Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ohio PTO???

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungJohn06

K... so I just heard that PUI canned our PTO (Dayton Pokemom). Just wondering how exactly we're going to have tournaments. I'm incredibly ticked off right now (but since it'll just result in probably this getting locked/me banned which ever) I'm going to not go into that too much.

So the reason that she loses her PTO stuff is for running a draft FOR THE PLAYERS at the IN State championship. The players wanted a draft, Derek I've been told can't do drafts because he didn't have the product to support it. That's fine, but the Gillettes had extra product and let us draft with it for five bux since they had some extra and wanted to push it out. That was really cool and we all enjoyed it.

I understand he was upset about them running a tournament (unsanctioned) because it did lose him some money. However it was for the players and he never came to them and asked them to not hold it or anything, I do think he should have gone to them and tried to settle it before ANYTHING else. He's an adult and the gillettes are both adults as well... they should be able to talk things out not run and tattle on the other for doing something "wrong" or that they don't like.

I can see being penalized or something for this... however taking away their PTO ability when they are THE ONLY PTOS IN THE AREA FOR TWO STATES (OHIO AND KENTUCKY) IS JUST WRONG. How exactly is this helping solve the problem? They had FOUR prereleases planned and now they're cancelled. They IMO could have at least let them finish out the year so we have some form of OP and TIME TO FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT. Explain to me how taking OP away from two states is hurting/punishing the TO that much. Sure they don't get paid for running an event or something but what the heck are the players in those areas going to do besides kill the game in that spot? How in the HECK was this discision in the best interest of the players? I know this isn't the official place to complain (tho it's going to be sent there as well) but something like this needs to be seen and discussed.

Soo well right now I guess we're at the mercy of PUI for tournaments in our area. Hopefully someone gets to be one around here soon. I obviously will travel for events but not everyone has that ability. We had 54 PLAYERS ALL FROM OHIO AT STATES. They just took OP in this state away from 54 players. We had a decent amount in KY so that's another group out. They just managed to get some op down there (Thanks to the Gillettes) and now it's been taken away. Indianapolis will also suffer by this because no one does events in the southern part of IN. Anything done in IN is held in the northern part.
They need to allow the Gillettes to AT LEAST run events for the remainder of the tournament season or find someone to fill in or something. This is NOT FAIR AT ALL THE THE PLAYERS. Regardless of what the Gillettes did, I do NOT think this was a smart choice on PUIs part. I enjoyed their events so much and I know the rest of Ohio did as well. This very easily could stop me and I'm sure many others from continuing with this game much longer. I'm sorry for ranting but this is not right. They DID NOT do anything severe enough to get something this big done so fast with no one to take over for them or run the events THEY HAD SCHEDULED THAT MANY OF US WERE PLANNING ON ATTENDING.

What do others think? I'll agree maybe the draft was rude, however if Derek had come to them and asked I bet they would have not done it. I don't agree with this discision... This isn't right at all. The players around here are now going to suffer a lot because we had so many tournaments being ran here. It was awesome. No one will be able to replace them. They were awesome and will be sorely missed. I used to love this game and had so much fun at these events. However lately things have changed so much, this game has changed so much.. the prizes obviously got better but the rest went down hill rapidly. These kind of discissions will be the death of this game. I hate to see it die because I love this game and I have made some wonderful friends because of it (including the Gillettes). However, if this kind of stuff continues I will definately be looking into another game.

Before you say they deserved it or something or say that it was their own fault or ANYTHING of the sort. Put your selves in our shoes for a moment. How would you feel if a PTO you were very close to (probably your local one) was dropped because of something like this, not only dropped but without warning and all the tournaments in your area came to a end. Events you had planned on attending... were cancelled. You'd be pretty upset.

Thank you for reading... So is anyone gonna help us til someone can permantly take over and try and run things all over Ohio

If you want to help us get our Organized Play back... please sign this petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/OHPTO/petition.html

this is my first post on the gym and I dunno but it sounds like you got ripped off pretty bad. I hope you get your TO back.

I wish I could help, but I'm not a PTO, and I have no way to get to Ohio. I wish you best of luck. Of course this is a madly stupid decision from PUI. Why take away a PTO's license because they hold a tournament at a store? I dunno. Sorry to hear that happened.

Right on YJ. I agree with you on almost everything u said.

I enjoyed every single one of their events. I dont have a single bad memory and I, as many OH players do greatly appreciate what the Gillette's have done for us. Its just not right for them to lose their status over something as dumb as this. The Gillette's need to get their job as PTO back. They deserve it as they have done a great job with every event of their's that I have attended.

~Ajay

I had nothing to do with it, you can blame me all you want but my guess is it was something else. What would I gain by them not doing tournaments? If anything it is more of a burden them not running them then anything.

Last edited:
This is a rediculous punishment for something as minor as holding a draft that is unsanctioned, in a hotel.

:frown: :nonono: :frown: :nonono: John If they dont get ther pto licenc back I think our lege will becoum a place megaman

Well, I don't agree what happened here, but this has to be for something that happened, I doubt they'll remove the PTO tag from her for doing this. It has to be something else. If it wasn't, I am seriously dissapointed.

Mechanix1992 said:
I think we should get the facts straightened out first.

The problem, however, is that decisions that affect several people are kept low-key and hidden, so when you do want to get the facts straightened out, the direct parties involved refuse to speak. It won't affect players much if there's a TO able to pick up their slack, but there is no TO that can.

Last edited:
I would like to say this much. It has been known that the Gillettes and PUI have not been on the best of terms for some time, and I know of alot of the instances, and they were minor, silly things that shouldn't have been made to be anything what so ever. This seems to be something also blown out of propotion and used simply as an excuse to get rid of them despite the fact that out of every tournament I have gone to, this includes ones directly run by WotC or PUI, I have found that they have done as good of job, if not better than every other PTO.

They have increased prizes out of their own pocket for many events, have given out packs for complications at tournaments ( One instance, at a CC last year, the software for pairing crashed, and everything had to be paired by hand. They gave all players packs for their patience. Out of the prize fund? Nope. Out of their own wallet. I guess taking the time to pair by hand, and give out free packs really is the sign of a bad PTO )

The main problem I have is that now that we lose our Pre-Releases, how in God's name will our players be able to get the cards from the new set in time? The only possible way to get all of the EXes needed, the good ones, would be at a Pre-Release, and now that is 100% impossible. If anything, if their liscence is permantently revoked, let them carry out the events which are already scheduled. If they did something "Irrevokablly wrong" than find replacements afterwords, OR have replacements lined up for the events that they have scheduled so that players are not left hanging.

As for Derek...claim innocence or not, I'm not certain either way. I've talked to you before, and your a nice guy and I have no personal problem with you at all, but I am aware that you and the Gillettes have far from gotten along for quite some time now, so I'm not finding any of these claims to be too far fetched, especially seeing how your the PTO for areas quite close to here and seem like a likely candidate to take over for events here if desired. I am aware there was a bit of a claim struggle as to who would get the Regionals near Ohio, which you obviously won. Again, I don't have any problems with you personally, your a nice guy, but I've heard some things.

I don't know. I think PUI definitely needs to rethink this. I have played the game since December of 1998 when the starter decks came out at our local Babbages electronics store, and have played in sanctioned tournaments since February of 2000, and in the original Test Leagues since they started, and the Gilettes have run some of the most enjoyable and well organized tournaments I have attended, and OP in Ohio will be sorely missed and our player base pretty much crippled by this, as even if we do find a new PTO, the odds of them running as many events as frequently are quite low.

Please, defend the Gillettes as much as you want, but don't blame Farbsman for what happened to them.
Farbsman is not PUI. It was PUI that removed their PTO status.
Argue with PUI's desicion and try to reverse that, if you want.
Don't use someone else as a scapegoat.

Yes, let's not burn Derek (farbsman) at the stake for a decision he did not make. If I was running a tournament and someone ran their own tournament at my venue, I would not be happy either, especially if the location costed money.

Aside from thanking the Gillettes for their services there is little a petition can do to change what has been decided. It is between the Gillettes and PUI. I'm sure that if the Gillettes and or PUI wished for the information surrounding their departure from premiere events to be public, they will or would have announced it.

The best course of action, in my honest opinion, is to request PUI to obtain another neighboring PTO to bring events to your states or request to PUI to find a TO who would be willing to sanction premiere events. I spent half a year judging premiere events in Georgia for PTO Heidi Craig who had to be a temp for the state while a suitable organizer was located.

I sincerely hope that the player base or your ability to attend events in your states do not suffer due to this decision, but let's not point fingers if we don't have any of the facts, IMO.

Last edited:
Another thing you could do instead of just giving up is to apply to be a PTO yourself if your old enough and run them. I'm sure you have people over 18 who play pokemon who could try. Unless you all just want someone else to do all the work so you can play maybe? If not, find someone responsible and give it a try.

I've known the Gillette's for a long time and echo the words of YJ and TTar. They were great PTO's that always ran high quality events. For something as petty as that, or whatever reason, their PTO status should not have been removed. Their presence here in Ohio will be greatly missed. This will cause some players, including myself, to contemplate on whether or not to continue this game. A truly bad move by PUI.

I must admit I was very surprised to hear this...and PUI made it clear to me that it was not because of Derek...let's not push this on him.

PUI would not go into details with me, but stated that they were being removed from the PTO program, and, as I am one of the PTOs in the area, wanted to make me aware of the situation, because I was sure to hear about it.

I doubt it was over anything minor, as PTOs are all human, and all of us have made mistakes from here to there. I have no idea what would have caused this, and wish I did, for I certainly would not want to step in the same hole.

Anyone that would have questions about the PTO program, in general, please PM me, or for those that know me, call me and I will be happy to talk to you about the program. I am sure any other PTO would offer this as well.

Hope we find a replacement out of Ohio ASAP!

M45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back