Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokémon Mighty Beanz!

BJJ763

Trading Mod Supervisor
Staff member
Trader Feedback Mod
Forced to go to Wal-Mart today. So i walked around and found Pokémon Advanced Mighty Beanz. So i bought a bunch. Here's what is in the set:

Common Rare Ultra Rare

Pikachu
Pichu
Raichu
Igglybuff
Jigglypuff
Wigglytuff
Azurill
Marill
Azumarill
Geodude
Graveler
Golem
Mudkip
Marshomp
Swampert
Torchic
Combusken
Blaziken
Treecko
Grovyle
Sceptile
Shuppett
Banette
Psyduck
Golduck
Wynaut
Wobuffet
Duskull
Dusclops
Poochyehna
Mightyena
Ash
Brock
Jesse
James
Cacnea
Groudon
Kyogre
Donphan
Phanpy
Ninjask
Sableye
Baltoy
Beautifly
Corphish
Electrike
Makuhita
Hariyama
Claydol
Nosepass
Absol
Seviper
Zigzagoon
Shiftry
Nuzleaf
Latios
Latias

No clue why Phanpy is listed as a Rare while Donphan is a common. And some of those other Rares? Haven't opened any of the packages yet (boys don't know i got them).

Mighty Beanz...

*whacks forehead off desk a few times*

I've seen the Marvel ones in the shop and I just, simply, do not get it. What are they? Is that all they do; roll around??? Collectible, granted, but still; from the experience I've had with them, there seem to be so many better things to collect.

Like I said, my only experience is with the Marvel ones and, even though I loathe the whole superhero comic genre, even I was disgusted at how atrociously deformed the characters looked when capsulized. Has anyone seen the Marvel ones? Check out Mr. Fantastic! They just look woeful.

Please, someone, either explain Mighty Beanz to me or put me out of my misery.

My wife bought a package of them for the younger one's Easter Basket.

I don't get the point of Beanz either, but he get's at least a Pikachu, so he'll be happy.

Don't think it's like Crazy Bones. These are capsules (take any cold capsule, super size it then super size it again). I know they sell a track for them but have really no clue what they do. You can race them down the track but if you don't have the track.... They roll because they have a ball in them that forces them to roll the oblong way.

Hey this got more hits than i expected.....

So...what makes them so valuable/collectible? Because they say they're valuable/collectible? I smell a scam. These guys are blatantly going for your wallets...I mean, there is nothing about them that makes one better than any other, right? Just a different skin. With cards, you can read why one thing is better than another, and thus value it more. I mean do they have special skills or something? Some can sing, some can play the tuba, some can fix you a sandwich? Anything?

Speaking of shameless money snatchers, can someone please explain BreaKeys to me? I saw the end of a commercial and read a light review of them on a different thread, but i still dont get it.

Well, anything can be collected, but that doesn't make everything valuable. Just look at beanie Babies. WHY were those so sought after? I think they're just fifteen second amusements. They look like they might go a little ways if you launch them properly, though...

Lugia, I have no clue. Those "keys" completely defies gaming logic.

> I smell a scam. These guys are blatantly going for your wallets...

Oh no! I just can't imangine a company doing this...

They're collectible because there are 58 of them but only come in packages of 5. So to get them all you have to collect them. Have no clue how rare a rare is but you have to buy 12 packages and hope you get the correct coalition or else you'll be buying more packages to complete the set.

And anything is collectible. Cards? 2" figures? Comics? Quarters with pictures of states on the back? BJJ763 signed energy cards?

Collectible, I understand; I don't have any beef with that at all. I'm a manic collector. I'd collect bricks from a wall if it wasn't occasionally illegal. But with Mighty Beanz, their basic appeal is so revolting to me that I'd rather go out and find something worthwhile to collect. Those Marvel ones were so awful, I dread to see what they've done to the Pokémon.

Luckily, Pokémon tend to be roundier...

I've spotted those. My brother broke one open(you just twist the middle of the thing and the top comes right off), and right off the bat I knew it could pose to be a choking hazard. It's the Burger King Pokeballs all over again, the way I see it from here.

UncleBob said:
Oh no! I just can't imangine a company doing this...
My point, friend, is that they are making absolutley no real attempt to justify draining money out of you for a reletively pointless product. There is nothing that legitamitely seperates one from another to enforce a rarity system. It's like violence i guess...i only tolerate violence [in entertainment] if theres a point to it, that's why i dont like Samurai Jack, for example. But back to the beans stuff.

I know very well that companies thrive on snatching money. I expect that in order to grab your money, a company must set up something worthwhile. By simply claiming that something is rare, well, that just doesnt work. TCGs are masters of that game, so to speak. Wizards, Upperdeck, Nintendo, etc. have a way to clearly define what is rare and why. Therefore, their money snatching is justified. But these beans, like i said, are just an effortless attempt at collecting money. At least TCGs, comics, or other valuable collectibles put an effort to provide you with consistance quality while suckin' your wallet dry.

Money munchers want to take your money. Support only the ones that give you something in return for your hard earned money (unless you gamble or something for your money...whatever lol).

Keep your safe safe, but if you can't, be reasonable with your purchases.

I actually saw another line of Beanz in a different shop; the bus-stop kind of shop that sells cheap "Harry Wizard" rip-offs and shiny metallic space guns over by the postcard stand. They were unbranded - that is to say, they were original MBz designs. Charicatures of little people like "Cave Woman" and "Mad Scientist". The fact that they were going for E1.99 a pack rather than E9.95 for the Marvel ones was what got me. Seems the reason that the Marvel ones looked so terrible was that they were trying to keep in the style of these presumably-first-series ones.

I'm trying to wonder what those Pokemon marbles would feel like to me if I didn't know that normal, unfranchised marbles have existed for ages. They'd seem a lot less worthwhile, don't you think? Seems Mighty Beanz may have started off like that, and only later branched out. The fact that their established style is puke and pretty-much incompatible with Marvel's doesn't seem to bother them.

Ultimitely, I'm still against the whole idea. Mighty Beanz reek of unnecessarity to me, a bit like the word "unnecessarity". They're basically not needed. It's a crass attempt to generate a "need" where there never was and should never be one.

>There is nothing that legitamitely seperates one from another to enforce a rarity system.

I'm confused... What's the difference between some company printing, say, Latias on a piece of plastic and calling it "rare" and another company putting Latias on a piece of cardboard and calling it "rare"? It's not as if it takes more effort to print one card over another (not counting holo/foil cards)...

As someone who's been a rabid collector since the original Masters of the Universe line came out (when I was three, mind you... my mother was a bad influence) I *know* how stupid this "rare" and "collectable" bs is. (remembers when Marvel/DC would put out three first issues a month and they'd all be "collectable" - but all be crap). But I don't fault the companies for doing it... they're just catering to the market... Think about it, if you could go out and buy a "Boxed Set" of every new set of Pokémon cards, do you think they'd be very popular still? It's the "thrill of the hunt", so to speak, that helps make it more enjoyable. It's the rush you get when you rip open the foil and find that one last elusive card that you need. It's showing off your collection of rare cards to all of your friends (and rivals). If you could just go out and buy 'em all on the first day, it wouldn't be quite as fun, would it? It's as if you've "earned" something by finally getting the one you wanted...

UncleBob said:
I'm confused... What's the difference between some company printing, say, Latias on a piece of plastic and calling it "rare" and another company putting Latias on a piece of cardboard and calling it "rare"? It's not as if it takes more effort to print one card over another (not counting holo/foil cards)...
Well, this is the reason i didnt buy into the trading card trend, literally. Trading cards are really just ink on paper. A trading card game however, is able to institute a demand for a certain card. Not because the creators of it call it rare, but because it truely is, in more than one way. First of all, it is literally rare; it is hard to obtain via booster packs; or you can only get it via certain means (promo's, prizes, redemptions, and the like). And then there is also the game quality of the cards. This can dictate rarity by being an exceptional card. If a card is really good, the value for it--and the rarity--is usually high, so as to retain its specialness; to set it apart from just any other card. This enforces rarity so that it is not just what they tell you, but it is a reasonable explanation for why you should value it as rare.

In a trading card game, you can clearly tell when a card is really good/effective. In just a trading card set it is purely what they tell you that makes something rare; they offer no logical, enforcable reasons for something to be rare. A TCG allows its purchasers to confirm rareness. A purely collectIble item (be it cards, beans, whatever), doesn't really allow consumers to agree that something warrants being considered rare.

So, creators are the ones who tell you something's rarity. The consumers confirm rarities though. If consumers warrant something "rare," than that is how it should be percieved. If a rarity label can't be backed up by reasonable arguments, then it's just a nominal title.

I hope that cleared up my thoughts on rarity.

Last edited:
Wizards, Upperdeck, Nintendo, etc. have a way to clearly define what is rare and why.
Not quite. WotC yes i've read why/how they define a rare card. But the others? I've never seen why Nintendo makes this card a rare or that card a rare.

Oh and Might Beans - the rare Bean comes one per package. I think 2 uncommon but not too sure as i did not take notice of what rarity was pulled, just what was pulled (Stupid Nosepass, got 3 or 5 of those things. Luckily got Latios as my youngest really wanted that one because it's blue).

Wow, so Nosepass is relatively easy to find in those Mighty Beanz things? Wow, that makes one game you can find them easily in. *ducks*

of course. But then again, i think i got you on this one. By "why," i mean they make cards good or hard to obtain--or both. Making a card good is the best way to enforce rarity, but there is also the method of making a card harder to get---you have to put in a little bit of effort, or it is a special variation of something.

UpperDeck---YGO---has good cards that are impossible to get. That suits rarity. Its mean but true. You either have a magikrap YGO deck or a playable one with rares.

Remember that Promos are an appendix of cards, but they can still be used in the game. That adds an edge to them over something that is just hard to get, but virtually identical to everything else in its line.

So, BJJ, you seem to know about these Beanyriffic collectibles, you must be the man to ask about em, then. So tell me, the only thing that makes these rare is that they are strictly harder to get than a common or uncommon, right? And all Beans are the same except for skin right? I may be misinformed, but that's what i have gathered so far. If theres something more to it, i would really like to learn about it. Thanks.

Looks at binder of rare cards....wonders why no one ever used them...remembers rarity <> good..... Yes some Rare cards are awesome but others? Jungle Victreebel? *shutters*

As to MB, i'm not an expert (otherwise i could tell you what the packing scheme is) but the Beans are hard plastic. Colored Beans with a printed skin body wrapped around it. Many also have theirs tops and bottoms decorated with hair (or whatever is on top of their head) and feet (or whatever is on their bottoms). I do know there is a track for them that allows you to race 2 of them. really have no desire to get it but maybe the boys'll save up their money to get it. I did see a carrying case for one of the series but will not get it (designed for that series as had a spot for each one). Maybe if they come out with one for the Pokémon i might get it. Depends.

Back