Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Palmer/Volkner

After watching so much anime, you start to realize that many characters look familiar. Usually because there's a particular personality or a particular outward look that is trying to be conveyed. Also, character designs in anime are sometimes "typecasted".

Or who knows, maybe Ken Sugimori draws from all sorts of influences (he does turn animals and concepts into Pokemon).

Yeah every one looks alike in anime...with the exception of dragonball Z...I cant think of any Goku Look alikes...

Yeah every one looks alike in anime...with the exception of dragonball Z...I cant think of any Goku Look alikes...

No one wanted to repeat that mistake again. Though I'll have you know that Naruto was based After him. Hence the reason he has that orange jumpsuit and his wacky attitude.

Yeah, because Toriyama more or less quit drawing for anime and manga.

If you want to see some Dragonball lookalikes, go check out the anime cutscenes from the PS1 Chrono Trigger remake and Dragon Quest VIII.

Only Toriyama does Toriyama, he has a very unique style which (thankfully) nobody professional tries to copycat.

Yeah, because Toriyama more or less quit drawing for anime and manga.

If you want to see some Dragonball lookalikes, go check out the anime cutscenes from the PS1 Chrono Trigger remake and Dragon Quest VIII.

Only Toriyama does Toriyama, he has a very unique style which (thankfully) nobody professional tries to copycat.

I believe that most of the DQ series was either drawn by or inspired by Toriyama, as was much of the Chrono series.

The animated sequences in Chrono Cross weren't done by Toriyama? The first time I saw some of them, I thought somebody had dropped a vat of paint over an episode of DBZ. Chrono looked like a redhaired Goku. I could've SWORN I saw Vageta at least once, and Freeza and Cell were all over the place, not to mention Piccolo. :tongue:

Basically, there are a lot of anime archetypes in terms of both character and description, though not always the same character to the same description...

I believe that most of the DQ series was either drawn by or inspired by Toriyama, as was much of the Chrono series.

Indeed, I believe Toriyama is the main...designer? I guess you would say for the characters in the DQ series and Chrono Trigger. He also did Blue Dragon, which was another Squenix game out there.

I think Palmer looks like Cloud Strife in his late 40's XD

We sold a Dawn x Volkner poster at Anime Expo and everyone stopped saying "...who is that, the 4th hokage?" No one knew who Volkner was!! >_<

The animated sequences in Chrono Cross weren't done by Toriyama?

You're thinking of the Chrono Cross PSX / PSP remake. The movies in Chronon Cross were 3D CGI, like Final Fantasy games...

The guy who did the art from Chrono Cross was Nobuteru Yuki - the same guy who designed the characters / art for The Vision of Escaflowne.

And yeah thank God no one draws like Toriyama.... -_- He's got sum anatomy skills yes, but his style is just so ugly... not to mention his women like look men in drag. Then again I could be biased. I like art styles like Aoi Nanase (Angel Dust)

I think Palmer looks like Cloud Strife in his late 40's XD

We sold a Dawn x Volkner poster at Anime Expo and everyone stopped saying "...who is that, the 4th hokage?" No one knew who Volkner was!! >_<
Crazy shippers :p

Hm, are there lots of Pokemon illustrations at the AX Artist Alley? Maybe I'll look around next time. lol Never really walked through it except when forced to at Long Beach :p Although, not sure if I care for art of shipping...

It wasn't really a 'shippy' piece:

http://spoofeepandah.deviantart.com/art/Dawn-X-Volkner-128510464

just showed them together. But be warned! A Dawn X Volkner doujin is probably coming for next year! If we have time to make it (lite romance, no ecchi / hentai we don't draw that).

But yeah there was some Pokemon stuff at the Artist Alley, but not too much. I would say though that there was far more Pokemon art there than I'd seen at AX before. Pokemon is starting to lose its bad rep as 'not real anime' and ppl are starting to see it as 'retro' and cool. There was a nice pic behind us of Sephiroth skewering a Mudkip, in which Sephiroth was saying 'you heard wrong'. Also there was an amazing artist that did all the female trainers with their pokemon in a fairytale setting. I.E. Dawn was dressed as Alice from Alice in Wonderland and had Piplup and Buneary around her... can't remember what May was, I think little red riding hood, and had torchic and her other pokemon around her. Misty was the lil mermaid with starmie and psyduck... And (not art but...) there was an awesome dude cosplaying as a mudkip CARD XD.

Back