??!!! He draws his 7 for fun, as do I. He woulda started w/ a Rayquazza as a lone basic and I woulda had a decent hand to start agianst that. I'm so mad =|

So after I leave my bookbag in the food court after I ate with Cory, I run back down there and discover that it is still there. I run back up and settle down at the table. Me and Drew talk for a short while and the round starts.

This time, does he get a Rayquazza start? Nope, definitely not lol. He gets the "God Start" and goes first on top of that. I had Dunsparce and a few chinchou in my hand, but wrong lanturns and all that. In retrospect, starting with something different would've prolly been better, but oh well, it wouldn't have won me the game. He gets going and apparently knows how to play vs. my deck cuz he doesn't drop a single ex and just goes Blaze swarm all over my face lol. I get up a few HL Lanturn and aqua lanturns to try and make a comeback, but I make a mistake and send up a TA lanturn with 1 on it, don't get the 2 enegy in hand I need and let him hit it w/ TWO firestreams which builds up my bench damage. I do surprise this blaze with a s. charm/Lanturn and take it out. I only drop one more Blazey before he gets a Rock Tm and takes his last 2 prizes on me. Drew's a cool person and I didn't mind losing to him. As you'll see, I get to face like every good name in pokemon lol

Round 4 starts and I get to face... guess what? BLAZIKEN!!!!!

Round 4 vs. Ron... is it Marlow? (Ron13) w/ Blaze

AJ (tA3) is sitting diagonal to me, so I introduce myself and I draw my hand. Now, this was before Ron was sitting across from me. Some other dude was sitting there and we draw and do all that stuff. I have a GOD hand and then the kid leaves. I was like... umm, what? Find out he's not my opponent. Ron sits down and so I have to shuffle it away >_<

However, I draw another good hand and Ron gets stuck with crap. He starts with Ray as a start, and I turn 1 or 2 a Desert Ruins. Confuse him on first turn and let him go. He attaches a Multi and lets me go. I drop down TA lanturn, double attach, bench a few things and hit him for 50, +10 from da Ruins. He goes, attaches and risks attacking, but gets Tails on confusion. His ray goes down. Up comes his Torchic and I ohko it for the win. Not the greatest way to win, but I'll take it.

2-1

Round 5 vs. Gym Leader Phil w/ Exploud

I kinda know how to play against this, but I'm still pretty scared. Exploud is one heck of a deck and I know this. My opening hand was ABSOLUTE CRAP. I guess it had to happen eventually. Not a single draw card in there, 1 energy and just garbage. I have a dunsparce in my hand, but u don't want to fill up the bench against an exploud deck =\ So i'm in a lose-lose situation as my HL Chinchou takes up the start, and I also go 2nd... wonderful.

Here's my hand: HL Chinchou, TA Chinchou, Dunsparce, Lightning, Desert Ruins, Strength Charm, and HL Lanturn I believe.

I draw into crap for like 4 turns, finally get draw in the form of TV reporter, but its way to friggin late. His Wob runs through 3 of my pokemon. He has an exploud on the bench and a loudred. I drop the Fet with some form of Lanturn, and he boosts his one exploud I think to kill it. An energy grounding from a benched lanturn lets me power up him and I send him up. Exploud takes 50. He nurses, 10s the bench. I hit it for 90 cuz I know my lanturn will die next turn. He Briney's. god. Eventually he just kills me with exploud as he boosts it for 60 knocking out a TA lanturn. I had absolutely no fudging chance to win this from the getgo.

So that drops me to 4-2... most likely out of t16. Which was originally Top 32. Why'd they change it? Beats me, but it totally screws me over =\

Next game:

Round 6 vs. Dan Lynch w/ cool deck Mewtwo ex/Gorbyss/Magneton/Ditto

This is a whacked out deck lol. I go first and have a good start, t2'ing a TA Lanturn and starting to dish out the damage. He gets Mewtwo ex, but I desert Ruins it and start punching away at it. I get a backup HL Lanturn and some more benched chinchous as we are both getting setup. At one point I know he's going to kill a Lanturn, but I don't have another HL Lanturn to get energy back from, so I oracle and realize, ugg, its going to be a turn later than I want it to be. So I retreat and send up Dunsparce, an awesome move as it buys me a turn as I let him ko it, drill his mewtwo for 50. He kills that, and I get lanturn up to kill it. He countered my Ruins a while back, but I'm able to drop another one on him. After his inital few mewtwo's I'm ahead by a bit, and he's running low. I ko a Ditto or so and his Clampearl comes up and paralyzes me twice so he can stall for a bit of time, but he know's I've already won as I hvae a benched HL Lanturn that can do 100 w/ the charm in hand. He takes out my other Lanturn and I send up for the win. Great GREAT Game, Dan, you're a really cool guy and had an awesome deck. I hope I have the chance to play you again sometime.

Round 7 vs. Ron13.... AGAIN!!!

So the computer pairs a bunch of people up against the same people... I'm one of those people. Ron unfortunately gets a bad start again, and I get a decent one. however, he attempts to make a comeback this time around. He started with lone Torchic, but benches a Ray w/ a Lightning or a multi, not sure. I get pretty scared at that point, but I draw into some good stuff with Copycat and all that. I end up getting a swarm of stuff going as he just draws into nothing and more nothing. I think he might get a blaze up later along with a Bex but Desert Ruins and a TA Lanturn attack along with a HL Lanturn bringin up the rear is just too much for him to stop. So I win this game too. Sorry Ron =(

Welllllll, the tourney is over for me as I go 5-2 which garners something like 24th place I think. I would've really liked to play in the elim rounds, but oh well. I had a great time, met a ton of people, and laughed a LOT. I was very happy with how the deck did... it was prolly one of the most rogue decks there and I went 5-2 w/ it playing good people with good decks (aside from R2).

Props:

Props to the people I've met like Pooka, Young John, Jermy101, TRUK, JediDrew, TheAnswer3, CFK, Magnechu, Chris Fulop and I know I'm prolly forgetting some people, sorry >_<

Props to the people who I've met before that came like Croc, the st. louis peoples, Cory D. (Coryace) and more.

Props to my deck for going 5-2.

Slops:

Slops to the tourney running on time.... this wasn't so bad, but that whole "lets take a lunch break after you've already setup" was so stupid.

Slops to Changing from Top 32 to Top 16... thanks =| 2 people that were 5-1-1 didn't even get in.... geezus.

I don't think I have any more slops, I played a lot of great people, nobody tried to cheat and everyone was very fun to play against. Cept Phil, but that was my deck's fault not his lol.

I hope everyone else had a pretty good experience there, I know I did. It was cool meeting all of you guys, hopefully I can somehow get a trip to worlds or hitch a ride w/ someone.

edit: god, i dunno how i coulda forgot this, but props to meeting Johnny Blaze who's one of the coolest adults on the planet, it was awesome meeting him on top of everyone else i met.

Last edited:
Hey, good job anyway. Nothing you can do about bad draws. Your deck was probably the most original one there, and it did quite well. Hopefully you'll find a way to Worlds. X\

yea u did great nikepk. Nice to see some people thinking outside of the box (not me). I went 5-0-2 that made me tied for 3rd overall (i think) but ended up getting 12 at the end.

Nice meeting you and good job with a cool deck. Hopefully you can find a way to win an invite cause you deserve it. I hope to talk to you on AIM or something.

Back