Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Plasma Chandelure and Plasma Triad Revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
These eevee seem to exist specifically to counter certain cards in the format. Shame the Espeon looks nearly useless.

Yeah, Espeon would likely be replaced by Deoxys who is the much better psychic tech in a plasma build.

I am really psyched for this though!! I'm glad I got my plasma balls when I did cause they're shooting up in price now.

Shadow Triad is broken. Like, insanely broken. Getting you Supporters out of the discard warrants its own card (VS Seeker) let alone getting Pokemon, Special Energy, Trainers and Stadiums too. Rediculous.

Chandelure is a weird one though. Energy accel out of the deck is absolutely amazing. But, the added damage can be really bad in a metagame where you need eviolited big basics to avoid 2HKO/1HKOs, fire is going to be pressured as long as Blastoise is around, and there aren't many good partners for it that wouldnt prefer a different accelerator. Reshiram was once used with a similair accelerator, but unfrotunately, Chandelure is actually worse off for Reshiram because it discards energy. I still think it'll be usable, and it has that nice Promo Litwick available and good Lampent, i just don't see it being that good.

Eevelutions are all just ok. The +20 plasma Pokes one could be super useful, as could the -2 retreat really. Decent stuff, but not amazing.

Shadow Triad is broken. Like, insanely broken. Getting you Supporters out of the discard warrants its own card (VS Seeker) let alone getting Pokemon, Special Energy, Trainers and Stadiums too. Rediculous.

My initial feeling is that Shadow Triad is Skyla's dark brother. if it weren't a Supporter, it would be ridiculously powerful; instead, it's "toned down" not just because it occupies the Supporter slot for one's turn, but because of Skyla's presence. These Supporters are good, but it's not feasible to run Skyla and Shadow Triad in the same deck (at least not in large numbers). For Plasma-themed decks, I can see a lot of reliance on Shadow Triad mid to late-game. As far as it being "insanely broken," I'm not seeing it. I can be wrong though!

One thing I'd like to mention at this point in the game's history though. Shadow Triad, even though it grabs Plasma cards, isn't completely owned by Plasma-themed decks. Players who were around during the SP mechanic should greatly appreciate this. Also, Plasma Badge will exist for those wanting to take full advantage of the Plasma cards like Colress Machine.

Seems like the card designers finally learned their lesson on this one.

The Chandelure is pretty cool. Reminds me of Typhlosion Prime. It'll see play if Keldeo were to flop somehow.

Shadow Triad is ninja love. The main application (and most obvious one at that) is Lugia variants; Just another way to get
Plasma Energy outta the discard pile given that Lugia EX flaunts Plasma Energy.

I love the Eeveelutions. Umbreon and Glaceon are just plain fantabulous IMO. Thet are just begging to be plain with Lugia
and Articuno EX. Lugia EX with Umbreon, Giant Cape, and Aspertia Gym = 240hp. Or put Glaceon in a Blastoise deck with Lugia
giving the latter no Retreat Cost.

Chandelure I think is applicable, again, to Lugia EX. Chandelure's lower Retreat Cost makes it a smidge more usable than Emboar IMO.
And the fact the that you search for Energy makes Cilan less necessary. Anyway how it could work with Lugia is this: Flare Nav for
one Energy, Colress Machine for Plasma Energy, attach DCE for turn, Plasma Gale. Of course you'd require all the necessary cards
but this is all conjecture.

All in all, I'd say Plasma cards are gonna be Broken with a capital 'B'. And I'm not sure whether that's good or bad...:confused::nonono:

Chandelure is a potential future partner for Ray EX if the rotation takes Eels.

Also, Umbreon seems to stack? Would make Lugia's HP increase to incredible numbers.

Chandy is basically a fire reprint of RS Gardy. And that's a good thing. I've been missing that type of nrg accel since Gardy rotated. This is gonna be fun!

As far as shadow triad, its good, gamebreaking even. I don't know what I'd play it in, tho.

My initial feeling is that Shadow Triad is Skyla's dark brother. if it weren't a Supporter, it would be ridiculously powerful; instead, it's "toned down" not just because it occupies the Supporter slot for one's turn, but because of Skyla's presence. These Supporters are good, but it's not feasible to run Skyla and Shadow Triad in the same deck (at least not in large numbers). For Plasma-themed decks, I can see a lot of reliance on Shadow Triad mid to late-game. As far as it being "insanely broken," I'm not seeing it. I can be wrong though!

One thing I'd like to mention at this point in the game's history though. Shadow Triad, even though it grabs Plasma cards, isn't completely owned by Plasma-themed decks. Players who were around during the SP mechanic should greatly appreciate this. Also, Plasma Badge will exist for those wanting to take full advantage of the Plasma cards like Colress Machine.

Seems like the card designers finally learned their lesson on this one.

While i still think its a great card, consdier that since its the ONLY card revealed without a picture, i may or may not have glanced over "supporter". Which without, it was broken. Being a supporter, its just pretty good. This is the first card that makes me think that Magnezone could be usable.

Wondering if Eeveelutions/Vileplume could be playable. Jolteon doing 160+no attacking to a Tornadus or Lugia could be pretty awesome. Leafeon is a HARD Keldeo counter with Vileplume, too. 80x the number of energy attached... ouch. XD It's difficult to see, but I don't see anything on Umbreon about its Ability not stacking, so you could have a 160 HP MONSTER out there that'll still only give up one prize.

Devolution Spray and Blend Energy will be AMAZING for the Eeveelutions. Think it's an Umbreon? NOPE, Leafeon. (Pff, why can't I remember you have to wait a turn?! This is why I don't run Devo decks... BTS PLEAZ) The fact that they can abuse the Plasma engine is even better... I'm just sad that Espeon doesn't apply Weakness. Being able to do 160 to a Mewtwo with a single energy would have been great.

Last edited:
It's cute, but thanks to having to wait a turn, it's not gonna happen.

Agreeing with this. If you didnt have to wait a turn, that'd be one thing. But the only surprise factors can come from Eevee, and if you stack too many energy on its, it'll be easily killed off. However, Ditto will be very nice for this kind of deck, because Eeveelutions alwasy struggle with just 4 copies of main basic being very vulnerable to being picked off. And it will let you Super Rod in Eevees and evolve through that stage, so its not as much at risk.

Good thing most of the Eevees only need 2 energy to attack, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back