Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

"Oh the Humanity!" - a tl:dr Canadian Eastern Regs report

Nu Gundam

A week or so before Regionals, I was pondering whether to keep on with Dialga/Palkia, but I decided to go with straight Dialga G since it had a slightly more favorable matchup against Machamp and well ... I had been reckless with the Lost Cyclone at times. =/ *The rest of the details before Regionals are omitted because frankly, they are pointless and boring as they involved with getting there, last minute preps, and what not.*

We have nearly 80 Masters and we had 7 Rounds of Swiss with a Top 16 cut.

Round 1 VS Mark S. (Blaziken/Heatran)

Great ... first round and I'm already facing a fire deck. Despite the obvious disadvantage, I am even against him thanks to Toxicroak G and we were tied in prizes with his Blaziken nearly charged up. I sent up a fresh Dialga G , level it up, and attach another Special Metal and I flipped 2 heads on Remove Lost stripping his Blaziken dry. He Switched to another Blaziken, and I attached the third Special Metal on Dialga, but failed to Remove Lost him. Time was called, and he decided to concede since he knows the damage he does won't be enough to KO my Dialga and anything else on his bench would be KO'd in one hit since all of his Pokemons' remaining HP are 80 or less.

1-0

Round 2 VS Xiang (?) (Palkia G/Dialga G)

He managed to get slightly ahead by using his Power Sprays. However, I managed to claw back and went ahead. He ends up conceding after I went ahead and he drew nothing.

2-0

Round 3 VS Rani (Kingdra)

Managed to went quite ahead due to use of Deafen, Power Spray, and forcing him to Aqua Stream with Dialga G X up front. He conceded after I took 5 Prizes and he had no outs.

3-0

Round 4 VS Bin (Gengar)

We managed to have a close game, but he edged out by 1 Prize when time was called.

3-1

Round 5 VS Shane (Giratina/Gardevoir)

I managed to 6-1 him in Prizes with all of the KO's done by Toxicroak G, I didn't think I even bothered with getting Dialga G out.

4-1

After this round I finally managed to have enough time to take the long elevator ride down to the ground floor to get something to eat.

Round 6 VS Sebastian S. (GG + Weavile)

I have to face Sebastian in Regionals for the last two years and this year is proved to be no exception. This was another close game where we practically trade Prizes back and forth and we both went down to 1 Prize each, he Warped my Dialga G X out and attacked my Claydol for 60. I Warped my Claydol out and he sent a Gallade with no Energies on it since anything else on his board can be OHKO'd by Dialga G X. He Telepass'd my Roseanne's, then he concedes since he couldn't find any basic Dark energies so he could use his Sneasel's Feint Attack to KO my Claydol. This makes me 3-0 against him in Regs ... with all the games decided by 1 Prize.

5-1

Round 7 VS Matt K. (Gengar)

And ... the last round I had to get paired up against this guy since he was the only 6-0 in the tournament. The good news is that even if I lose to him, I'm guaranteed top cut since my resistence would be ludicriously high. While we were pretty even, but he decided to go after my Skuntank G with his Gengar ... this swayed the match to his favor since I ended up letting Fainting Spell go off twice and ... he hit heads with both of them. =/ And no, you are not getting a long winded portion in my report since frankly, I had nothing else that I could think up of.

5-2

After the Swiss is finished, I ended up 6th being the highest resistence 5-2. Me ant Matt ended up discussing the strategies in top cut and how we won't be facing each other until the finals ... if we both made it.

T16 VS Omar (G Deck)

Game 1: He kept on using Deafen we both set up two Dialga Gs, but he ended up winning with a fair margin and I decided to go to Game 2.
Game 2: I chose to go second and I ended up pulled a T1 Deafen and proceeded to win since he had no answers against me due to Power Sprays and what not.
Game 3: Sudden Death. I was forced to go first, but he had a Toxicroak G out, so I ended up forcing a T1 Deafen and he was forced to bring out a Dialga G X to buy time, but I kept on using Deafen until he ended up draw dead and concedes.

6-2

T8 VS Terry K. (Palkia G + Dialga G)

Game 1: I went second and ended up keeping Terry and his Honchkrow G in "Deafen Jail" for 5 straight turns and he conceded.
Game 2: This ended up being more of an actual game as we both managed to set up (though I managed to set up slightly faster since I kept him in Deafen lock again for several turns) and we both have taken Prizes with me being ahead. He eventually had a Palkia G Lv.X up and Hydro Shot my Bronzong G on the bench, but I KO'd his Palkia G X and Remove Lost'd the basic Metals away. As he ended up not having a out on losing the Metal Energies and had nothing on his hand, he conceded.

7-2

T4 VS Zach L. (Gengar + Machamp)

Game 1: We were somewhat even at the beginning, but my Dialga G X strapped with Unown G and 3 Special Metal and Toxicroak Gs have managed to pull ahead enough for him to scoop.
Game 2: I started with a lone Toxicroak G, I attached Call Energy to Toxicroak G and called out another one plus Baltoy. Then next turn I evolved Baltoy into Claydol, laid down Lake Boundary, Cosmic Powered, and set up "Toxitank" T2. and he conceded as he had nothing on his hand.

After I was done much earlier than Matt and Bin, I decided to rest up a bit. Apparently Matt lost to Bin with his own deck AND on a coin flip ... an order of cruel irony is now served. So much for our plan to settle our grudge match from last year's Regionals with a game of Rock Paper Scissors since it was almost 10pm and I think the rest would like to get out.

8-2

T2 VS Bin ... again

So basically I have to play against the same person from Round 4 for the Finals ... I'll see if I get my revenge ... whatever it is.

Game 1: Pretty much I Unown G'd my Skuntank G and managed went ahead enough to take enough Prizes to take Game 1.
Game 2: And ... the reverse is true since he Shadow Room'd my Claydols and I ended up drew dead, so yeah ...
Game 3: Apparently I decided to went to Game 3 around 30 seconds before time so we had to do it with full 6 Prizes. After looking at my hand, I decided to go first and I attached Metal to Dialga G and passes. He then Luxury Ball'd and Rare Candied into a Claydol and use Cosmic Power, but all he could get out is a Gastly, he then retreated his Crobat G and Pitch Blacks me. I then played Lake Boundary, attached Energy, Bebe's for a Skuntank G, Uxie to 7 cards, Poison Structure'd, and Deafened him. Then he evolved into Haunter, sent out a Crobat G, and Lookers himself. Next turn, I top decked a Crobat G and I ended up Cyrus for an Energy, Poketurn, and something to take down his Crobat G in one shot.

9-2

And so, the tournament finally ended at 11pm and we basically made a run to the elevator after Mike and Paul handed out the Prizes. The ride down was a bit ... cramped.

Props:

- Chad, TRUK, and MK's (obv. not limited to just the three of them) advices for making this possible.
- Omar and Drew Holton for winning their Regs along with Gordon and Pram doing extremely well in theirs.
- Clutch Remove Lost flips.
- Skuntank G for reducing Fainting Spell flips down to an acceptable level.
- Ramada next door for charging only $10 for parking instead of $23.
- Quinn for winning Regs.
- The impressive attendence figure of 150+ in total.

Slops:

- My dice for letting Matt to flip two heads on Fainting Spell during Swiss. (at least I know better on what to do during top cut and made it count)
- Matt for losing in T4 and for making me writting this pointless report. (Especially the latter part)
- Sean for not being there.
- Sebastian for not T4ing to replicate last year's Regionals T4
- Sebastian Crema for getting donked 2 out of 3 games in T4 for his Regs.
- 5-2s and 6-2s whiffing in various other Regionals.

Pointless Nitpicking:

- The hotel for not putting a bigger sign on where the tournament is held, and of course, the 23 floor elevator ride.
- The trophy has gotten a bit ... big.
- Finishing pretty late at almost 11pm, though I can't complain since most other Regionals didn't finish until the wee hours of the night.

Last edited:
GJ Kevin. I wonder why I discarded the waters rather than the METAL energies with hydroshot, at least that would have preserved them in my discard. Oh yes I remember ... you were absolutely owning me and my brain wasn't working. Next time, Next time ...

BTW, thx for putting Quinn in your props. His first major win was certainly the highlight of my day. Look forward to our next game.

Back