Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

NXD-On Elephant Parade (Donphan deck)

Status
Not open for further replies.

orion74656

Ok, so I was going through some bulk pokemon cards today and stumbled across a Donphan. And an idea popped in my head...

Pokemon:
3x Phanpy
3x Donphan
2x Groudon Ex
2x Lunatone
2x Victini Ex
1x Keldeo Ex

Supporter:
3x N
3x Skyla
3x Cheren
2x Professor Juniper
2x Colress

Items:
4x Ether
3x Level Ball
3x Heavy Ball
1x Energy Retrieval
2x Tool Scrapper
2x Float Stone
1x Scramble Switch

Stadium:
3x Battle City
3x Aspertia City Gym

Energy:
10x Fighting Energy
2x Prism Energy

Strategy:

Start off with Victini to start boosting up the energy on my donphan and groudon.

I have 6 stadiums, because Donphan does more damage with that in play, and not everyone uses a stadium, so I need to make sure I can always have one up. And I've chosen two that can be minimally helpful but aren't too specific (like the team plasma ones).

Lunatone is used for his ability. I can look at the top two cards, and if I find an energy there, put it on top, and use ether to then pull it and attach it.

That's the hardest thing, will be to build up the energy on the poke's, since they need 3-4 for their top attack.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet, just built it like 5 minutes ago. But I'd love some feedback.

if you are looking at seriously giving donphan some real play. I would suggest srapping this entire list and rebuilding from the ground up.
Here is a skeleton that IMO would give donphan a more competitive style of play.

4-4 Donphan line
2 Mewtwo ex
2 Tornadus ex (dex)

4 Juniper
4 N
3 Skyla
1 Bianca
1 Colress

3 Virbank Stadium
4 Hypno Laser
3 Silver Bangle (30 more damage to ex's with donphan)
1 Enhance Hammer
1 Switch
2 Float Stone
3 Pokémon Catcher
2 Max Potion
1 Dowsing Machine
2 Ultra Ball

10 Fighting energy
3 DCE

With this line I think the deck would work much much better.
You have 2 switch to get you out of special conditions. Donphan can go to the bench and get himself out of poison damage on attack.
I wouldn't focus as much thought into playing down 4 energy on donphan to try and swing with his bottom attack, you have no means of energy acceleration.
1 energy for 40 damage, potentially 70 with bangle, then another 30 with a poison in 1 turn, for 1 energy. Potential is the key word though.
Mewtwo & Tornadus are in there for obvious support, I wouldn't play landorus because then any water deck will destroy you.
If I could suggest anything else, it would be adding in another max potion in place of something. It's really good considering you only need 1 energy on donphan.
Ether is a bad play because you don't have room for enough basic energy. In all my ether decks I find that you need 15+ basic to run it effectively.
Any more questions, let me know.

if you are looking at seriously giving donphan some real play. I would suggest srapping this entire list and rebuilding from the ground up.
Here is a skeleton that IMO would give donphan a more competitive style of play.

4-4 Donphan line
2 Mewtwo ex
2 Tornadus ex (dex)

4 Juniper
4 N
3 Skyla
1 Bianca
1 Colress

3 Virbank Stadium
4 Hypno Laser
3 Silver Bangle (30 more damage to ex's with donphan)
1 Enhance Hammer
1 Switch
2 Float Stone
3 Pokémon Catcher
2 Max Potion
1 Dowsing Machine
2 Ultra Ball

10 Fighting energy
3 DCE

With this line I think the deck would work much much better.
You have 2 switch to get you out of special conditions. Donphan can go to the bench and get himself out of poison damage on attack.
I wouldn't focus as much thought into playing down 4 energy on donphan to try and swing with his bottom attack, you have no means of energy acceleration.
1 energy for 40 damage, potentially 70 with bangle, then another 30 with a poison in 1 turn, for 1 energy. Potential is the key word though.
Mewtwo & Tornadus are in there for obvious support, I wouldn't play landorus because then any water deck will destroy you.
If I could suggest anything else, it would be adding in another max potion in place of something. It's really good considering you only need 1 energy on donphan.
Ether is a bad play because you don't have room for enough basic energy. In all my ether decks I find that you need 15+ basic to run it effectively.
Any more questions, let me know.

i was wondering why mewtwo? ya i know it attacks on dce but that's about it the reason mewtwo was good was because it could be piled with engery and used to ko mostly other mewtwo what's the advantage of having mewtwo in here?

i was wondering why mewtwo? ya i know it attacks on dce but that's about it the reason mewtwo was good was because it could be piled with engery and used to ko mostly other mewtwo what's the advantage of having mewtwo in here?

Mewtwo is a good counter to plasma kyurem as well as landorus, lugia, can hit deoxys hard and keldeo. It's just a good card.
Mewtwo wasn't just played to counter other mewtwo, it's original playability was because it's just a flat out good card.

i want to point out if any of the Pokemon you stated were fully loaded (minus lugia) mewtwo could hit 80-100 max where landorus could hit 150 the following turn with a lazer and KO lugia same deal but you hitting for 110 damage and getting 120 even 150 with lazer witch is much better than the 110-140 with lazer. plasma keyrum could hit for more 120 attack+ 30bangle +30 lazer giving 180 damage from a basic non EX Pokemon to ko your mewtwo

Last edited:
i want to point out if any of the Pokemon you stated were fully loaded (minus lugia) mewtwo could hit 80-100 max where landorus could hit 150 the following turn with a lazer and KO lugia same deal but you hitting for 110 damage and getting 120 even 150 with lazer witch is much better than the 110-140 with lazer. plasma keyrum could hit for more 120 attack+ 30bangle +30 lazer giving 180 damage from a basic non EX Pokemon to ko your mewtwo

Lol, I am well aware what other cards can do. Anything can beat anything. You come here trying to counter my advice for adding in mewtwo but you still provide nothing to the topic of helping this deck with a card that would be better in it's place.

dont' forget to mention, if you want to do 180 damage with landrous with a bangle attached, you drop down to maybe not being able to attack next turn. i'd rather take the potential 80-100 (110-130 with bangle, 140-160 with lazer) and be able to attack every turn instead of being a one trick pony

dont' forget to mention, if you want to do 180 damage with landrous with a bangle attached, you drop down to maybe not being able to attack next turn. i'd rather take the potential 80-100 (110-130 with bangle, 140-160 with lazer) and be able to attack every turn instead of being a one trick pony
bangle dose not work on EX's
and with the current format landorous Ex might not be the best but another card could be terrakion ex it could be used as late game enegery acceleration and its not weak to blastisoe.

- - - Updated - - -

the best card is extradrill EX after legendary treasures comes out attack for a DCE and dose the same as either

bangle dose not work on EX's
and with the current format landorous Ex might not be the best but another card could be terrakion ex it could be used as late game enegery acceleration and its not weak to blastisoe.

- - - Updated - - -

the best card is extradrill EX after legendary treasures comes out attack for a DCE and dose the same as either

None of those would be good because Virizgen will exploit the Terrakions with ease. Keldeo slams Donphan and Excadrill. Making your entire deck weakness to 1 type is bad deck architecture. Mewtwo can 2 hit anything that uses 3 energies. And most of the time 2 hit anything that will use 2 energies. Running laser only makes mewtwo more powerful and the fact that he doesn't need a specific type of energy to Xball, not to mention already running DCE. There isn't a card in the format, or future (upon release of LTs) that will pair better.
Only thing I can see would be, Donphan/Bangle/Laser with Gothe to prevent them from switching out or attaching float stones to retreat. Forcing them to spend energy turn after turn on retreating. Seems legit to me. Future deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back