Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

NJ Masters 1st Place Regionals Report

BENDINGSPOONS1

My friend, his little brother and I (Ian Ryave) drove 2 hours from Malvern, Pennsylvania to go to a tournament in NJ. It was worth it since we saw a lot of people we haven't seen in a long time (Christian and Peter Ortiz, MK Choy, Josef Bolton, Frankie Durso, Johnny Blaze, Zack Ehmann and other peps that don't show up around our area that much)

I decided to play PLOX today...

I shouldn't have to post a list but i will tell you guys this much it was just a straight consistent list if that helps you greedy net deckers...

Round 1-Tony Wootson- Mantine,Palkia, Kingler
Couldn't draw rare candies for a while but i had a decent endgame and came back.

1-0

Round 2- David Chang- Blissey, Claydol, Wager
Good setup and i get 2 Gallade out and just go through a few blissey and claydol

2-0

Round 3- Forget the guys name- New York. DEC Mags,Ban,Dol
Basically the idea is to attack with mags and beat gardy with bannette. He got a better start than me and i just couldn't get my rare candies, eventually i was able to get a gallade and kill his mags and then i had a gardy ready to attack with psychic lock. I had to TGW and Psychic Lock.

3-0

Round 4-Josef Bolton "Bolt" Plox
He didn't draw energy to attach to his pachirisu and the game was over. Sorry dude...

4-0

Round 5- C. Schmitd- Togepimp, Ho-oh,Furret
Before the round began i figured i'd ask the judges about assigning a certain die for us to use. The player decided to buy some new dice for himself and so he game began. He had a Sentret start and goes fro turn 2 furret and turn 3 togepimp for 1 energy lol. I direly need a rare candy and i rip one and am able to psychic lock by turn 4. Once i held the lock the game was over, i just kept swarming with gardys and countering holon circle with moonlight stadium.

5-0

Round 6- Darrell Moreno- Plox
This matchup was the first mirror matchup of the day and i thought i would already have the advantage since i ran more supporters than the average plox deck. He mulliganed 4 times and i started with baltoy i get a turn 3 psychic lock and wager but for some reason he is stil able to counter with his own gardy later. Eventualy i can't get the sceond gardy out because he drops cessation crystal on his gallade and kills my gardy. I wonder if i could have played the matchup differently becasue i do remember seeing the cessation crystal from his deck in the first few mulligans. I just couldn't get a second gardy locking.

5-1

Round 7-Kid that looks like torterra- Typhlosion, Delcatty, Magmortar

Josef lost to this deck the round before and i get paired down for the final swiss round. (dusknoir was prized) I start with ralts and he its me for 20 with magmar. I get afraid that he has magmortar and an energy and can get the 40 by the next turn. I decide to drop moonlight stadium and bebe's rare candy baltoy claydol retreat and dre spinning attack and cosmic power. i then set up and i eventually am able to go for the psychic lock. I go Gardy Gallade Gardy Gardy and that really out him on tilt. Time was called and i won.

6-1

Round 8 Timmy "Zapditto"-Typhlosion, Claydol, Magmortar

Game 1
I get a good start and am able to psychic lock wtih DRE cuz he had no way for getting typhlo out. I win wagers and control lock him the whole game until he scoops

Game 2
Same 8.5/10 start and am able to set up and go for lock pretty quickly without being exposed to to energy discard. I just keep locking him and that was it.

7-1

Round 9-Christian Ortiz Plox" with Breloom Tech (no dusknoir)

Game 1
The mirror matchup isn't any different then the previous one in the day and i just am able to dusknoir him because he plays to many bench. I set up and attack first with psychic lock and pretty much trade ko's for a while. I never used gallade but Christian seemed to though. The 2 gardys made him scoop.

Game 2
This time i got a bad start and he got a decent start and started to attack me quickly i decided to play on the defensive for a while and jut set up a bunch of gardys, winning just about every wager helped too. Eventually he had a field with a gardy and a gallade and i had 2 gardy but he had 2 prizes left i had 4. I pretty much swept him with gardy even though he had a lot more prizes taken. Eventaully we had to spin each other with claydols and DRE and it was quite humorous.I ****ed up and sent out something that gets ko'd. ****tarded....

Game 3
We are in sudden death i win a wager and i get gallade and win

8-1

Round 10-Josef Bolten "Bolt" Plox

Game 1
Again i had to play Bolt, not what i wanted to do, since he just took out adam, but it came down to survival and **** that was the hardest matchup of the day. He played a similar list to my friend but had holon wp instead of moonlight stadium. The first game he sets up 2 kirlia with energy but i instead of going for a gardy lv.x o ko a pachi damaged kirlia, decide to sit back. He warps me out and at the point i can' risk being ohko'd by pluspower so i don't use gardy lv.X. We trade prizes back and forth and it isn't looking good for me since he had another gardy out. I realize i can't win even though i win all wagers.

Game 2
Same kind of game as last time but more controlled because i sat back for a while and won

Game 3
I set up and lock early but have gallade ready, he attacks me i attack back he kos me, and i get him with gallade. We continue to st up. We both get 1 more gardy out and i decide to wager him, i win, and lock him so he can't draw his energy. He didn't draw his DRE but he had an energy so he attached and passed. I decided to retreat, drop the lock and hide behind tauros. I claydol up another gardy and i am able to promote more gardys than he can. Eventually we draw blood again and i out gardy him. He scoops and **** it is 11:30. Awesome Game Dude!

9-1

Round 11-Frankie Diaz- Magmortar, Claydol, Tech omastar and dusknoir

This game i am half asleep and playign really fast i just og for psychic lokc and try to pressure him as best as i could. He gets magmortars but i keep using wager winning about 75% and attacking with gardy leaving him open for gallade latter. The prizes are matched at middle game. Remeber he plays no stage 2 guy so really taking out magmortars is the main idea. All my stuff had damage on it after 2 magmortar but his third magmortar lv.x was doing me in, but i just got as much **** out as possible. I didn't even worry about his dusknoir tech i didn't think it would come out and it never did. He takes his fifth prize and the game really goes down hill for him at that piont. At that piont i had a duskull and a gardy 80 damage and with 3 energy out. I had dusknoir Rare candy and scramble in my hand and i telepass for lv.x play it retreat, drop pachirisu and attack with duskoir, ko. I also had a warp point, DRE, and psychic energy in my hand. So i drop the pachirisu so that way if he warp points i don't have to send out gardy but i can do teleportation, retreat, drop DRE on dusknoir and attack. He is smart lays out his entire bench, i forget to dark plam, and rare candys a magmar to magmortar in case i warp piont him (sll of his stuff had under 90 health other than an energy less mags. He ends turn. I warp piont, make him switch his benched pokemon and do 100 to his energyless magmortar. He then lv.x's and attachs a DRE and burns, really close to knocking me out but i teleportation and retreat and attack with Dusknoir to win me that 45 minute game...

Game 2
there is less than 15 minuters left and every judge is rushing me particularly to finish. Frankie can't win in 15 minutes so i figure the longer i lock him the better. I get a tauros start with a wager off and get a claydol out off my losing hand. He loads his bench with 4 pokemon. I get t2 claydol and set up and am attacking by turn 4 with gardy. I eventaully get out a dusknor and scoop one of his magmars into the deck. I then get out gallade and take out a magmortar and assist a ko on the next one after. One of the judges gives us a 5 minute extenison because they think i am stalling. It doesn't matter i don't think his deck can win in that short period of time.

The ride home was long but Adam driving 90 miles an hour got us back home at a modest 2:30. Poor Ben was fast asleep in the car.

Money Baby...

BTW THE VIDEO OF ME GETTING MY A** OWNED BY BALLA ZACK IS A FAKE!!!

Last edited:
Back