Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Old Player Looking for New Info.

ThunderBlast

Hi. I'm an old school Pokemon player looking for info on the current game environment. I've searched around the boards for some info, but I still have a few questions, such as:

What are the current Archetypes?

Is Modified the only competitive format?

What is the rotation of sets in modified?

How is the tournament environment in NC (if you're lucky enough to live in this state)?

I would really like to get back into playing competitively, so I'm trying to dig up as much info as I can about the current environment.

Any other comments or gripes about the current game environment are very much welcome.

:lightning

There are so many current archetypes, it is not possible to list them all. The meta is very diverse now. Some poular decks are Gengar, Machamp, Beedrill, Dialga G, Eeveeolutions, various SP builds, and lots others.

Modifed is essentially the only competitive format. There are some completely broken combos in unlimited that makes it possible to win T1 with an unlimited deck virtually all the time.

Every season about 4 sets go out, plus or minus. No one knows what they will be this year. It could be 2 or it could be 5.

No idea about NC

Prime and Feraligatr are your go-to guys for NC. There are others on here, too, who can point you in the right direction.

FunnyBear got the rest right. Just one note: rotations only happen in September, so one "modified" format is more or less the same for a whole year. Currently DP-On, the announcement for next year should be soon.

Hello fellow-NC'er.

I live in Western NC, and Feraligatr is closer to mid NC. Feraligatr is actually the PTO of NC/SC and runs events in both states. I'm just a player.

Mid-Eastern NC (Greensboro/Raleigh) has a larger group of competitive players. Some SC tournaments are very close to NC, like Greenville and Fort Mill.

Western NC, there are Battle Roads and Cities in Asheville, and some events in Eastern TN that are easily accessible.

Sadly, yes.

Right not Modified is Diamond and Pearl on, sets rotate every Sept 1st.
They have not announced the next rotation yet however.

Hello fellow-NC'er....

Mid-Eastern NC (Greensboro/Raleigh) has a larger group of competitive players. Some SC tournaments are very close to NC, like Greenville and Fort Mill.

Sweet! I'm in the Mid Region of NC. Using the league locater, I was a little worried that the NC Pokemon scene was still pitiful, as it was when I played years ago.

Now, I've got a handle on the tournament environment. Modified is fun, but majority of my card library comes from Neo Destiny and previous sets. And to avoid buying cards that will be removed from modified in a few months I think I'll concern myself with cards from Great Encounters and post sets. The pattern does appear to a removal of at the most 5 sets for each competitive year.

I don't know if this will put me at a disadvantage in tournament play. Most of the archetypes named looked like the were based on cards from GE. Is there any sort of database where I can find the most standard forms of the current archetype decks?

Unless things have changed drastically in my 7 year hiatus from playing, archetypes rule the tournament environment and creative decks don't fair as well, generally. In reading this thread I have become a little concerned, especially when a coin toss can almost guarantee the winner because of turn one wins. What's that all about?

Hi. I'm an old school Pokemon player looking for info on the current game environment. I've searched around the boards for some info, but I still have a few questions, such as:

How is the tournament environment in NC (if you're lucky enough to live in this state)?

I would really like to get back into playing competitively, so I'm trying to dig up as much info as I can about the current environment.

Any other comments or gripes about the current game environment are very much welcome.

Well IDK about Archetypes.

If you mean for Turneys yeahs. However if you want to search Turneys and formats directly you can always go to Go-Pokemon.com.

Rotation has effectavly been cancelled, go to the home page and see.

Ooh I do! Not sure Turneys in my opinion is they are widespread. Mostly around Chaple Hill and Raleigh. Again check Go-Pokemon.com for times dates and locations. Also for Leagues.

~Empolion.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Sweet! I'm in the Mid Region of NC. Using the league locater, I was a little worried that the NC Pokemon scene was still pitiful, as it was when I played years ago.

Hey cool me too. Normally I don't see a lot of Turneys in my area. I go to a League whenever I can.

Last edited:
Best decks are Machamp, Gengar, Flygon, Sp variants, Kingdra, Beedrill, Dialga G/Toxicroak G, Gardevoir/Gallade and much much more.

Best decks are Machamp, Gengar, Flygon, Sp variants, Kingdra, Beedrill, Dialga G/Toxicroak G, Gardevoir/Gallade and much much more.

I'll just assume most of those cards are from GE. It's good that there is a variety of decks people are using. I always hated when there was one deck to rule all others and a mediocre counter to that deck. Things are much more interesting with variety.

I'll just assume most of those cards are from GE. It's good that there is a variety of decks people are using. I always hated when there was one deck to rule all others and a mediocre counter to that deck. Things are much more interesting with variety.

Machamp and Gengar are from SF, Flygon and some SP Pokemon are from RR, Kingdra is from LA, Dialga and Toxicroak G are from Platinum, and Gardevoir and Gallade are from SW.

Hi, I'm kinda near you too. As far as decks go, everybody who has posted before me is correct about what decks are popular.

Yes, it is the only competitive format.

For this year, there is no rotation. It's DP-on. You won't have to worry about that untill next year

The tournament scene depends on where you live. I live in Charlotte and there are not too many events that I can go to. I have to travel to Durham, Greensbro, Fort Mill, Anderson etc... to participate in them. But, I am going to change that. I hope you are near one of those places that has great Pokemon support.
PM me to chat if you like.

Back