Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Nurse W/no damage

yoshi1001

In response to the topic in the ATM forum:

Here is the text of the card from the oracle:

"Pokémon Nurse
Trainer card
Supporter
You can play only one Supporter card each turn. When you play this card, put it next to your Active Pokémon. When your turn ends, discard this card.
Remove all damage counters from 1 of your Pokémon. Then discard all Energy cards attached to it, if any."

Based on the text of the card, I'd say you can still use it just to discard energy. Contrast that to Pokemon Center's text, again from the oracle:

"Pokémon Center
Trainer card
Remove all damage counters from all of your own Pokémon with damage counters on them, then discard all Energy cards attached to those Pokémon."

The card is worded somewhat differently. The first sentence restricts the scope of the card to pokemon with damage, and that restriction carries forward.

Thanks for opening the topic Yoshi. I was thinking of copying the ATM topic over to here.
Yes, as Yoshi points out, the wording is quite different. After all, PN targets one specific Pokemon, so it doesn't have to worry about collateral "damage" like PC does.

We'll still ask it to get the official ruling for the Compendium, but expect it to be that you will remove the energy cards from an undamaged target.

Zero has always been an allowed choice whenever a quantity is required.

But the power of ZERO is being eroded:

== RARE CANDY (EX:Sandstorm)

Q. Could you Rare Candy a Pokemon and NOT play an evolution on it just to get rid of the Rare Candy?
A. No. (Oct 30, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

trEkIeV brought this up here http://www.pokegym.net/showthread.php?t=2575.

Removing zero damage counters seems much the same as having zero evolution cards in hand for the RareCandy player. So by extension of the RareCandy ruling you would have to choses a pokemon that had damage counters on it!

Your asking me if PN won't remove the energy if the pokemon doesn't have damage on it. Looks to me that it still will.

In the sentence, "Remove all damage counters from 1 of your Pokémon. Then discard all Energy cards attached to it, if any." If a pokemon has no damage counters on it, you can still remove them. Removing 0 damage counters would leave the pokemon with 0 damage counters. Then you will discard all cards attached to it. There is no if in any of these two sentences. If they have damage counters is not there so the action must be done even to pokemon with no damage counters if you play the card on it.

But I don't make the rules.

NoPoke:
Feel free to argue that ruling. Maybe it can be overturned.
But start a different thread for it.

You are right in your suspicion Pop: I do think that the Rare Candy ruling is 'unsafe' to use a legal term. (I'll start another thread on RareCandy)

I don't want to hijack this thread and can see how it might degenerate into a discussion on RareCandy rather than re-establishing that ANY includes ZERO.

The case for being able to Nurse an undamaged pokemon:-
Traditionaly, ANY when refering to a numerical quantity has always included zero as a choice unless anyone out there knows better.​

The case against being able to Nurse a pokemon with no damage:-

If you take the Rare Candy ruling as taking precedence (since it is a recent ruling) then there is a strong case for saying that to use Nurse there must be a non-zero number of damage counters on the selected pokemon. The 'if any' text is only refering to the second part of Nurse where you have to discard energy.​

---and we know that Nintendo have changed quite a few things since the wotc days. reliance upon tradition is not always the best guide.

fun and games ;) :p

if I'm judging I'd allow Nurse to be used on any pokemon even ones without damage counters. but up until the rare candy ruling I'd have allowed Rare Candy to be discarded from hand. Both of my rulings would have been based upon the 'play as written' guideline that Yoshi used in his original post.

Last edited:
Well see the reason they ruled you couldn't play Rare Candy and not evolve the pokemon if you had no evolution cards in your hand is because it would be physically impossible to do so. But in the case of nurse'n a pokemon with no damage counters on it, you can remove 0 damage counters. Two entirely different cases.

If anyone could get a hack ruling on this thing for me to use, it would be appreciated. There will be $200.00 on the line this weekend and I want to be consistant with PUI for this call.

I know there will be at least one deck using Magneton and Nurse, so I want to get it right.

Meganium45

Sorry, meant no disrespect by the "hack" comment. I was hoping to get something informal from PUI before the tourney. At a tourney this week it was ruled on that it could not discard energy, using the Pokemon Center card and the Rare Candy ruling as a basis.

Unless PUI announces, I am not going to confuse my gym by overturning an unofficial ruling with an unofficial ruling. (No offense 'pop)

For anyone going to the $200.00 tourney - the ruling stands that Pokemon Nurse will not allow the discard of energy from a Pokemon with no damage counters on it.

Back