Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

# of rounds at US nats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pidgeotto Trainer

So last year there were 9 rounds, but I heard a rumor that POP is going to do pods in order to keep the number of rounds to about 7. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I'm sure that Mike Liesik posted something about the timing for USA nationals some weeks (months?) ago

I remember a post that stated that it's unreasonable to do a single round (start to start) in less than an hour. I don't think that PUI wants to do another 9 hour day...

I think it is just normal swiss. I dont think they could justify pods at nationals. I mean I am sure they could try but I just dont think it would work for players who "want" to play more rounds so they can hope to get a rating invite. I do believe tho Masters will end up getting a T32 cut instead of 16 based on the number of players.
Drew

I have no inside knowledge so this is my take.

The tournament operating guidelines this year have been updated to include something called flights. Why would this be done? Because it is planned on being used.

With let's say 500 Masters in the event, I would predict 2 or 3 flights with seven rounds each.

Additional supporting info is that JR and SR may not use the same game clock as the Masters. My guess is that it is going to take longer to flight and pair 500 masters whereas the JRs and SRs will go straight as is with 7 rounds.

Steve

I don't know, either...

Here's what it says on the op website:

What is the tournament structure?
The tournament is run using the Modified (DX-on) Format and Swiss plus Single Elimination.

The National Championships will be broken into sections by age divisions and will be run using Swiss Pairings. Because Swiss rounds are dependent upon total attendance of each age group, there will be a minimum of five rounds of Swiss, with more rounds as necessary based on attendance. Swiss rounds will feature one-game matches.

After the final round of Swiss, the top 16 players from each age division (attendance levels permitting) will move into a single-elimination round. Single-elimination rounds will be a best-of-three game format, and will have a 60-minute time limit per match.

National Championships events have a K-Value of 44. For more information on K-Value and Ratings and Rankings, click here.

I'm real hesitant to say either way. I know someone in WA has been spreading the rumor that the tournament will be flighted, but it is purely speculation on his part. Hopefully POP will see this thread and be able to let the affected players know before the tournament. With a K value of 44, number of total matches played will really make a difference.

Good Luck!

The decision to flight or otherwise will be made on the day once the organisers know how much time they have for the rounds and how many entrants they have. Ignore any rumor that states categorically that it will or won't be a tournament with flights. This is exactly the same position that any tournament organiser is in when players ask how many rounds they will run before attendance is known. We can point at the floor rules and that is all. The option to flight is there just as the option to run swiss-1 is there.

We will know the answer in a few days time.

[edit: I found the post by Mike Liesik http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=815459&postcount=78 Oh and just incase anyone leaps on the 10 rounds I think that is just by way of example and not a promise! ]

Last edited:
Yep, only 2-day event outside of Worlds, and Norway, and Australia, Mexico, and Denmark next year.

Last edited:
Tourney for the top players in each area

I wonder if some day if there will be a Championship for North America where all the top players from Canada USA and Mexico could get together and dish it out. Then Europe could crown a European Champion and South American and Asia/Pacific Champions. then like the top 16 from each Championship would determine who played in the World Championships afterward.

Nats has always been a 2 day event for Aus.

imo I don't know how you'd get an accurtae T32 with only 7-9 rounds vs the amount of players that will turn up.

You might have to do it in different pods- even then thats probably less acccurate

Well, im out of suggestions... looks like US are gonna have a full ball Nationals this year lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back