Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Poke-Power: Call For Power

ShadowCard

"As often as you like during your turn, you may move an energy card from 1 of your pokemon to Dragonite ex. This power can't be used if Dragonite ex is affected by a special condition."

It is missing the "before your attack" statement. Does this mean it can be used after the attack or is it a mistake?
Some may say, why would you use it after the attack? I'm not sure when you would want to, but I know someone is going to point that out and find a situation (I can think of 1 or 2) when you might want to do that.

As far as I know, you can't do anything after your attack unless you are specifically told you can.

So, offhand, I'd say you can't use it after your attack.

yoshi1001 said:
As far as I know, you can't do anything after your attack unless you are specifically told you can.

So, offhand, I'd say you can't use it after your attack.
Once you attack your turn is over, with the possible exception of Minum and Plusle.

Last edited:
No because when your attack is done your turn is over. That "before you attack" is just so those poeple who think they can do what ever they want during some one's turn can't. And another thing it says during your turn.

Joe Monkey said:
No because when your attack is done your turn is over.
not true. Taking a prize occurs during your turn, after the attack. It could be possible to play the poke-power again after the prize-take step. Dark Gyarados' Pokemon power Final Beam takes place after the attack (since it needs to be KOed for it to be used). Not all turns (or between turns) can be broken down into easy to follow steps that the rule book has lined out.

Saying the power can be used "anytime during your turn", then taking it to the rule book to say it is only "before your attack" seems very "yugioh-ish" (a bad thing).

i think they just took out (before your attack) part, because your turn DOES end unless otherwise specificly noted.

Joe Monkey said:
No because when your attack is done your turn is over.

Welll, according to ex dragon's Nincada, that isnt exactly true. Here is the text for his attack(emphasis is mine).

[G] Leech Life 10
After your attack, remove from Nincada the number of damage counters equal to the damage you did to the Defending Pokemon. If Nincada has fewer damage counters than that, remove all of them.

However, proving that something can occour after your attack but before the end of your turn doesn't prove you can use this effect after your turn.

In my opinion, PUI simply forgot to put the text in.

So then, since attacking does not trigger an automatic end to your turn (witout any other interfering factors, like babies), you could use Call For Power sometime before the end of your turn but after the attack.

If you truly think attacking ends your turn, you can't draw prizes since that occurs after resolution of attacks. The rule book lists taking a prize as a seperate step.

I agree that they just forgot to put in the text, but there are people who may try to take advantage of that. I just want to be able to tell people without saying that it is the reason of "because we say so".

Last edited:
You attack ends ALWAYS after you calculate everything for your attack. That includes removing damage counters off of them, taking 10 damage, removing a energy, or switching it with a benched pokemon. Taking a prize is part of the attack. You attack, calculate that you knocked out the opponent's pokemon and take a prize. YOUR TURN IS NOW OVER, no if's and's or but's.

Read the rulebook guys. Sheeesh. There's a 4-step turn sequence on p.7 of the Sandstorm Rulebook. READ IT. Unless the game text on the card says otherwise (which this power-in-question does NOT), you can only use Poke-Powers in Step #2, AFTER you draw a card, and BEFORE you attack. It's THAT SIMPLE.

It's FUNNY that people are even arguing about this! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Like Steve Says... There isn't anything to do after you attack. You attack and do everything associated with that attack, various game related actions may get triggered and become part of the attack step. Some of these may require you to make choices but the whole lot is part of the attack step.

Choose to attack....do all the attack stuff......the attack ends.... your turn is over.!

ooohhh bad monkeys! first the break PokeNav: now this!!
tisk tisk tisk... yep, the before you attack is missing, so- as your attacking you can use the power, and as you take a prize you can use this power... heh- there is a rulling clarifacation neaded for this as both of these ARE part of your turn and it CAN be augured for. Heh, erratas I love them!

after u attack still can use poke-pow ? so what if the sentence doesnt state

quote: after attack,take prize .

when taking prize u still play trainer or other things just because the sentence doesnt say so?

SteveP said:
Read the rulebook guys. Sheeesh. There's a 4-step turn sequence on p.7 of the Sandstorm Rulebook. READ IT. Unless the game text on the card says otherwise (which this power-in-question does NOT), you can only use Poke-Powers in Step #2, AFTER you draw a card, and BEFORE you attack. It's THAT SIMPLE.

It's FUNNY that people are even arguing about this! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
thats what i was tryin to say :p

every card that says "before you attack" has that as reminder text.

It's only a reminder guys! Just 'cause a restauraunt doesn't have a sign saying "shirt and shoes required" on its door, doesn't mean they'll let you come in just wearing your skivvies!

Last edited:
Back