Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Note Taking with Time Walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rroaryh

I just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention. This ruling absolutely blows my mind and I would love to hear from the higher ups as to why this is the way it is.

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=84184

I have had the same ruling from many other TOs and my local PTO. What is going on here? I can't use code? Really? I understood my opponent being able to see my notes, but they have to understand them too? Does this mean i need to write in clear handwriting or can i develop a chicken scratch style only I can read?

I really want to hear other people's opinions on this and what we can do about it to maybe reverse it.

Ror

Just remember which prizes are which. Look at them 1 at a time and remember which card is in which spot.

If you're dead set on writing stuff down, couldn't you just write down the order in which you want to take prizes?

Mike Liesik was very clear.
We asked a few different questions to be certain.
The upshot is, if you're writing notes, those notes must be clear and understandable to the opponent.
No code.
If you don't want them knowing something, best not to write it down as notes.

Just remember which prizes are which. Look at them 1 at a time and remember which card is in which spot.

If you're dead set on writing stuff down, couldn't you just write down the order in which you want to take prizes?
you dont know when you might want the bebe, or the rare candy, or the pluspower.

Pokepop - ya i know the ruling is very clear. I just want to understand it. I know what it is, but i need to know the why behind I guess

Ror

Pokepop - ya i know the ruling is very clear. I just want to understand it. I know what it is, but i need to know the why behind I guess

Ror

Well, it's not my ruling so I can only try to express the thought that has gone into it.

Basically, it is taking the floor rules at face value.
When you make notes, both players get to use them.
If they are not clear or are deceptive, then you are not meeting that requirement.

There are plenty of ways to mark your prizes in a way that wouldn't give your opponent all the information. If I thought it was a big deal, I'd probably just count my prizes in an unusual order and write them down 1, 2, 3 etc, so my opponent still wouldn't know which one I was getting.

There's actually a lot of fun things you could do with note taking, now that I think about it.

I would just take notes in Arabic or another language that is not English.

But the ruling as it stands right now states it has to be understandable to both players, so writing it in a different language (one that the opponent may not understand) would probably be against that ruling.

I really don't like this ruling (as a personal view). When I write notes, I write them for myself, so I have a record of what happened, and when. I'm not writing them so my opponent can then use it to figure out certain things about my deck that I am not ready to reveal to them.

but if this is the ruling, then I will have to abide by it.

Gibby

well I can always just write down the ones I'll never remember in a million years then memorize the rest.

I would just take notes in Arabic or another language that is not English.

Which is also disallowed. Notes must be accessible to both players.

Quit trying to game this. Make your notes clear or don't take them at all.

Your opponent has access to your notes, so they also need to be able to understand them (with the possible exception of an international event, like Worlds) in a manner that does not impact the pace of the game.

In fact, the only reason that the note taking rule is really even in the Tournament Rules at all is to allow people who like to post tournament reports to jot down notes for later posting. I'd hate to have to remove that ability just because a few people want to try to manipulate this.

Which is also disallowed. Notes must be accessible to both players.

I would never do this, but to play devil's advocate what is there to prevent me from writing REALLY messily while slurring together the letters. It is easy to do this in cursive and some people do have terrible handwriting. My cursive is BAD, so I never use it, but what is there to prevent me from doing it. If "I" can't write better, are they going to stop me from taking notes?

Also, is there anything in the rules about writing down false information on my notes? Say i have 3 Claydols prized, but instead I write 3 Fighting Energy. My opponent can read it, but they have no idea what it really means. Can I get called on that or on using any other misinformation like writing down Mesprit X when Azelf MT is prized.

Could somebody (who makes rulings) define what is considered "accessible"?

I may consider writing down the incorrect card if it's allowed, since I believe that my opponent has no right to know my prizes. If it is not allowed, I will never do it.

I would never do this, but to play devil's advocate what is there to prevent me from writing REALLY messily while slurring together the letters. It is easy to do this in cursive and some people do have terrible handwriting. My cursive is BAD, so I never use it, but what is there to prevent me from doing it. If "I" can't write better, are they going to stop me from taking notes?

Also, is there anything in the rules about writing down false information on my notes? Say i have 3 Claydols prized, but instead I write 3 Fighting Energy. My opponent can read it, but they have no idea what it really means. Can I get called on that or on using any other misinformation like writing down Mesprit X when Azelf MT is prized.

Could somebody (who makes rulings) define what is considered "accessible"?

I may consider writing down the incorrect card if it's allowed, since I believe that my opponent has no right to know my prizes. If it is not allowed, I will never do it.

What part of Liesik's post did you not understand?? :mad: Dubious actions can result in DQs and even worse. Dont try to trick players. The rules allow note taking for reports, etc. It can only involve the game taking place. You cannot use a code. IF you are caught writing "dusknoir in prizes....top left" and your list does not play dusk.....you just earned a DQ. It happened @ Worlds where a "dubious" action led to a DQ. Bottom line....note taking is a priviledge....it can be taken away. Dont ruin it for the ones that do it for tourney reports, etc.

Keith

yeah that really covers it, this thread was more so to try and discuss it and get at the heart of the matter, not try to get around it, POP has made it pretty clear, there is no getting around it

LM: I never saw the full context of the post before I posted what I did. If I had known the FULL picture I would not have said that. I do not know the FULL story about what happened at Worlds either, only rumors, so I will not say anything in regards to it. I apologize if you dislike what I said, but I personally will do EVERYTHING possible to swing things in my favor as long as it is LEGAL. I mentioned that as the last sentence of my previous post, but perhaps you missed it.

Here is a personal example that I would like some input on: Before tournaments, when asked about what deck I am playing, I will often give a nonsense answer because it is not my potential opponent's business. Are you saying I could be kicked from the tournament because of this?

Just so you know, I appreciate people putting up tournament reports and a very good friend of mine takes notes for that purpose. I would never intentionally do something that may take away his priviledge.

'Pop, that is about as clear as can get.

Seeing as I don't cheat, I guess it's time to start memorizing things. Sorry for bothering you 'Pop.

Last edited:
Just... for God's sake. Write them and share them. It REALLY REALLY REALLY is NOT a big deal man.

I made top cut and every opponent knew EVERY CARD in my discard EVERY TIME... I wrote them down, held them up, and actually EXPLAINED each marking (i.e. "This is Roseanne's, this is Moonlight, This is TSD etc... )

It's really not as important as you think man... If they wager.. .they wager... you get more cards.. whoop whoop...

That's about all they can do ... So you know if I pull a Premier Ball? You were probably playing under the impression that I'm intending to Level up all game long anyway ? You wager it into the deck. Now you have NO CERTAINTY if I have it or not... (or if I topped the X I needed... )

Guys. Really. Not major. The "advantage" is nowhere as huge as you're making it out to be.
Personally, I don't think there is any advantage given. PARTICULARLY now that both players are probably going to time walk .. ROFL... now we BOTH know each other's prizes.

It actually made for a FUN game (win or lose) when people see how screwed your prizes are sometimes.
You laugh through the whole game like "Man, how are you gonna get THAT out?" .. "I don't know ... WARP POINT... who you gonna give me so I can take a prize?"

I still laugh at being slaughtered by Rory when I left like EVERY UXIE and UXIE X in the prizes and forgot to pull one w/ time walk... LOL
I'm like "do you believe this Man ???" ... attach an energy ... pass... ROFL !!

LM: I never saw the full context of the post before I posted what I did. If I had known the FULL picture I would not have said that. I do not know the FULL story about what happened at Worlds either, only rumors, so I will not say anything in regards to it. I apologize if you dislike what I said, but I personally will do EVERYTHING possible to swing things in my favor as long as it is LEGAL. I mentioned that as the last sentence of my previous post, but perhaps you missed it.

Just so you know, I appreciate people putting up tournament reports and a very good friend of mine takes notes for that purpose. I would never intentionally do something that may take away his priviledge.

'Pop, that is about as clear as can get.

Seeing as I don't cheat, I guess it's time to start memorizing things. Sorry for bothering you 'Pop.

No bother to me.

IF you are caught writing "dusknoir in prizes....top left" and your list does not play dusk.....you just earned a DQ. It happened @ Worlds where a "dubious" action led to a DQ.

Excuse me for finding that a bit... ridiculous. Now maybe just MAYBE I can understand the note taking aspect of that, but would you be not allowed to SAY that to your opponent? How about if you tell your opponent that you have a Wager in your hand? Are they going to call the judge over and make them check to see if you actually have the card in your deck or not? How about if your list does run Dusknoir, but that's not the prize? Is the judge going to check your prizes after time walk to see if you're telling the truth on each of them?

I'm not trying to find a loophole to "cheat" at this game, it's pathetically unnecessary. However, checking the integrity of a player's statements in a way that would divulge information to the other player seems kind of... wrong. Clear me up on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back