Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Old-Fashioned Damage Sponge Deck?

yelanates

I'm just wondering if there's a way to make a stall deck like in the old days. used to be Alakazam with Chansey and Pokemon Center. Obviously, none of those cards are still legal, but are there any combos in the current format to make a decent stalling deck? I thoroughly enjoy stalling my opponent to death, but I want to be competitive, too.

wailrod with super scoop up and TM TS2, it has 200 Hp and Super scoop up can bring it back to hand a repeat this, also you can de evolve you opps rare candyed pokemon and you could attack but its not that good, this will really stall alot but you might not get many prizes

Rypereor Also is good the lv.X has 170 Hp and has somewhat good attacks so js7ut use that with super scoo p up too.

wailrod with super scoop up and TM TS2, it has 200 Hp and Super scoop up can bring it back to hand a repeat this, also you can de evolve you opps rare candyed pokemon and you could attack but its not that good, this will really stall alot but you might not get many prizes

Rypereor Also is good the lv.X has 170 Hp and has somewhat good attacks so js7ut use that with super scoo p up too.

The point isn't to get any prizes, it's to deck your opponent.

Regigigas is kind of a stall, but with a punch.

The lv.x has 150 hp (170 with snowpoint), and can heal 80 damage by using its power. (this does give your opponent a prize card, as you have to ko one of your pokemon to use it)

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

The point isn't to get any prizes, it's to deck your opponent.

Sorry to say it, but thats not going to happen in this format. Decks like Kingdra will NEVER deck out.

Last edited:
DathPika is right-- I honestly can't even remember the last time I or an opponent lost by decking out, and I also can't remember reading/hearing about it happening elsewhere in forever either. Winning via stall is almost a lost art, especially in timed tournaments. It is too easy for your opponent to get a few prizes (or even just one if you're completely playing defense the whole game) and then win on time long before they ever deck. Claydol and Kingdra have both already been mentioned as anti-deck cards and it is true that they excel at decking prevention, especially Claydol (which you'll see in virtually every deck). There is also Night Maintenance, Uxie, Team Galactic's Wager, etc..

I used to play back during those days when Chansey/Alakazam/Pokemon Center/Scoop Up/Mr. Fuji/Mr. Mime etc. were legal. However, even then it was not common to deck your opponent out, unless you included Moltres in the mix. The best stall decks also had an offensive component that they could apply, ie. Alakazam decks would attack with Mr. Mime and slowly but surely build up to big Meditates while keeping it alive via its Power and Damage Swap with a Chansey-filled bench. The reason that kind of deck never really could compete in serious play was that it was too easy to Gust of Wind in the Alakazam and take it out, or simply bring in something that had been heavily Swapped to and get a KO on it, only to be repeated via Item Finder/other Gusts enough times to either win on time or simply take 6 prizes. In this format, you don't have any damage swappers anyway (Cresselia lv. X does not count) and even if you did, there are plenty of Pokemon capable of getting OHKOs (Mesprit lv. X, Infernape MD, Rayquaza, Kingdra, etc.), so you need some way to do damage and take prizes while you stall, if you're going to go that route.

All that being said, Rhyperior is intriguing in the same way Moltres used to be if you devote your deck over to it. It is about the only way you are going to even have a chance of decking your opponent. Flygon lv. X from the next set after the one we'll be getting early next year may also interest you.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Oh I forgot about Gyarados SF. That is another way to discard cards from your opponent's deck while also dealing damage. It's flippy, but there may be turns when you get 2+ heads and that combined possibly with Rhyperior and Super Scoop Up could be a fun deck if not a super competitive one.

Last edited:
I was thinking of trying to build a deck that would get prizes or deck my opponent. I planned on an Absol-Girantina X (GC)-Rhyperior combo. This would have me discarding from my opponent's deck/hand as well as him having to do the same thing. Just getting one use out of each Absol elimionates 4-8 cards. Playing the Rhyperiors eliminates 9 (with SSUs it could go as high as 18) and Girantina X says they have to discard in order to attack. That is 13+ cards out of any deck in an era where decks are tight, losing that many cards would be devastating.

Yes, even if you don't deck out your opponent, I can tell you that some good flips on gyrados, etc, that discard even a few cards can be devastating. One heads: there goes a weedle (no biggie, I'll NM him back), Two heads: Oops, there goes the last night maint... *cries*

It can severly impear your opponent, though I really doubt they would deck out (might actually help some like kingdra). Maybe combo these ideas with a slower deck like Ttar and do some deck attacking while building up Ttar/other. Something to think about there...

POKEMAN

Back