Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

PlusPower -vs- Strenght Charm

dschorre

PlusPower reads:

"Attach PlusPower to 1 of your Pokemon. Discard this card at the end of your turn. If the Pokemon PlusPower is attached to attacks, the attack does 10 more damage to the Active Pokemon (before applying Weakness and Resistance)."

Strenght Charm reads:

"Whenever an attack from the Pokémon that Strength Charm is attached to does damage to the Active Pokémon, the attack does 10 more damage (before applying Weakness and Resistance). Discard Strength Charm at the end of the turn in which this Pokémon attacks."

What is the advantage of using strenght charm in your deck rather than PowerPlus?

You would use Strength Charm because you can use Castaway to search your deck to get it, and you can't do that with PlusPower.

Well, and Lapras and Mawile also can get it out.

Another, albeit minor, advantage to Strength Charm is that it can stay on your Pokemon until you do an attack. You always have to discard PlusPower after the turn in which you use it. This is helpful, for example, if you don't need the extra ten this turn but want to get the maximum effect from Prof. Birch or a similar card.

Last edited:
the only advantage pluspower has is being stackable, i ususally only use 1 strength charm for searchabiltity, and if i need more i use pluspowers or jolteon * which is also searchable

leaving sc out is pointless you might as well just use it when you don't need it if your trying to get cards out of your hand people play windstorms i know they see less play with pachi but i haven't taken them out of my decks sooo...

PLUSPOWER
Advantages:
Stackable

Disadvantage:
Not Searchable
Use it the turn you play it
Can be discarded by an absol

STRENGHT CHARM
Advantages:
Searchable (With Castaway)
Use it when you attack, not when you play it

Disadvantages:
As a Pokémon Tool you have 2 disadvantages:
1) If you keep it in play until you use it Windstorm, Pachirisu, and other stuff can blow it out
2) You cant attach 2 Tools
Not Stackable

In my opinion the best choice is

2 PlusPower
1 Str Chrm
1 Buffer Piece

or

2 Castaway
2 Str Chrm

Lol it's not like you have to attach charms, the fact that charms even have a CHANCE to stay on for longer than a turn makes them superior.

also, plus power augment self-damage as well

PLUSPOWER
Advantages:
Stackable

Disadvantage:
Not Searchable
Use it the turn you play it
Can be discarded by an absol

A Strength Charm can also be discarded by an Absol. So, not sure why you list this only for PlusPower.
It would also trigger the second card discard.

Charm= Searchable
Pluspower= Stackable
I personally like Pluspower better because sometimes you need more than just 10 extra damage. Sometimes you 20 or 30 therefore, since Pluspower is stackable, it is more useful to me.

Usually I use either 3 Pluspower, 1 or 2 charms, and 1 or 2 Castaway OR, if I don't need the castaways, I'll just go for 3 or 4 Pluspowers and 1or2 charms. imo: Pluspower>Charm

I only add in Strength Charm if I have the means to search for it. Usually, my decks have a steady damage output anyway, so I dont have to rely on multiple pluspowers to kill something early on (while Blissey, for example, appreciates any extra help it can get). Strength Charm can be just enough to turn that 3HKO you have on Gallade into a 2HKO, turn that 2HKO on Lucario into an OHKO, etc etc.

plus power always seemed to be more of a speed deck tool, where they're tossing out any trainers they can, they're stackability in a deck of that nature is great.

strength charms are more of a utility one might use if they know they need that extra 10 damage, generally things that do 100 or 120 damage might need that extra 10 damage to hit those bench mark numbers (popular pokemon tend to have 110 or 130 hp) That's why they're searchable.

Strength Charm. If you happen to have a lot of space in your deck, then 2 Strength Charm and about 4 Plus Power.

Personally pluspower is better than strenghtchamr because it is stackable. Playing 1 strenght charm and 4 PP is the best way if you have space, as flygon said.

If I'm running Castaway then I'll generally add a single strength charm before adding a single plus power. The exception being if the strategy intention is to have cessation lock.

Which fits best depends upon the rest of the deck and how much space you have to fit either card in. Neither one is actually inherently better or worse than the other.

It's all a matter of leading your opponent down a false path.

If your play castaway at some point and pluspower at some point but zero strength charms, your opponent may likely assume there is a 'charm to be pulled, as it is normal to include strength charm instead of pluspower with castaway. Bt if you just played the strength charm, they might think that there were no more.

If you use pluspower, your opponent may deduce you have used it instead of strength charm because of an alternative strategy such as cessation crystal or amulet coin etc. You can deter certain tactics when you actually have no threat at all.

Back