Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ninja Boy interaction

Pokealjovin

Administrator
With Steam Siege now out, I have 2 questions regarding Ninja Boy, that I've been asked, and I would like to confirm that my understanding is correct:

Ninja Boy : Choose 1 of your Basic Pokémon in play. Search your deck for a Basic Pokémon and switch it with that Pokémon. (Any attached cards, damage counters, Special Conditions, turns in play, and any other effects remain on the new Pokémon.) Shuffle the first Pokémon into your deck.

Question 1 : If I use Ninja boy on a a Pokémon that was put in play the previous turn (thus legal to evolve at this point) and change it to another Pokémon, can I evolve the new Pokémon or is it considered coming into play?

How I interpret it: Because of the text " (Any attached cards, damage counters, Special Conditions, turns in play, and any other effects remain on the new Pokémon.)", the emphasis should be interpreted as it has been in play for as long as the other Pokémon has been

Question 2 : Can I use Ninja Boy on a Robo Substitute?
Robo Substitute: Play this card as if it were a 30 HP Colorless Basic Pokémon. At any time during your turn (before your attack), you may discard this card from play. This card can't retreat. If this card is Knocked Out, your opponent can't take any Prize cards for it.

How I interpret it: Yes, as Robo Substitute is played as a Basic Pokémon

1. You can evolve it.
That's what the "turns in play" text is there for.

2. Yes, it is treated as a Basic Pokemon while in play, so you can Ninja it.

Back