Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Players That Move? Strange Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOYBOX

Awhile ago, something odd caught my attention and I was super curious as to how this would be dealt with. Let's say I live in the US(which I do), and I play Pokemon, have a Pop Id, and have played in tournaments and won a few here and there. Then maybe sometime in the future, I move to a different country where there is also OP like Japan, France, etc. If I went to Worlds and played, would it list me as a native of the country I currently reside in? Like, if I had moved to Japan, would my match slip say my name, and then JP?

I think you would be considered to be from the country that you are a citizen of. In the rules for different nats on go-pokemon.com, it says that you can only take part if you are a citizen. What if you just moved to a country, but you are not a citizen yet. Would you be allowed to take part in nats there?

Legal residency is required, not citizenship. Read the rules again.

Considering this is the standard applied to National Championship entry, I would wager that your current country of residence would be the country you represent at Worlds.

Considering this is the standard applied to National Championship entry, I would wager that your current country of residence would be the country you represent at Worlds.
Yeah, and if the "timing" is bad (don't get legal residency in time for Worlds yet you played most of the season there), that can "bite" -- unless you call TPCi and can get a waiver or something.

I would assume that there are some exceptions to that rule. There aren't many, but there are some.

Drew

So, if I moved from the USA to the UK/JP/FR, etc. obtained citizenship/residency, whatnot, I'd be representing that country at Worlds?

So, if I moved from the USA to the UK/JP/FR, etc. obtained citizenship/residency, whatnot, I'd be representing that country at Worlds?
Yup. But, I don't know what it takes to earn residency, for POP's purposes.

For colleges/universities, residency can happen in a number of ways. If you're a dependant of a military person, in-state residency at a college/university can sometimes happen immediately.

Bottom line - contact TPCi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back