Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Opinions on these cards...

Peachyoto

Alright well I am just trying to think that since we don't have PETM yet, what would be a good way of getting evolved Pokemon EX out in a timely and consistant (if possible) manner. Besides the obvious Magcargo, Furret, Jirachi, and Pidgeot search power. Wally's is a good way but hurts getting your supporting Pokemon out. I have been hesitant to play EXs because of this reason. So basically I want some opinions on these cards:

Pokedex Handy 909 - So this card probably isn't a great choice. You don't get to draw with it, but it does help speed up getting it out. I would say this card could be useful but definately not in an abundance.

Master Ball - Probably the best choice out of these but still has it's disadvantages.

PokeNav - Just like Master Ball but only the top 3, but it also lets you take an Energy instead and order the other 2 cards. Not as useful as Master Ball in this case though.

Pokeball - definately the best non-supporter Pokemon search card... well at least until you see that it's a flip. =/ This card seems like it could be useful but rather inconsistant.

Any other ideas, or cards I missed to get EXs out?

Last edited:
Great ball doesn't work for EX, and I really prefer Dual ball over this.

Your best bet is Master ball, which is a good card.

Sorry, I fixed it. I meant Master Ball not Great Ball.

Dual ball is good for basic EXs, but I said getting out evolved EXs.

Pokedex Handy 909 - Won't get you an EX at the turn you play it, though you can lay a steven on top to draw 2 EX's, or something useful

Master Ball - fetch's you a poke, if you're playing +5 EX's (or too much supporters), i would recommend this

PokeNav - is way too inconsistant, unless you play 59 EX's, but is a good deck-thinner

Pokeball - awesome, but requires a flip...

so since my coin flipping is.. nvr mind
I'd go with Handy909 or Masterball

masterball, or the obvious powers lol. since PETM isnt out yet, and i dont use more than 1-2 evolved Ex in any deck, i like basic ones much more, i use the tried and true method of pidgeot/magcargo, they are devastating in unison, 1 card you need now, 1 card for next turn.(i know you dont want to use powers, but pokeball is the only other thing i can recomend to ya.)

I consider Masterball a 100% waste of space. Most of the time when you masterball, you're not looking for any ol pokemon, youre looking for that EX or Evo you play 2 of. When you play it you're trying to get something that there's 2 of, in the top 7 cards, out of a 30+ card deck? even if you're looking for a card you max out on (Dunsparce), THE PROBABILITY IS STILL SGAINST YOU IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 28 CARDS IN YOUR DECK (which you normally do). When you play Masterball, you're simply trying to get lucky, and that's something good players try to stay away from.

I couldn't state that better than bigchuck just did, that is very very true, master ball is a big chance if you ask me, and its very risky because again you run the risk of not seeing any pokemon there at all!

Tom

I'll be like Chuck and state this as a fact even though it's merely an opinion. Masterball is not 100% a waste of space. Being able to play a steven's advice or tv reporter and also play the masterball and go get a pokemon, it's really good. There isn't another trainer in the game that can go get an evolution ex and a basic. Celio doesn't get EX's, even Prof. Elm's Training method doesn't get basics. Dual ball only gets basics. I've tried it out with DragTrode and Zapdos both work great with it. People just are playing the exact same trainer engines in all their decks. No wonder masterball sees no play, there is no creativity in today's trainer engine. That's all fact. /chuck

Then prime hits a great point, creativity and there are ways of making master ball very useful and it can rise to be better than celio's network if used right besides i've tested this card to be great if its in a deck with macargo so you can search for that pokemon and play master ball and then you can still play your turn's supporter!

Man Master Ball Can Be Great

Tom

In that case it looks like the most reliable searcher is wally, since it's guarenteed, the problem is you're going to need a searcher for the stage one if it's a stage 2 ex.

Masterball = a little less than 50% chance to get the pokemon you're looking for, and this is assuming you play 3 of it. If you play 4, its slightly ABOVE 50%, but I don't think any legit deck maxes out on an EX pokemon. (I think it's safe to assume your deck is also more than 30 cards when you use it early to get setup, even midgame you have more than 30 cards and thats when you should already be set up!)

Pokeball = ALWAYS 50% chance to get ANY pokemon

Simple math shows that Pokeball > Masterball
Common sense shows that Pokeball is garbage
If Pokeball is garbage, and Masterball is WORSE than garbage...

Okay, Masterball isn't successful when trying to get 1 pokemon. Who searches for just 1 pokemon when setting up? DragTrode sets up 3 pokemon, same with many decks, in which the odds of drawing one of those pokemon is much higher than 50%. Add on that you can then use Celio to get the other pokemon, Masterball is so useful.

Also, if Masterball faisl to get the pokemon you wanted, atleast you have now shuffled your deck and increased your chances of moving up a better card to the top. Eh, Masterball is OK at the most, I have experimented with it, and it is fun to Masterball, then Celio (or any other supporter), but in the end, it just didn't seem to get the job done.

Besides you can smooth over with macargo and GUARANTEE your pokemon that you want...im suprised no one ever thought of that because i used that in the prerelease!

Tom

Tommy's Back said:
Besides you can smooth over with macargo and GUARANTEE your pokemon that you want...im suprised no one ever thought of that because i used that in the prerelease!

Tom

Haha, omg your right. All I've done is Catty/Cargo and TVR/Cargo

Back