Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

No Cards in Hand: Draw 7 Cards?

Yesterday while playing the Pokemon Card Game with my grandson he ended up with no cards in his hand and then announced that that entitled him to draw a new seven card hand from his deck.

Okay, I am a gullible grandpa, but not that gullible.

However, in cases of disagreement over the rules, my policy is to accept my grandson's interpretation of the rules, until we can get a ruling from on high.

My grandson can't possibly be right this time, can he?

P.S. During that same game he also had me bamboozled with Electivire's "Motor Drive" Poke-Power. He was using it to retrieve four electric energy cards from his discard pile each turn. That seemed a bit implausible to me, so by the third or fourth time in a row that he tried this ploy, I finally asked him to let me read the text of the Poke-Power, and he agreed with me that it was clear that he should only be able to retrieve one energy card per turn, not four.

Last edited:
You aren't entitled to draw 7 when your hand is 'empty. In fact, you aren't allowed to draw anything when your hand is empty. The only way to get something in your hand is via Powers, Supporters or attacks.

There isn't anything wrong with having no cards in hand, except having only limited choice of what you can do during your turn...

I hope this helped.

You are correct on both counts. There is no rule stating that players with an empty hand may draw seven new cards, and a player can only use an Electivire's Motor Drive once per turn.

You aren't entitled to draw 7 when your hand is 'empty. In fact, you aren't allowed to draw anything when your hand is empty. The only way to get something in your hand is via Powers, Supporters or attacks.

Wait a minute! You mean if you have an empty hand you can't even draw the customary card from your deck at the start of your turn?

Wait a minute! You mean if you have an empty hand you can't even draw the customary card from your deck at the start of your turn?

No, you still draw your card at the start of every turn. That's a rule. If your hand becomes empty for any reason, you aren't entitled to draw a card. But you always get to draw a card at the start of each turn.

You ofcourse can draw your customary card from your deck at the start of your turn. Poke-powers can only be used once during your turn if you have only one of the pokemon with power in play and it says so on the card. If it says 'you can use this power as often as you like during your turn, you can use it as many times as you want.

Back