Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokémon booster draft help.

Punpun

I have some questions regarding booster draft format for the Pokémon tcg:

1. Most sources call for six boosters for each participant, but this seems like quite a lot. Is it possible to draft with five or four? Has anyone had good/bad experiences in doing this?

2. What is generally a good energy to Pokémon/Trainer ratio when drafting? Is there a general average number that is used, or is this number hugely different from deck to deck?

3. Where would be a good place to purchase basic Darkness and basic Metal energy cards (approx. 100 of each) for use in draft?

Answers to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

First of all Are you talking about Limited: Booster Draft? Not many people do those any more.. Versus Limited: Sealed Constructed.

Booster Draft: You pass the cards around the table (open pack keep one and pass until there are no cards left)
Sealed: you keep the cards you get (like at a pre release.)

I am going to assume you are meaning limited constructed ie Pre release)

To start off you get 6 packs (why would you want to get less YOU ARE PAYING $25 don't you want you moneys worth?)

May I remind you you don't have to draft (play with) all your cards (that you get).
This test your ability at deck building. I suggest when you open your packs make different piles of the cards you get by the type of pokemon (ie grass, fire, ground ect).

I suggest Playing with a pokemon type you have a lot of, or have a strong line of, (you have many of the evolution line) Play with any relevant trainers. Do not play trainers that don't help you ( I did this once, bad idea) You may not pull many trainers so trainer ratio is usually very small in sealed.

Best thing go with up to 2 pokemon types plus normal pokemon since they can use any energy to attack. Make sure you put a lot of basic pokemon, and maybe other pokemon that have colorless attacks or use the same type of energy you are using (like the Marshtomp that using fighting Energy)

How Many Energy to run: Depends on what you pull I usually run 18ish in draft. anything less than 15 in draft is really risky unless you have a lot of draw power and anything over 24 energies is usually too much.

Dark and Metal Energies: They are pretty hard to find if you want 100 of each good luck. That's gonna cost you a lot of money. Dark Energies come in Torterra Theme Decks and Metals come in Empoleon The Decks

Please note when you go to a Pre Relase, the Tournament organizer will loan you energies to use for the event. Most likely if you are playing dark and or metal they will be proxied by the tournament organizer. Also you play with a 40 card deck with 4 prizes out. You also can not play with the pre release promo card they give you. You also can not play with any other cards you may have on you. The tournament organizer most of the time expects the energies back that they loaned you at the end of the event.

Last edited:
BANGINBOX runs 3 pack drafts, 30 card decks every week, with 1 PPP in the prize pool. 6 is standard, 5 is a little low for 40 cards.

6 packs is the best.

There is no ratio. When you open a pack and see a Trainer, that bubbles up to the top of the must take list. You then check to see what Pokémon would go into your deck. The only ratio i recommend is you make your deck with 20 cards drafted and 20 energies. Adjust to what you pulled.

Basic Dark & Metal - $1. The Head Judge gets a Sharpie, puts an "M" on an energy type you have plenty of and that is Basic Metal. THen a "D" on an energy type you have plenty of and that is Basic Dark.

We run plenty of them after the main Prerelease events.

Back