Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Playstation Network World Wide Shutdown

The King Of Magikarps

It has been down since last the 20th of April and was caused a group of hackers.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/22/update-on-playstation-network-qriocity-services/

"An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share. "

Quoted from link posted. Also here is the latest from Sony: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/23/latest-update-for-psnqriocity-services/

"We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.

We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available."

Quoted from link posted.

You can blame all the people who are hacking and pirating for this massive issue.

That's not the case. Sony sued a group of people for making a new hack for the PS3 and then releasing it. Anonymous, like you said hacked them by DDosing their servers. They 'say' they stopped doing the DDosing of the PSN so players could play online. A new group called SonyOps and SonyRecon took over by making personal attacks to the CO and related people of Sony and DDosing and LOICing the servers.

As far as I can tell, they will be offline for a while. Then again, thats what Sony gets for telling people how to use their stuff.

Back in the day when PS1 came out, all one had to do was go rent a game from Blockbuster/Hollywood for like $3.00, take it home, burn the game onto a blank cd- return the game-and by-pass paying the full amount at the store for the game
This does not suprise me in the least. Sony tries to hard to push product out there onto the market to compete, yet they do not think thorough enough about the security of it's own future.
You would think that a company that deals in electronic devices would be more precautious with the products they make when it comes to things like this.

Then again, thats what Sony gets for telling people how to use their stuff.

Sony can tell you how to use their product as it is stated in the TOU that no one reads. All game companies can and do tell you what you can do and what you can't do.

TOU -
"By accepting this Agreement, you agree to its terms and to abide by SNEA's Sony Online Services policies. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly use Sony Online Services (i) in any way for any commercial purpose, (ii) in any way that violates the law or the Community Code of Conduct, or (iii) in any way that harms or has the potential to harm SNEA, its affiliates, including its parent company, its subsidiaries, licensors, providers; partners of SNEA or its affiliates; or fellow Sony Online Services users. You agree that you will not use any unauthorized hardware, including peripherals not sold or licensed by a Sony company such as non-licensed game enhancement devices, controllers, adaptors and power supply devices (collectively, "Non-Licensed Peripherals") or unauthorized software to access or use Sony Online Services or any content or service provided on or through Sony Online Services."

From Section 2: Community Code of Conduct -
" ■You may not use, make, or distribute unauthorized software or hardware, including Non-Licensed Peripherals and cheat code software or devices that circumvent any security features or limitations included on any software or devices, in conjunction with Sony Online Services, or take or use any data from Sony Online Services to design, develop or update such unauthorized software or hardware.
■You may not modify or attempt to modify the online client, disc, save file, server, client-server communication, or other parts of any game title, or content.
You may not cause disruption to or modify or damage any account, system, hardware, software, or network connected to or provided by Sony Online Services for any reason, including for the purpose of gaining an unfair advantage in a game.
You may not attempt to hack or reverse engineer any code or equipment in connection with Sony Online Services."

From http://legaldoc.dl.playstation.net/ps3-eula/psn/u/u_tosua_en.html

As you can read they CAN tell you what you can and can't do with theirr product.

Wall of text.

Yeah. I know about all of that but like everyone else, we don't care. I've been modding my systems, games and other stuff for some years now and have been shairing things I made.

Sure the company is going to stop what they can, but the fact it jailbreaking is not illegal. Apple tried to sue and lost because the comsumer has the right to mod. If its not used to pirate, its fair game. Sony's case is that they did sue. Take a look at Nintendo. They remove hacks with update, which Sony can do but they are lazy and would rather sue because they don't want to work.

Needless to say, I payed 400 bucks for my PS3 and I'll do what I want with that because 3 weeks of my work life went to pay for it.

---------- Post added 04/27/2011 at 11:00 PM ----------

All I know is I wish I could log on to at least change out my password...just in case...

they said when the servers are back that everyone change their passwords and remove and personal and card information.

I remember this was one of the many reasons I didn't get a PS3.

I wish everyone luck to those who have PS3's that nothing bad will happen to them.

Knocking on wood here, but I haven't had any problems, though that could be because I used PSN to buy like on game lol. And that was over a year ago come to think of it...

Back in the day when PS1 came out, all one had to do was go rent a game from Blockbuster/Hollywood for like $3.00, take it home, burn the game onto a blank cd- return the game-and by-pass paying the full amount at the store for the game
This does not suprise me in the least. Sony tries to hard to push product out there onto the market to compete, yet they do not think thorough enough about the security of it's own future.
You would think that a company that deals in electronic devices would be more precautious with the products they make when it comes to things like this.

Er, no? Even with the PS1 you still had to have a modchip of some sort, though you could get plugin mods that used the parallel port in the back of the PS1 very easily.

Er, no? Even with the PS1 you still had to have a modchip of some sort, though you could get plugin mods that used the parallel port in the back of the PS1 very easily.

And we all know that that is illegal.

---------- Post added 05/02/2011 at 11:09 PM ----------

Sony did announce that they will be giving back to the community via special offers and such:
"Complimentary Offering and “Welcome Back” Appreciation Program
While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region.

The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity “Welcome Back” program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company’s appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.

Central components of the “Welcome Back” program will include:

•Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
•All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
•Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.
Additional “Welcome Back” entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions. "

From: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-qriocity-services-to-be-available-this-week/

Thus, my intentions of NOT stateing how the process was done, but the basics with an end result to NOT have to pay full price of the game. Sony was aware that things like that were available to the public, and still took the risk anywyas in hopes that Computer savvy people did not exploit the systems weaknesses, as it is easy to tranfer the data/programming to a cd then it was to make a full cartridge like the ones Nintendo used for the N64 to make it harder for hackers to make copies so quick and easy.

And we all know that that is illegal.

---------- Post added 05/02/2011 at 11:09 PM ----------

Sony did announce that they will be giving back to the community via special offers and such:
"Complimentary Offering and “Welcome Back” Appreciation Program
While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region.

The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity “Welcome Back” program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company’s appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.

Central components of the “Welcome Back” program will include:

•Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
•All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
•Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.
Additional “Welcome Back” entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions. "

From: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-qriocity-services-to-be-available-this-week/
Well at least they're making amends, which is good. Can't imagine all those who did have their credit card info stolen and used are too happy (as this is kinda inadequate), but for those like me who were fortunate to only be annoyed by not being able to get online, I like it.

Back