Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Official Chicago/Rockford City Championship Marathon

Chicago/Rockford City Championships Marathon​

This event is open to all players. We are using the Swiss pairing format, so you can play through each round and never be eliminated until the swiss rounds are over. City Championships are a great place to test your new deck strategies and bring your play skills to the next level! The top players of the City Championship are awarded prizes for the skills needed to do well in such a large event.

When preparing for a City Championship Tournament make sure you have a Deck that is ready to play in a competitive sanctioned tournament. To do this first check that your Deck complies with the current Tournament Format. After checking your cards are legal for play, you will then need to fill out a DECKLIST!

If you are using sleeves be sure they are all the same color and size. Damaged sleeves will NOT be allowed for this event. Shiny backs or printed backed sleeves will also not be allowed.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, Leave yourself at least an additional 15 minutes every weekday morning to accommodate for Chicago area traffic. If it says, on google maps, you will be there in 20 minutes, you need to leave at least 35 minutes early!!! Do not be late, if you don’t want a round 1 loss.

Date: 12-28-2012
3395 Black Road.
Joliet, IL 60431
Registration Time - 9am - 9:45am
Max attendance: 140

Date: 12-29-2012
100 Parkers Mill (Corner of Route 31 and Route 34)
Oswego, IL 60543
Max attendance: 180

Date: 12-30-2012
1825 Miner Street.
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Max attendance: 200

Date: 12-31-2012
15420 S. Route 59 Unit 120
Plainfield, IL 60544
Max attendance: 120

Date: 1-1-2013
15420 S. Route 59 Unit 120
Plainfield, IL. 60544
1st Annual Team Championship
Max attendance: 24 teams
3 Players per team. $10 per player. Every player gets a pack for entering. 1 Booster Box toward prize for every 4 teams. More details to come.

Date: 1-2-2013
3900 Milton Ave
Janesville, WI. 53546
Max attendance: 300

Date: 1-3-2013
1405 South Park Ave.
Streamwood, IL 60107
Max attendance: 240

Date: 1-4-2013
12015 Mill St.
Huntley, IL 60142
Max attendance: 180

Date: 1-5-2013
7675 Walton Street
Rockford, IL. 61108
Max attendance: 220

The main tournament will last 8 to 10 hours

Hotel Accommodations
The Holiday Inn Express has set aside a block of rooms for this event. This hotel is about 30 minutes (no traffic of course) away from nearly all locations. This is an AWESOME place to stay for a nice get away. It has FREE internet, FREE hot breakfast, a pool and hot tub, Refrigerator and microwaves in every room. The Holiday Inn has also lowered the price of a room to $89.99 from Monday 12-28-12 through Monday 1-1-13, if you book by 11-28-2012. (Use Code PKN when calling) This is an ideal place to stay for the SOUTH (Dec 28th-Jan1st) events. You can book rooms using information below.

Holiday Inn Express Joliet-Plainfield I-55 North
3231 Norman Avenue
Joliet IL 60431
800-315-2621
Hotel Website
This hotel is also 10 minutes away from the bowling alley we typically attend to celebrate New Years Eve!!!

TOURNAMENT FORMAT
Modified Constructed.
For a copy of modified legal reprints look HERE!

TOURNAMENT STRUCTURE
Modified Swiss with a cut to the top 8 players. The number of rounds will be based on number of players in the event.

Three Age Divisions:
>> Juniors (born in 2002 or later)
>> Seniors (born in 1998, 1999, 2000, or 2001)
>> Masters (born in 1997 or earlier)

ENTRY FEE
FREE!!!
Players will be entered into random door prize raffles just for signing up!

DECK REGISTRATION:
Every player must provide us with a legible copy of their decklist PRIOR to close of registration. Anyone failing to turn a decklist on time will be considered late and the proper penalty will be assesed.

PRIZES
Prizes will be awarded to the top 4 finishers in each age division.
1st Place – 18 Booster Packs + A Championship Award
2nd Place – 10 Booster Packs
3rd/4th Place – 4 Booster Packs
Additionally, there will be a promo card for everyone who attends (while supplies last) and several random door prizes at each tournament.

SIDE EVENTS
Win-a-Box - New Event! - Limited Availability!
Format: Modified Sanctioned
Type: 8 player, 2 out of 3, Single Elimination Tournament
Price: $15.00 - each player receives one pack when they sign up
Prize: Full Sealed Box of most current set

Limited Draft
Format: Limited Sanctioned
Type: 8 player, 2 out of 3, Single Elimination Tournament
Price: $15.00
Prize: 1st place 8 packs of most current set
2nd place 4 packs of most current set

TRADING
While trading is fine, please note that buying/selling cards with anyone except for our authorized dealer(s), or soliciting to do so elsewhere, is strictly forbidden at this event. Failure to obey this rule may result in both the buyer and the seller being removed from the event, and banned from attending future events.

Top Cut Comics also reserves the right to limit the amount of space being occupied by any one individual while trading, and does not allow the use of suitcases, handcarts, luggage carts, etc. to be used for the purpose of transporting excessive amounts of trade stock. We need to be considerate of all those around us.

MORE INFORMATION
Players who want specific information can contact us at [email protected] or by phone at 815.633.0330.

Last edited:
Oh yeah! I'm there! Been waiting for this to be officially announced for a long, long time. I'll be there, with my new camera setup(s), and as a Judge or Staff wherever you need it. Gonna be an incredible week!

Also I'll add that for the Northern Events (Jan 1 through Jan 5) I have blocks of rooms set up for these locations for these nights: (reserve and pay 30 days prior to stay for special rate)

Janesville WI
3900 Milton Ave
Janesville, WI. 53546
Block rate $59.95 for Pokemon

Rockford IL
7675 Walton Street
Rockford, IL. 61108
Block rate: $94.00 for Pokemon

I'll have a lot more details on the Janesville and Rockford events at my website within the next day or so,

It's gonna be quite the week!

Already requested off work for the first 4 days of the marathon, will see about getting the ones in the new year off too. Excited to see my Chicago fiends! Maybe this year Jimmy wont think my name is Jason?

Should be able to go to at least 3 out of the first 4, need to defend my title in Joliet, lol.

Wow, so many city championships. My eyes boggled at the addition of the Janesville CCs, but that's because that's pretty far off from Chicago. I shouldn't complain though, because it is what it is.

Also, I'd like to hear more info about the New Year's Day event going on. A team tournament? Will this be Battle Frontier format or something entirely different? I'm just curious, is all! ^^;

If I can make it to all of them, I will. Good luck to all going!

Top Cut Comics will be at all eight events vending.... We will have all the basic needs for the average player. Sleeves, Deck Boxes, Boosters, Tins, etc... If you need anything special email us at [email protected] before the event.

We will also be buying pokemon bulk...

The pricing listed below is what will be used for these events...

Pokemon Bulk Buy Prices
Bulk Common/Uncommon: $0.0225 ($22.25 per 1000 cards)
Bulk Rare: $0.05 ($50.00 per 1000 cards)
Bulk Foil Common/Uncommon: $0.05 ($50.00 per 1000 cards)
Bulk Foil Rare: $0.05
Bulk Ultra Rare (Prime, Lv. X, Ex): $0.50

We will also have a list of singles we are buying onsite. Why wait till Nationals when you can get extra cash NOW?

See you all soon!!!

Jimmy

Hope everyone's getting pumped up and ready for the Marathon! I know I am!! Hope to see you all there!

2 days and about 30 minutes until the insanity starts. Anybody prepped yet?

For all those trainers going to be in town New years eve.... For many years now we have had a tradition of taking our family Bowling for New years. It is a great time and we actually had a group from Ohio join us last year and we all had a blast.

We get a lane for $65. It comes with the following....
Bowling for 5 people
Shoe rental for all 5 people
1 pizza
2 pitchers of pop
bowling for 2 hours
champagne toast at midnight for all those over 21

If you are interested, It is at Town and Country lanes in Joliet. Look it up to make reservations. I currently have 4 lanes of my own for my family. We had to pay in advance for the lanes so they dont get stiffed. You can tell them you are part of the Ballard group so we can all be close together.

P.S. Heres the info for you lazy people....
Town and Country Lanes
2231 West Jefferson Street Joliet, IL 60435
(815) 725-1231

Keep in mind this is NOT an Official Top Cut Comics or Official Pokemon event. If you decide to attend you are doing so at your own discretion and need to be responsible for yourself.

See you all soon,...

Jimmy

Great day 1!!!

117 total players, 7 rounds top 8, start time 10:05am, Finish time 6:38PM. Swiss was completed at 3:15pm. Pops to all the players for keeping things moving.

The Online pairing system worked AMAZINGLY great!!!

Props to Carlos for his assistance with the technical side.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again tomorrow.... Maybe 140ish players???

Jimmy

Great day 1!!!

117 total players, 7 rounds top 8, start time 10:05am, Finish time 6:38PM. Swiss was completed at 3:15pm. Pops to all the players for keeping things moving.

The Online pairing system worked AMAZINGLY great!!!

Props to Carlos for his assistance with the technical side.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again tomorrow.... Maybe 140ish players???

Jimmy

Yes, day one of the tournament went really well. Keep up the good work, Jimmy!

I wouldn't surprised if we get around 140ish players tomorrow as well. I mean, its the weekend; virtually everyone is free of work.

Well, tomorrow is day 2, and good luck to all for another day!

QUESTION: Does anyone know who made up the top 4 and won the entire tournament from Joliet, along with their decks?

Jaegar won.

Oswego's gonna be a fun one! I wouldn't be surprised if this is the largest tournament of the entire marathon.

Back