Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Please Lock/Delete!

SuperWooper

Q. If my Muk-EX is active and gets KO'd by an opponent's attack, and I have a Lanturn with the power "Energy Grounding" on the bench, can I then use Energy Grounding to take an energy card from Muk-EX and attach to Lanturn?
A. At the point at which Muk-EX is recognized as being KO'd, it's Toxic Gas power is no longer in effect. Therefore, Lanturn's Energy Grounding would be able to be used at that point. (Jul 29, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. When a Pokémon that Cessation Crystal is attached to is Knocked Out, can I move basic Energy cards attached to that Pokémon to Lanturn using its Poké-Power "Energy Grounding"?
A. No, you cannot. The effect of Cessation Crystal goes away at the same time when the KO'd Pokémon gets discarded. At that point, Lanturn cannot retreive any Energy from that Pokemon. (Oct 12, 2006 PUI Rules Team)

The difference in the rulings is the "recognized as being KO'd" clause. But what's the difference. Are we supposed to assume that if the Pokemon with Cessation Crystal is recognized as being KO'd, then the tool stays on the field for two seconds longer and stops Energy Grounding from going off? Can anyone make sense of this for me?

Last edited:
Basically, Muk ex's (or any other shutdown pokemon - Medicham ex applies too) body turns off the moment the pokemon is "flagged" as being knocked out. Other powers turn on the moment they're able to.

The Cessation Crystal, however, doesn't care if the pokemon it's attached to is conscious or not. Even after the KO, the pokemon isn't discarded until all effects have resolved - which means Energy Grounding tries to trigger but gets disabled to C.Crystal. THEN the pokemon with C.Crystal gets discarded, along with the C.Crystal, and powers reactivate.

Basically, Muk ex's (or any other shutdown pokemon - Medicham ex applies too) body turns off the moment the pokemon is "flagged" as being knocked out. Other powers turn on the moment they're able to.

The Cessation Crystal, however, doesn't care if the pokemon it's attached to is conscious or not. Even after the KO, the pokemon isn't discarded until all effects have resolved - which means Energy Grounding tries to trigger but gets disabled to C.Crystal. THEN the pokemon with C.Crystal gets discarded, along with the C.Crystal, and powers reactivate.

Good explanation! I can better understand the logic behind these two rulings now. Thanks.

Back