Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

No Rares Allowed

HYPER EEVEE

Iron Chef - Master Emeritus
I am entering a tourney at my local Pokemon league They allow all cards as long as their not rare (Promos are excepted)(cards that were rare once but were released as a promo or uncommon are ok example Jungle/LC Snorlax). So I need some Ideas for a deck. You can tell good pokemon to put in, trainers, combos (exp. Promo Mewto and juggler), ect.
Keep in mind all sets are legal

Nice try, but this is still "build me a deck," and that's not allowed.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I find the new Pelliper card to be very useful. Whilst its base damage isnt too hot, if you stockpile, then swallow, you can do 60 damage to your opponent and restore 60 HP to yourself. This is great if you're facing pre-evolved Pokemon who can only do 10-30 damage per turn. You can take a couple of hits of 30, so you're down to 10 HP, then use Swallow to fully restore your HP and do a nice amount of damage to your opponent. Just be careful when facing Pokemon with a higher attack than 30 :p

Tsk tsk tsk... there are some pretty easy choices, Old School : Arcanine & Dewgong (min of 50 damage), Rapidash (doing 30+ 10 and 10 to the bench), Dark Muk...
Don't forget about DCE's, ER's. GOW's, etc.

There are probably some good Neo/e- & EX...

IF you wanna be InSaNe I used to play a DARK Quilava deck THERE Is nothin' like RUSHING MAGMA =)

4 Cyndaquil
4 Dark Quilava (Boss Ways)
Some Tyrogues

I ran nothing to protect my weakness BUT you could TecH in perhaps 1 pikachu (Neo Genesis), a grass pokemon (Nidoran? 2 energy for 30 damage I think.)

Last edited:
Since you're asking for cards that would be good, let's move this to Single Cards.

Do they give an exception for Special Energy cards like Darkness or Metal?

Fossil Magmar, Tyrogue, and Erika's Dratini. Those are high on my list. Lickitung is good as well. Other than that, there's really not much you can do. I also came across Rhyhorn from Jungle, who is interesting...but has 3 retreat and a Grass Weakness. It's good though, so that's something I'll throw out there as well...

OMG my apologies the DEATH of most:

Plus powers & ERIKA's Jigglypuff & there all sorts of combos to bring back cards...

PokePop said:
Do they give an exception for Special Energy cards like Darkness or Metal?
If they do, it wouldn't actually matter much, since the only Metal or Dark Pokemon (not counting "Dark" name) people play are rare anyway. Maybe an occasional rogue Skarmory would pop up, but that's about it. Other Rare Special Energies would make a difference. Anyway, here are a bunch of ideas.
-Looking for Psychics? Look at Expedition Haunter. Comboed with the Trainer Sleep!, this guy gives you a fair chance at a second-turn 50. LC/Rocket Drowzee would add well to that combo. You can't go all the way to Hypno or Gengar, though, but a fairly-dependable 50 from turn 2 can go a long way. Fossil/LC Gastly works fine, too. Or, if you want to look at other Psychics, there's always Movie Promo Mewtwo, Rocket's Mewtwo (it was a Promo) Discovery Xatu, and Base Kadabra. Even Base Jynx could make an appearance.
-You could also always look at Jungle Exeggutor -- it was Uncommon. If you're really into Grass, you could also consider Venusaur Promo #13, or its Dark counterpart. You can also go with partial lines like Nidorina and Nidorino. Jungle Butterfree's available if you want it. Jungle Scyther may be gone, but its Discovery brother could make a showing. Sunflora and its light brother could be good. Fossil Weezing's a destructive possibility.
-Tyrogue, perhaps unfortunately, is in. Looking for other Fighting Pokemon? Hitmonchan was a Promo, so it's fine. Same story with Rocket's Hitmonchan. Skyridge Dugtrio is a possibility. Jungle Rhydon and Rhyhorn might come back, as may Base Onix. A daring rogue might try to bring in Fossil Golem. Jungle Marowak may show up.
-From Colorless, AQ Furret and LC/Jungle Dodrio can both make appearances. Erika's Jigglypuff is fine, and Double Colorless Energy was originally Uncommon. Skyridge Ditto might show up, to fill the void its Fossil brother left behind. Promo Cleffa will probably show up on a fairly regular basis.
If Fire's your bag, Magcargo's fine, although it lost its howling dancing partner. Good 'ol Fossil Magmar can make an appearance, too, as can its Base brother. Even Dark Charmeleon might show up. Base Arcanine might come howling onto the scene, too.
-Looking for Water types? There's always Dewgong, Qwilfish, Mantine, Fossil Kingler, Piloswine in either type, and Dark Golduck.
-In addition to Electabuzz, which squeezes in from Promo-land to represent Lightning, we have Dark Jolteon, Lanturn in its various Lightning forms (but not the Expedition Water-type), and Skyridge Electrode. Lt. Surge's Electrode may even make a shocking entrance; who knows? Surfing Pikachu could make an interesting splash in a Water deck.
-For Trainers, we've got many old and new favorites: Energy Removal, Gust of Wind, Switch, PlusPower, Defender, Sabrina's Gaze, Professor Oak, Professor Elm, Imposter Oak's Revenge, all the different TMs, Challenge!, Gold Berry, Pokemon Center, Pokemon Nurse, Town Volunteers, Copycat, Fisherman, Juggler, Oracle, Nightly Garbage Run, Lucky Stadium, Energy Stadium, Healing Field, and Sprout Tower are all in, to name a handful.

Obviously, there are many other possibilities, but when I browsed my collection, all of these jumped out at me shouting, "I have potential!" (Figuratively speaking -- I'm a little nuts, but I'm not that crazy.)

Last edited:
You could make an uber powerful deck using Base Arcanine and Fossil Magmar as your main cards. Just stall with pokemon like Magmar and Lickitung until you get out Arcanine and then use Take Down and Gold Berrys to get all your prizes.

Recycle will help immensely, if only to give Pokemon with a 1 Retreat Cost what nearly amounts to a free retreat. Rainbow might come in handy in the right deck.

Well, since all sets and promosare legal, I would try using the following cards:

Venusaur (promo #13)
Skitty- Sandstorm
Copycat- Expedition
Slowpoke- Aquapolis
Double Colorless Energy- Base Set

Why no rares allowed?

I really like EX:Ruby and Sapphire for its "uncommon potiential." I really like Delcatty and Linoone for their high damage potiential and also being colorless pokemon.

Please mind, that im not allowing Best of Game Promos ... Im not that stupid you kno ;) .. oh btw, make a deck .. and post it, and ill see what i could do for ya ... and try to figure out my identity johnny/casey which one u r .. i frogot who asked wes about who are you.

Odd, yes, but it has potential. Forces players to think carefully about their cards, since every archetype out there depends on at least one Rare. I ought to know -- I just "built" a deck for this format.

It doesn't take time at all, the one im playing took me 5 minutes to build in my english class ;/ ... and also, the one we had last year, only took me 10 minutes, and the one 2 years ago, took me ohhh, 15-20 minutes ... just look was is fast etc...

oh btw, ill give u cupertino a hint of what im playin

** I PLAYED THIS LAST TIME **

Wes will kno, will others? :p

btw, tourney is in Cupertino, CA at Legends Sports and Gaming, 1:00 Sign Ups ... 1:30 will be the start of Round 1 .

Last edited:
Chris, I think you played Blaine's Rapidash right? I'll be playing Sabrina's Haunter or Brock's Sandslash. Anither possibility is..... you'll see.

~Eevee

Back