2008-093269 [Pokemon Black]
2008-093270 [Pokemon Brown]
2008-093271 [Pokemon White]
2008-093272 [Pokemon Gray]
2008-093273 [Pokemon Scarlet]
2008-093274 [Pokemon Purple]
2008-093275 [Pokemon Crimson]
2008-093276 [Pokemon Scarlet - written differently]

Remember, these trademarks don’t necessarily confirm new games, it’s just a case of Nintendo protecting would could possibly turn out to be future projects.

Yeah, like that stupid crap with the guy claiming kadabra as a copyright and making Nintendo stop making kadabra cards >.>

Considering the money it saves on lawsuits and prevention of people buying false Pokemon products, it's very cheap.

Actually, trademarking and copyrighting doesn't save money on lawsuits -- or even prevent them. Typically the copyright holder assails what it sees as potential threats to its trademark(s), which requires lawyering and loads of cash.

Fake Pokemon cards and products are produced without respect for copyright, or rather, exploit copyright for profit.

The bottom line: copyright protects a company or individual's right to use custom word-marking to profit from a particular business or industry. For instance, I just did a search at uspto.gov for trademarks held for "Pokemon": they have everything from "electric and non-electric toothbrushes" to "breakfast cereals" and "dinnerware". In theory, you could start a "Pokemon Lawncare Service" or create a "Pokemon Shampoo" without legal challenge, since those specific uses are not covered by their existing trademarks (but they'd probably come after you if you started banking).

Yeah, like that stupid crap with the guy claiming kadabra as a copyright and making Nintendo stop making kadabra cards >.>
Just clarifying: It was Uri Geller trying to claim a bent spoon was his symbol. Uri Geller is a well known scam-psychic who makes millions of dollars every year, and one of his big shticks is bending a spoon "with the power of his mind".

Just clarifying: It was Uri Geller trying to claim a bent spoon was his symbol. Uri Geller is a well known scam-psychic who makes millions of dollars every year, and one of his big shticks is bending a spoon "with the power of his mind".

Actually, he was claiming the pokemon was named after him and it was defamation. He also wanted loyalties. The japanese name for Kadabra is Ungerer which is spelled in Katakana just like Uri Geller, that is why he sued. It is a legitimate lawsuit, as the pokemon was named for his remarkable resemblance.

Not quite.

The lawsuit was over Dark Kadabra. The actual name for Kadabra in Japanese is Geler (remember that Japanese has no distinction b/w L and R). Dark Kadabra was named "UnGeler", or "Evil Geler". I believe that he sued for defamation of character, or something similar.

Not quite.

The lawsuit was over Dark Kadabra. The actual name for Kadabra in Japanese is Geler (remember that Japanese has no distinction b/w L and R). Dark Kadabra was named "UnGeler", or "Evil Geler". I believe that he sued for defamation of character, or something similar.
Well, I was actually quite interested in this when I first heard about it at MT pre-releases. Not to go off topic, but what's the news on this situation? All I know is that some Japanese Magician is sueing Nintendo over Kadabra...

He's not Japanese. The suit was settled in Nintendo's favor, but Nintendo hasn't reused the character to prevent problems in other countries.

Back