Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

"Once During Your Turn"

jazee

Does a Poke Power that says "Once during your turn..." mean you can use it multiple times or only once? If multiple times, then I'd have to say Magmortar X with Torrid Wave is should continue to be a VERY strong card. I swear I searched some archives on other websites and it said you can only use it once though. But there are quite a few cards with Poke Powers that say "Once during your turn" is the verbage treated consistently amongst cards. I really can't believe you could just burn an opponents entire spread of Pokemon with a 30 damage (if they role tails burn). Or it it that it can only be used on the Active pokemon? You can't be burned sitting on the bench. This is a very confusing Poke Power for me. Sorry, I'm a little green to the game.

The other question is, if you a burned via Torrid Wave and role tails, I assume it does 10 damage, not 20, so it is 10 or 30, correct?

"Once during your turn" means you can use the power once every turn unless an effect prevents you from doing so. One-time use powers are ones that say "When you play X from your hand." Those powers can only be used on that turn.

Benched Pokemon can't be affected by Special Conditions. Torrid Wave only affects the active Pokemon.

And yes, Magmortar Lv.X is a great card.

You should put questions like this on the "Ask the Masters" forum.

Thanks. The thing that makes it confusing is that is says "you may choose I of the Defending Pokemon" You don't have a choice if you can only use it on the Active. Wouldn't it be more clear to just say, you can use this power on the "Active Pokemon" ? I know I know, the wording isn't perfect on all the cards. That's when forums like this (and the compendium) come in handy.

The phrase you just quoted is to cover 2-on-2 battles, where there are two active Pokémon and two defending Pokémon. It's a lesser-known format :tongue:

As a general rule, if the card says "Once during your turn," you can only use it once on that turn.

Additionally, the Burn Condition can only be inflicted on the Opponent's active pokemon anyway.

Back