Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

OP changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin89

found here:

http://op.pokemon-tcg.com/tournaments/pdfs/2006-2007_POP_Changes.pdf

Now the Age Group changes aren't really that big. But the premier ranking system is interesting. The top X players with the highest premier rank from each continent will get an invite and a travel award. Which means you will probably have to travel a lot if you want to be in that top X cut.
Which in turn makes me believe Regionals and Nationals will probably (and should be) open tournaments again. (yay for europians.)

Also no LCQ this year. Too bad, but fair.

Discuss.

well I guess if you dont have enough money to travel a lot to get your points up. There is no point in trying to get an invite

*sighs and logs off*

Can I say Holy Crap? Talk about big changes in the game. Too bad the age brackets couldn't change. But still. No more Gym Challenges? Battle Road? Can we all say japanese? Worlds only 56 in each age group? WOW!

Prime said:
Can I say Holy Crap? Talk about big changes in the game. Too bad the age brackets couldn't change. But still. No more Gym Challenges? Battle Road? Can we all say japanese? Worlds only 56 in each age group? WOW!

So, now it's...

11-
12-15
16+

That's what I got, but I'm not entirely sure. Cities, States, and Regionals all counting for an invite? Wow...

Boo. This stinks. I'm quitting. Waaaaaah! :mad: :mad: :mad: :wink:

I don't know about the smaller worlds though. The new structure could disadvantage gegraphically larger countries by consolidating invites into national championships (depending on how many people come from each country). Also, the smaller worlds will probably mean a smaller staff, but also that smaller markets could hold a world championship.

The Battle Road is probably designed as it is to give more markets the chance t hold higher-level events. I can think of several areas that could benefit from such an arrangement.

can we rename this thread "the end of the worlds"

ps - see my post here

i swear they saw this post today, thought it was an amazing idea, and announced the changes an hour later

Shaw broke the format.

Ranking invites means people with money to travel go to worlds, unless I'm missing that there's some kind of cap on how many events can count to your point total. Sux.

As different as it will be, I look forward to the new season. The game can only get better IMHO. Even if this coming season is a dud thanks to the changes, we know PUI will fix the problems and make the next season even better. So, as some might look at this with disapprovement or sadness, I look at these new changes with excitement and I can't wait till the next season starts. I got to go to Nationals this year and if next year's Nationals is much bigger to accomodate for Worlds being smaller, then I will be very happy.

I will wait and see what happens at Nationals and this tournament season. Previous Worlds and the STSs were truly special events. Hopefully, while participation at Worlds will become more exclusive, the event will still be special for other non-participants such as side-events.

Ok, I have decided I will accept these changes on one condition.

I want a promo system like Japan.

Japan awards its players with a line of very nice promos, which we normally get thrown into a set. This is bad for many reasons.

#1 Promos are not good deck cards. Look at Champ Arena and Tropical Wind. Ever seen any of those played? No. Because of this, when you throw them into a set, many people don't want the set. A good portion of people who buy cards are players. If the set has nothing good, they won't want the set. This cuts into revenue.

#2 It gives us a great reason to go to events and play. Right now when we go to a tournament, if we don't win we probably don't get much. Maybe we get the same crap promo everyone gets handed, and a pin, the combination of which will get you $5 and good feedback on eBay. Now, if good results at tournaments got us points toward promos - then things might change. For example, every win gets you a point. When you get 10 wins you get card X, when you get 25 wins, you get card XX, when you get 100 wins you get Super Card X^2. Like the Player's Promo Mew ex and Celebi ex - very hard to obtain - very high in demand. America shouldn't have to miss out on these good cards. Also, SLEEVES. Pokemon could make so much money selling sleeves, or giving them away as part of the Player's Promo program would again increase attendance. I know a lot of people who don't go to Cities, but if they saw they could earn points to the cool sleeve packs (that I am charging $25 a piece for), this might change their mind.

So, in summary, OK, take away my vacation, but give me more Pokemon stuff !

PS - Steve, how many people are going to make the trip to Worlds with no chance of grinding in, and knowing there will be less than 200 people playing? Nationals will be the big trip event, I think they should make it somewhere more vacation oriented than Ohio.

PPS - Bolt, AGAIN ! And I agree about the traveling thing, I am hoping a PUI rep will comment on that one because it seems like it is a valid and worrying question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back