Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ohio States Report

ARMondak

~120 total, 60 in Masters (62 after late registration)
6 rounds, top 8 cut
Went with Sallygross

Rd 1: Tom Dolezal with Metanite
Not the person I wanted to play this early. He had a strong start, while I had a fairly weak start. I misplayed in playing my Scientist too early to try to get a Mentor. Despite an attempt at a comeback, Latios* just proves to be too much for me to overcome.
0-1

After doing the math, I figured that I had to win out to make top cut.

Rd 2: ???? with Venusaur/other grass pokes
I have a feeling this guy was a new player. I got a good start, while all he got was a Venusaur going. I take 6 prizes in about 7 minutes.
1-1

Lunch Break: headed to McDonalds across the street.

Rd 3: ???? with Pidgeot d/Flygon ex d
This was a lot closer than it should’ve been. I misplayed in thinking I had energy in my discard to attach to Metagross DX and knock out his Pidgeotto early, but that doesn’t happen, and it takes a while for me to recover. I regain control about midway through the game and plow through him with Sally EX.
2-1

Rd 4: Chris Fulop with SD
A make or break game. Neither of us gets a real good start, but I’m able to put pressure on him by getting an early Metagross DX and knocking out his Celebi EX. He topdecks a Transceiver to save him from an early loss and messes with my bench a lot with Jolteon EX and Absol EX. But with his low HP and my ability to do 100/turn with my Salamence d/EX, I end up taking my last 2 prizes just as time is called.
3-1

At this tournament, there was a bounty on whoever won a CC, and whoever beat a CC winner would get a number of packs equal to how many CCs they won. Fulop won 4 CC’s, so I get my 4 packs and pull a Skarmory EX.

Rd 5: Mike O’Donell with Mewtric
I wasn’t too sure on how this matchup would go, but I figured Metagross DX would help big time. He gets me into an early Disconnect lock and I struggle around until I get a Salamence running and am able to knock out his Manectric. He brings out his Mew EX and Shards + Megashots my active, breaking the Disconnect lock. From there I go crazy, playing like 3 Rare Candies and a Transceiver. From there I have a lot to work with and run over his Mews for the win.
4-1

Rd 6: ???? with Banette CG/Flareon d/Arbok d
I had a god start, and she couldn’t get much going due to my turn 3 Salamence d. She ends up being able to kill it with burn, but it’s too little too late.
5-1

I’m the 6th seed in top 8

Top 8: Matt C. with Aggron/Delcatty
Game 1: I t2 his Lairon with Metagross d.

Game 2: He’s able to Bound Crush a couple of my Pokemon, which concerns me, but I finally get a Salamence going. After Terraforming with his Aggron PK, he concedes, saying nothing was coming that could’ve helped him.

I wish the match would have gone a little better, since Matt is a great guy and enjoyed playing with him the most all tournament.

Top 4: Tom Dolezal with Metanite.
Game 1: Less than standard start, I concede about 12 minutes in.

Game 2: This one is much closer. We both get solid starts, and I’m able to get rid of his Latios* fairly early. Having played vs. Fulop’s list several times, this was huge because I knew it didn’t play Farmer. He kills a couple Pokemon with Metagross d, but I Farmer a couple times and get a Latios* ready to kill for my last prize.

Game 3: There’s about 18 minutes left on the clock, and I just want something to work with. I get
Windstorm
Scramble Energy
Salamence d
Salamence EX
Bagon
Metagross d
Salamence d

Uggh, WTH??? I think I get maybe one energy all game and concede after he takes a few prizes, with 5 of the opening 7 still in my hand.

3rd/4th: Matt N. with Metanite
I’m much more confident about this match, since I know he doesn’t play Latios*.

Game 1: I get a great start, he doesn’t get much of anything.

Game 2: He gets out an early Ray EX d, preventing me from playing Beldums liberally. I play 2, having a Metang in my hand. He KO’s one, and in the meantime I set up a Salamence active. I topdeck a Scramble to KO his Ray, and am able to get set up from there. My last few turns went by quickly, doing 100 per turn.

7-2 overall, 3rd place

Props:
Tom for winning
Me for getting 3rd
The excellent turnout
States being close this year

Slops:
The skinny tables
The small room
That opening hand game 3 of top 4

amazing that you beat chris fulop but then again he was playing a rogue deck which was Absol EX/Jolteon ex was it???

amazing that you beat chris fulop but then again he was playing a rogue deck which was Absol EX/Jolteon ex was it???

I wouldn't take Fulop's deck too lightly, it won WA States and did well in other places. And for some reason, I've had more trouble with Tom (0-3 this year) than Fulop (3-3)

Congrats on the 3rd place. That Scramble you top decked really killed me in that second match, but I had tons of fun that day. Maybe next time we meet I'll have another fun surprise or two for all your Sally's...

Back