Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Northwest England STP Report - A champion tells his tale...

Kempley05

I'll keep this nice and short - I played Absolutions.

Firstly props to Patriach, for some sweet posts on the gym - using those I promise you even a donksac like me can make a good list. A true gent and I owe him the win lol. I can also add it Team Metanite and moza for fixes etc. Secondly thanks to MG for judging and a great tourney. Thirdly thanks to evergyone I played, especially Ben for an awesome final which he could easily have won, Andrew and Scott for some sweet games.

Round 1 - Venusaur/Meganium ex

Lone Mew start + 6 energy pfffffft.

0/1

Round 2 - Sallygross

I spread damage and do the Absol thang.

1/1

Round 3 - Gardevoir ex d

Great game, I won't go into detail but Scott ended up loosing by 1 prize, making a great comback.

2/1

Round 4 - Scizorgross

Resistance + Absol/Jolteon drops and second bite = GG.

3/1

Round 5 - Draggy ex d/Sceptile

She candies 2 Draggy ex's T1 and starts severing me. I do 70 with Jolteon, setting up a second bite. Do that and having loaded 4 energy onto draggy she had no backup, I don't think I see anything after the second Draggy. Good game and a very nice play, sorry she can't make it to nats.

4/1

I make the Top cut with 3 other 4-1's in 4th place.

Top 4 - Shiftry ex CG/Absol

Game 1

Starts with a lone absol abusing lonesome, I do some bluffing, T3 2 Jolteon ex and a * and a second bite get the win.

1/0

Game 2

I t2 his starter with second bite, he gets one shiftry setup which hurts, eventually it goes down to him having a drak energy or a dark-metal and a cursed stone to win - he wiffs and I get a final spot, good games and bad luck pal :(

2/0

Finals - Metanite

Irony! lol. He's playing an adapted version of the Metanite list I gave him at Hull, instead he's playing Ray* and I'm like -__-. I'm expecting an autoloss but I see what happens.

Game 1

He got a lone Beldum, I got a mew and licked it for 30, he researched into Gross, attached metal and passed (he held back a dratini to stop it from being licked). I mentor into Jolteon*, attach a lightning and crush and burn for 70 for a T2 win.

1/0

Game 2

I take the T2 KO of a Dratini, he drops a Ray* and prepares a 4 turn build - I commit myself and drop in my ex's, wide lasering him twice, taking out a dratini - He attaches the 3rd energy but I drop Absol and wide laser him to take him out. He evolves his metang to gross and drops in a Lugia, I second bite him out. Then I copy elemental blast to take him out doing 400 damage without dropping a prize.

2/0

Last edited:
Not in the end. He didn't have the time to get 4 energy into play. I was watching out for it though. Probably not the best play with all the manipulation you already have.

Glad you had a good day. Great play, great attitude.

I agree the final could have gone very differently. I can provide names if you want them, and a few of these people are gym lurkers too?
MG

PS it was a State/Province/Territory Championship or States, not a Regional. Your trophy agrees!

Thanks and I deliberatly left off names as some people don't like their decks to be known.

And you're right lol, I'm in last years mode *edit*

Fair enough, although if you know them you have every right to say their first names at least. Plus there are a few people there who won't be playing at Nationals, and therefore don't have much to hide.

Scott and I were both building Gardy EX decks at the same time. I'm surprised he played it, but didn't really see it in action - what did you think of it?
MG

Alongside Gardy PK? I don't like how he's OHKOed by Flygon ex d. At Crewe CC, Manchester CC, High Wycombe Regional (Andy in Masters so not a senior but I was still paired), Crewe Regional I was paired against Flygon ex d heavy decks. Gardy ex d in Seniors would be suicide I suppose.

Pretty good. I had a great start that game which set him off balence. I liked the way it was built and if did work. He managed to take the game back to 1 prize having candied Gardie d ds and then energy jumped to take out one of my Espeons out of no-where! I don't know, you're taking losses to these fast stage 1 decks, Flygon ex d and even Metanite can cope if you run Sceppy, but it is a technically great mechanic (Inprisson).

It's good, but not in our Metagame IMHO.

Pretty good. I had a great start that game which set him off balence. I liked the way it was built and if did work. He managed to take the game back to 1 prize having candied Gardie d ds and then energy jumped to take out one of my Espeons out of no-where! I don't know, you're taking losses to these fast stage 1 decks, Flygon ex d and even Metanite can cope if you run Sceppy, but it is a technically great mechanic (Inprisson).

It's good, but not in our Metagame IMHO.

Thank-you, that's very useful advice.

Congrats Justin =)

I had a feeling you'd win one in the end :thumb:

If you need a deck for nats still do let me know, I'm just sad I didn't go to London when it's like 5 minutes from my house :(

And Alex, you can play around anything. I totally changed the way I played the deck for the final early-game, then I went aggro with the ex's. It's all about manipulating the deck for the situation.

HOPEFULLY I'll be sorted by then but having my ebay account banned really isn't helping things :/

Hey man, great job on the win!!! Can't believe you gave metanite the day off! lol
Great win, and hopefully see u soon!

Congrats man, never seen Absolutions being used before, I was amazed.

My Gardy ex D deck has been changed to make it a little more consistant and now runs Lugia ex, shame Gardy doesnt work on Absolutions as all powers are used when they are played from your hand @_@

Looking forward to the Nationals, hopefully I'll get to play you with one of my other decks ^_^

Congrats man, never seen Absolutions being used before, I was amazed.

My Gardy ex D deck has been changed to make it a little more consistant and now runs Lugia ex, shame Gardy doesnt work on Absolutions as all powers are used when they are played from your hand @_@

Looking forward to the Nationals, hopefully I'll get to play you with one of my other decks ^_^

What do you mean? Candy + Imprison first turn on a Mew ex works!

What do you mean? Candy + Imprison first turn on a Mew ex works!

Thank you captain obvious, why are you asking silly questions?

Absol ex/jolteon ex/espeon ex are not affected by Gardy's imprison poke-power. Shame, I thought you would have known that.

Mew ex can be imprisoned, so the main problem for Gardy is absol/eveelutions of which Gardy can do nothing.. Mew ex doesn't even come into the equation unless they use tropius d.

Back