Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ohio Battle Roads--Double 8th Place

Stegy

Stegy's Battle Roads
Columbus, Ohio (September 26th) and Mansfield, Ohio (October 10th)​

Columbus
First, let me say that I haven't played against a real opponent in five years. I played in the Ruby/Sapphire Tournament in Columbus, which was a mixed between sealed and GBA, and won. It was the last Pokemon tournament I ever played in. Five years later, I'm back.

For this season, I decided to run Charizard. It wasn't so much a "rogue" decision as "that card looks cool and he only costs 5 dollars on eBay--sold!" At this tournament I didn't even run Uxies because I didn't have them. You work with what you got, eh?

Anyway, less talk, more action.

Round 1 vs. Tyranitar
I was so nervous. I mean, I playtest against myself and everything, but I hadn't played against someone in so long. We both get slow starts, but I get a Charizard up a turn before he starts attacking with his T-Tar. Instead of smashing me for, like, 130 damage, he Darkness Howls. It was his only T-Tar, and I manage to knock it out and proceed to KO whatever else he sent up.
1-0

Round 2 vs. Regigigas
I was not expecting this deck at all. I get a pretty good start--I think I had two Charizards by Turn 3 or 4. Because I was dealing so much damage, he had to Sacrifice nearly every turn to heal himself. We eventually got down to 1-1 in Prizes with him 2 cards left in deck. I couldn't stall nor do enough damage to KO Regigigas, so he takes it.
1-1

Round 3 vs. Vilegar (Gengar SF/Vileplume)
She opens with a Spiritomb and me a Blaziken FB. I had a fantastic hand but I couldn't use it because of Spiritomb. I was on Trainer-lock the entire game. She built-up two Gengars and a Machamp and just knocked out whatever I had.
1-2

Round 4 vs. Crobat Prime Electric/Psychic SP
He opens with Gallade 4 and a Rotom (the +10 damage for each Trainer in hand one). I built up several Charizards and just KO'd whatever he sent up. He did Confuse me several times with a Gengar but I flipped heads to KO it to take my last 2 prizes.
2-2

Round 5 vs. Tyranitar
Another T-Tar! Anyway, I got a fantastic start. I mean, I had a Charizard with 5 Fire Pokemon and an Expert Belt very early in the game. I just KO'd whatever he sent up.
3-2

I ended up in 8th place out of 20 people. Not too bad for being out of it for so long!
===========================================================
Mansfield, OH
With this Battle Roads I was feeling a bit better about my deck. I obtained 2x Uxies and changed my Trainer lineup considerably, so I was ready.

Round 1 vs. Blastoise/Raichu
I had a terrible start. I had, like, 4-5 Fire Energies, a Blaziken FB, and, like, a Rare Candy. Yeah. I don't know how I held on but I got some awesome topdecks and ended up with 2 Charizards in play. After I KO'd his Blastoise I took the game.
1-0

Round 2 vs. Luxchomp
I haven't played Luxchomp at all until this game. I get a terrible start with, yet again, 4-5 Fire Energies and a Vulpix or something. I can't get anything going and he just takes me out. We play again for fun and I win with a 1-1 prize count at the end.
1-1

Round 3 vs. Mothin/Vespiquen/Shaymin
I had the best start ever. She starts with an Uxie and nothing else, me a Charmander. She attaches and does 20. On my turn I Rare Candy to Charizard, Uxie, bench some Fire Pokemon and attach an Expert Belt to Charizard to hit for exactly 70 and game. I donked someone! =O We played a fun game and she got a Mothim with a DCE and a Grass Energy doing 60+Burn, Poison, and Sleep. It wasn't fun, but I had the advantage (weakness and all) and won.
2-1

Round 4 vs. Scizor Prime with some SP stuff
He wasn't excited to see me, and I understand since I had his weakness. He starts with the old Jungle Scyther and me a Charmander. I can't find either a Rare Candy or a Charizard (I went second) so I couldn't donk him. He puts up a great fight but I end up getting 3 Charizards and a Blaziken FB X up and running to win the game.
3-1

I'm very excited at this point.. because I have a chance to top cut! It has been a long time..

Round 5 vs. Luxchomp
So I get a terrible start.. again. A lone Blaziken FB with nothing good in hand. I Bebe's for an Uxie but he Sprays it. GG =(
3-2

So I end up in 8th place out of 26 people. I had one of the best 3-2 resistances. My last round opponent made 5th, so I wonder if I even did win if I would have made Top 4, but my resistance was pretty good.

I stay a bit to see if I won any bonus packs (door prizes) but I don't think they gave any out. The Top 4 consisted of Luxchomp, Luxchomp, Sablelock/Luxchomp (might have had Dialga, not sure) and Regigigas. I'm pretty sure that's right.

Good times, though. Good times. I can't way for future tournaments.

Anyway, here's the general list I ran:

Pokemon: 20
4x Charmander
2x Charmeleon
4x Charizard
2x Vulpix (shiny)
2x Ninetales
2x Blaziken FB
2x Blaziken FB X
2x Uxie

Trainers: 26
4x Bebe's Search
4x Rare Candy
3x Expert Belt
3x Quick Ball
3x Professor Oak's New Theory
2x Broken Time-Space
2x Warp Point
2x Super Scoop Up
2x Fisherman
2x Pokemon Collector
1x Luxury Ball
1x Palmer's Contribution

Energy: 11
11x Fire Energy

The Columbus list ran Pokedex and a 3-3 Ninetales line, I believe. This is the Mansfield list.

I'm going to try a 4-4-4 Charizard line with more Broken Time-Space and some Pokemon Communications.. because Quick Ball just failed this tournament. =( 11 Fire Energy seems pretty solid, though.

So the fabled Stegy makes 2 appearances at my events, and doesn't introduce himself to me? :wink:

Glad you made it out. Hope to see more of you, and actually get to meet you. Are you still close to Mansfield?

Hey congrats on your records, not to bad I must say :)

I was your second round opponent at the guard tower with Regigigas, I have to give you probs, you played that charizard deck very very well :)

Back