Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Blak-Chapter 5 preview, LAST PAGE

Dr. Mason

So, here's the deal. I'm big on writing and I love me some Pokemans, but I write more serious stories. I don't usually get into fanfic, but I was bored one evening and came up with this. It's essentially a Pokemon Red Blue story retelling with element from the anime and the games.

But, I'm a pretty picky guy. I only write stories I'm motivated to write, and by that I mean I have support, and people asking for dealine. This is a condensed prologue, which will be expanded upon -if- you guys want more. Then I'll continue on the story til the end. I have an outline setup so there is no sudden story changes or anything--I know what I'm doing. So, if you like what you see, post here and let me know. Inspire me. :p Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

PROLOGUE

The sun was setting on a small town in the southern Kanto region. Rustling grass slows with the falling light, making way for glowing bright eyes beyond the trees and the more sinister whispers of the wind. The only light left as the sun finally leaves the sky comes from the windows of a home barely occupied by a single mother and her son. Inside, the busy woman is working hastily at the dishes, eager to sleep after her long, exhausting day. Her long black hair compliments her darker skin complexion and her sleeveless blouse and jeans imply a somewhat laidback woman. Her green eyes are deep pools, reaching down as far as her years. Dishes pile on forever, but eventually the stacks lessen and she slumps into a chair, exhausted. A rag in one hand and glass of water in the other, she sighs exasperatedly and tosses the rag back, taking a deep gulp of water. As she leans forward on the wooden table, her eyes turn to a ball on the smooth surface. The ball is red and white, split in the middle with some sort of button for triggering the device. A Poke Ball, used to capture and contain Pokemon.

I shouldn't have dragged that out...but with Red going...I just had to think things through she thinks, frowning down at it and holding it in her hands, rotating it, examining it. She presses the button, knowing what to expect. Nothing. The ball does nothing, same as always, locked up for whatever reason. She had even had Oak examine it, and all he could do was try to scan it. The test results simply said that it contained no known Pokemon and was apparently empty. But...since it was a gift from him, his last gift to their family, she had kept it.

The mother closes her eyes sadly. Her son would be leaving and she would be all alone...but more importantly, Red would be all alone. Now that he was leaving, she had no control. I've always tried to protect him, but now... she thinks, remembering him.

She smiles, not noticing a hair thin tear sliding down her face.

Suddenly, a sound from the room above catches her ear. A small crash and the barely audible echo of an enthusiastic announcer told her two things. One, he had fixed the television. Two, Red had finally crossed over her boundaries. I told him to go to bed early tonight. Birthday or not, he needs to get up early tomorrow....ooooohhh...he thinks just because he's sixteen now he doesn't have to listen to his mother! she thinks angrily. She scoots up her chair quickly as she stands up, marching up the stairs with deliberate noise. She hears a panicked intake of air as he quickly tries to turn off everything and get in bed. Does he think I'm that stupid?

When she gets to the top of the stairs, she opens the door with a resounding thwack! and points at her son, who has his finger on the power button, stopping cold.

"Hehe....mom, um...what are you still doing up?" he asks, trying to play innocent feebly. Her son sits up with his legs tucked in, black hair falling over his eyes a bit. His clothes are wrinkled badly, a black t-shirt with a red and white vest, while his pants are torn and frayed, giving the impression of every rebellious teenage kid.

"What am I doing up!? Look at you! You're up late before the big day watching TV with no clothes washed, and all your belongings unpacked! What are you thinking, Red...?" she counters exasperatedly, rubbing her temples. "Oh....I guess it's okay.” she says, calming down. “This time.”

Red let's out a sigh of relief and snickers.

“Just, go to sleep. I'll take your clothes and wash them tonight, you just throw your stuff together and go to bed," she sighs, grabbing some of the clothes on the floor and making her way out of the room.

"Mom..."

"Yes, Red?" she questions, starting and moving around to answer him.

"I'm sorry. Thanks for helping," he starts, looking at her seriously, "I'm just really psyched, you know? I want to be really good...the best. And I'm really glad you're letting me go. "

Smiling, his mother turns around just outside the door.
"I was kind of hoping you'd go for..." she says jokingly, "but I... sixteen years old-- just, go to sleep, okay?" With an tiny squint and a sparkle of her emerald eyes, she closed the door just as a piece of clothing drops.

Red smiles back and sighs as she shuts it, grabbing his things lazily. He lays back in bed, pulling his baseball cap over his smiling face.

The mother sighs, making her way down the stairs. She weaves through the kitchen, picking up the red-white ball on the table and going out to the deck, leaning on the rail. She looks up at the moon, closes her eyes and smiles to herself.

He's grown up so fast, and he's so like you...would you be proud? Or would you be...?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Light slides across the foot of Red's bed, streaming from the moonlight peeking through his windows. He lays back on his bed, thinking.

I know that a new trainer gets a rare Pokemon from far away...but I've never seen them before. I hope the one I get is a good one.

His mother opens the door downstairs, and Red hears her make her way to her bedroom. A frown twitches on his lips.

She's been acting kind of odd lately. I guess she's upset....that I'm leaving here. But I can't stay here forever.....nah. Think about it later. Time for sleep.

Red tugs his hat further down.

I'm going to be a master Trainer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------{END PROLOGUE}-

CHAPTER 1

Red awoke to booming thunderclaps and and the hard sound of raindrops pelting the house with soft strokes to the roof. He almost decided on going back to sleep, too dazed to remember the prospects of the coming day. Fevered dreams chased him through his half-sleep, until eventually, he remembered the previous evening, and jerked upwards, taking a deep waking breath and running a hand across his face and through his untidy black hair. Rubbing his eyes, he turned to the clock sleepily. Six o' clock. Pushing it, but just fine considering his history. The house was strangely quiet for this morning, as normally he could already hear his mother bustling about downstairs. Red got up sloppily, palms hitting either side of his thin frame onto the mattress.

Time to get up. No procrastinating he thought determinedly. I've been waiting for this day a long time, when I finally become a licensed battler. He swung his legs over the bed, hopping up and beginning to get dressed, going over his attire like a checklist. Black shirt, check. Red jacket, check...

A knock on the door.

Red finished buckling his belt and opened the door for his mother, who leaned into the room, turning to him and said, “Red, I don't know if you should be going out in this weather, maybe you should-”

“No Mom, it'll be fine. I planned to leave today and that's what I'm going to do,” stated Red firmly, cutting her off. He loaded a last few things into his large pack, jerking it into place on his back. He opened the door, walking down the familiar staircase right past his mother, not looking back once. The living room where he played as a child is ignored. His parents' bedroom where he used to sleep when he was scared received no extra thought. His mother followed behind him quickly, concerned, but most of all, unwilling to let go.

“Red, don't you want to stay for breakfast?” she asked, keeping with his quick pace as they entered the kitchen.

“Not hungry.” he said. She hastened her pace and shot her hand forward to grab his.

"Stay a bit? Before heading out?" They stopped at the entry, his mother looking at him thoughtfully with strained eyes.

Sighing, Red dropped his backpack to the floor, at his feet. “Fine. Fine, Mom. We'll sit down and have breakfast.” he snapped. His mother stared at him, hurt. “No, no. Let's do it,” he said, his eyes lost below the shadow of his hat's rim. He pulled up a chair with a screech and sat with both his arms down in front of him, overlapped.

Nervously, his mother went to to the stove where she had been cooking eggs on a skillet with some toast and bacon. She kept looking back at Red, as if to make sure he hadn't disappeared. As she finished, she loaded her labor onto a plate for him, and laid it in front of him. He started at her in total silence, and as soon as she opened her mouth, he knew what it was about.

“Maybe you shouldn't-”

“I knew you would try this. I just, well, I should have known. I tried, really tried to be nice last night, but this is the last I'm gonna hear of it. I am sixteen now. You can't stop me just because you're worried. This is my life.”

“You'll be all on your own! But you could be hurt! You could get killed!”

“I DON'T CARE!” Red yells back at his mother, locking eyes with her. “I can take care of myself.”

“Red, I-”

No. No. You can't keep me here because of the war. You can't keep me here because of him. Or because of you.”

Red grabbed a piece of toast and bit down on it as he moved, ignoring any recollection of the time spent here. He looked back, and said with a touch of venom, “I've had enough. I'm not staying here anymore.” He refused even to look her in the eye. Quickly, he hoisted up his bags again, and opened the door to a symphony of rain.

In the living room, the television was showing a movie, as four boys began a walk along a winding railroad...

He took a few steps outside, standing in the torrent for just a moment, raindrops flowing down his face and off of his protruding hat rim. He closed his eyes and grinned, overwhelming ambition forcing him through it all, then stepped forward and began his long walk to Oak Research and Development Center.

His mother walked lightly to the door, with a face full of fresh new sorrow and a flood of tears to match the rain, yelling his name in desperate agony, standing just before the darkness and watching him as he walked away from his lifelong home, for the penultimate time.

Red walked onward, now blind to the life behind him. The rain came down hard, splashing weight onto his shoulders. The soaking, however, did not bother him, as his foresight extended at least enough to get a water proof pack. The sun had only barely risen and even then, there wasn't much visible through the various clouds towering over the empty grass fields.

A small disturbance to the right, a rusting of grass and an extra splattering of rain alerted him to the arrival of a friend. He turned around, walking backwards and scoping the area for his visitor...

“Blue! I was wondering if we'd meet up!” Red yelled to him, waving enthusiastically.

A young man began sprinting towards him, his black shirt and cargo pants completely soaked as well. His spiked brown hair drooped under the pressure of the downpour, despite the large umbrella in his hand. He caught up to Red, putting the umbrella over the both of them.

“You idiot! You don't just go out in the rain like this without some cover, or at least a jacket!” he said, grinning widely at him as they continued their walk to the lab.

“Look at you!” Red retorted, slapping his wet back.

“Hey hey hey, it's been kinda windy...” he said, taking a faux defensive tone.

“Nah, chill. It's good to see you,” joked Red as they began climbing a steep incline, “but, hey, did you check on your Gramps to see what kind of Pokemon we were gonna get?”

Blue rummaged through one of his pockets for a laminated page, handing it to Red. “Be careful,” he said as he pushed it into his hands, “It's my only copy.”

Red nodded, opening up the page to see what his first Pokemon may be. Three Pokemon appeared on the page: a Bulbasaur, a green dinosaur with red eyes and a giant green bulb on his back, Squirtle, a blue turtle Pokemon with a curled tail, and a Charmander, an orange lizard-like creature with a fiery tail. “These are pretty cool,” he said excitedly, handing the paper back to Blue, who unceremoniously shoved it into a different pocket. “Have you thought about which one you want?”

“Squirtle, that's what I'm asking for. I read up on his evolution. He has giant cannons on his back.” he said, grinning.

“That's just...awesome.” Red replied, laughing and grinning back. ”I want a Charmander, I think.”

“Ha! You better hope you never battle me then. I'll put out his light before you even know we moved,” he taunted, punching his shoulder playfully.

“Yeah right,” Red chuckled as they reached the top of the hill, where the monolith of the lab awaited.

They entered through the double doors quickly, out of breath with their hands on their knees gasping for breath.

The room was very clean and mostly white, with a tiled floor and Poke Ball-decorated wall, with lots of computers and monitors about. There were also many chairs lined up against the wall. It seemed to be a waiting room, but was empty.

“Remind me...never to...race you in...the rain,” gasps Red between gulps of air.

“Me...too!” says Blue, trying to laugh with his strained lungs.

As they both caught their breath, a young man in a lab coat walked up to them. He looked at them through his large glasses nervously and seemed as if he wanted to say something. Red and Blue looked at him curiously, waiting for him to say something, anything. He stayed silent. They stared at each other for several moments.

“Er....I'm...Professor Elm. Oak told me you boys were coming in today....um, follow me?” he asks, nervous—but energetic.

Blue, seeming to recognize him, stood up fully and put a quick arm around him, then stepped back to shake his hand. “Elm, man, I haven't seen you in like eight years!” he exclaimed, looking around. “So, where's Gramps? I thought he was gonna be evaluating us today.”

“Oh, he's, uh, back in the testing area, working on some project. They've got him working with the military now poor guy. I'm glad we don't have this sort of problem back in Johto,” he said, addressing the recent efforts of Rocket, a criminal organization that had escalated its efforts recently into all-out war. “You're lucky...they're considering closing the roads. The recent attacks on Saffron City have been very large scale. If this keeps up, they'll take it.”

A moment of uneasy silence swept them.

“Well, that's Red, right? Come on over, I've heard a lot about you. They say both of you boys got full marks on the written exam.” he said, looking at them in approval.

“Nah, that was Blue. I just kinda got through it,” mumbled Red, slightly embarrassed. “I don't do so well with tests.”

“Well, let's hope you're better with practical tests than written ones, or you won't get a Pokemon today.” said Elm, putting his hands into his pockets. “Now, eh, follow me, and we'll get your Pokemon and begin the exam.”

As Elm turned and began his stride, the boys smiled at each other and threw their bags onto the metal chairs, following closely behind Professor Elm. As they went through the Plexiglas doors, they entered into a long narrow hallway with various test chambers. Occasionally, Red looked through one of the frosted windows, seeing various men and women in white coats experimenting with Pokemon. Some were friendly, playing with the Pokemon and performing their work very gently; others were more methodical and calculating, and gave the creatures no special treatment.

Professor Elm opens a door to his left, turning to them.

“Ah! I almost forgot...we need to take your pictures, get your thumbprints. Standard procedure, promise.” he says, smiling nervously. The room is plain and white with a camera on a stand, a table, and a single chair. He steps aside to usher them in, setting Blue into a seat first. He goes back, adjusts, and takes the photo. Blue jams in his thumb and gets up, rolling his eyes at Elm as he drops the the remote mistakenly. Red shares a quick grin with him and plops down into the chair, putting on his best fake picture smile. The flash goes off and he too jams his thumb into the pad, holding it for second then getting up and walking back out. Elms drops the remote again, and Red and Blue give each other a look.

“This guy is really jittery,” whispers Red, turning his head to Blue, “is he always like this?”

Elm trips on the way out.

“Yes.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soon, they had reached the end of the hall, with a large LCD sign above the door that read “Testing Arena”.

Testing...Arena? Red asked himself in his head, with a sudden jolt of realization. I wonder who I'm going to be facing...

As they went through that last set of doors, Elm moved to the side and stood patiently, looking down the hall to the right. There was another hall going to the left and right and a window in front of them where the Arena loomed ahead, fairly massive and clean, with a PokeBall design painted onto the floor.

Then, a spattering of steps from the right. Red and Blue leaned over into the hall to look for the source of the sound, and found it.

Professor Oak, though aging thoroughly, has not lost his life yet. He was tall, strong, and walked with determination, though his knotted hands and flabby face gave the impression of a man who had entered retirement. Though his body was old, his eyes were bright and full of energy. He smiled and waved at them, stopping before them with his arms behind his back.

“Hello boys. How are you today? Ready to get your first Pokemon?” he asked, his smile cutting through his years.

“Yes sir,” said Red, standing straight and proud. Blue followed similarly.

“Well, there is...a bit of a problem, you see....” he mutters, frowning. “We were supposed to receive their PokeBalls this morning, but, we've received a call that the shipment was hijacked...by Rocket. They stole the truck and the Pokemon. Fortunately, they left the drivers alive, thank goodness...”

Red and Blue's faces fell in a combination of disappointment and dread.

“Yes, yes, Rocket is getting more and more bold all the time...unfortunate. For my research too, these government applications are eating up all my time,” he said, frustrated. “I didn't become a Pokemon Professor to help fight a war...but, I digress. I do still have two Pokemon, but it's all I have. You'll have to make due. Now, I don't want any hard feelings between you boys, so I'm not going to tell you what Pokemon is in there until you've chosen.”

He holds out two PokeBalls, saying, “Now boys, choose wisely. This Pokemon will doubtless be your partner for some time. Treat them with care if you want them to grow strong.”

Red and Blue both looked at other.

“Sucks that we don't really get to choose, but I guess it's better than no Pokemon at all, right?” jokes Red, nodding towards Oak. “Go ahead, you choose first, it's your birthday.”

“It's your birthday too, you twit,” he says, grinning at him, “but if that's how you want it...”

He takes the first PokeBall, then Red grabs the second.

Red looks down at his happily. Yes! My first step to my new life, and this Pokemon will take me there!

Red looks back up to Blue, who is tossing his lightly. “So, Gramps...who got what here?”

“You'll find out in a moment,” laughs Professor Oak, motioning them to follow and turning to walk down the hall, “you're going to have your first battle together.”

Red and Blue look at each other, surprised. At first there is a spark of intensity between them, choking the air, but slowly they relax and smile at each other. They both grab their brand new PokeBalls and clip them onto their special belts, as is custom.

“Time to see which of us is better then,” says Red, “Let's go.”

Blue nods, chasing after him down the hall as they enter the stadium.

There are two sides to the stadium, and a place for each battler to stand. The orange floor is well taken care of and extremely reflective, reminding them of their presence with each step in the opposite direction. Professor Oak makes his way across the stadium and up a set of stairs to a small glass booth where the examination table sits. Professor Elm walks in as well, taking a seat next to Oak at the examination chamber, taking out pens and paper from their steel desks and writing down some basic information. Red and Blue stare each other down, both wondering the same thing. Which of them will win?

There's no way I'm going to win this. He's way better than I am, and I still don't know what my Pokemon is. I'm willing to bet that no matter what Blue has, he'll know exactly how to use it...I can only hope for some sort of advantage thinks Red, all traces of a smile gone. This would be his first battle. He knew the rules, he knew the mechanics, but he didn't know if it would be enough.

Red might be tough. He's always been a slacker, but he thinks fast. I probably have a better idea of what I'm doing than he does, but he's got quick wits. Our first battle...not something I can say I was looking forward to.

“Now, the rules of this examination are very simple. This will be a one-on-one match with no time limit. The first battler to run out of Pokemon will be the loser. You may release your Pokemon at this time.”

Red and Blue move at almost the exact same time, grabbing their PokeBalls and holding them high in the hair, holding the center button tight, then releasing them into the air, rolling quickly and opening. A red flare shoots out from the opening, assembling their Pokemon in front of their eyes.

“Battler Red has opened with a Psyduck!” announces Oak using the microphone in the booth, and indicating the Pokemon. It is small, barely up to Red's knees, yellow and round with a small tuft of black hair in the back of it's head. It wags its tail vigorously and hold its head as if suffering some sort of headache. It has a large bill and blank, confused eyes. It looks back at Red, cocking its head curiously and regarding its new trainer.

Red looks at it, disappointed. He had read about Psyduck. They were prone to strong headaches and were often hindered by them. There goes my chances...

“And Battler Blue has opened with a Growlithe!” announced Oak, smiling. Once again, he indicated the Pokemon, which was now running around Blue and yapping playfully. It has an orange and black striped body with tufts of gold-tan fur and a cute puppy face. Suddenly, it notices Red's Psyduck and growls menacingly, losing the cute face. Psyduck panics, taking a few steps back.

This is exactly the kind of advantage I needed. Growlithe is a Fire-type, so he's going to take a lot more damage from my attacks. I just have to land enough... thinks Red, concentrating hard to remember his studies.

Well... thinks Blue, that's luck of the draw for ya...

“It seems there's some tension on the field...” noted Oak, “Very well. You may begin!”

“Go, Growlithe! Burn him out!” commands Blue, the Growlithe instantly charging at Psyduck, firing ranged bursts of flame. Psyduck scattered, dodging flare bursts haphazardly. The Growlithe continued to confidently advance, trying to corner the Psyduck. Finally, after the initial shock of the sudden start, Red begins to call the shots.

“Psyduck, aim a Water Gun at him!” he orders, pointing determinedly at the weaving Growlithe. Psyduck opens his mouth and sprays a high pressure blast of cool water, colliding instantly and swirling to steam with Growlithe's burst of flame. The clouds of steam make it hard to see what is going on, wisping slowly through the air. Their silhouettes are barely visible.

“Psyduck! Scratch!” yelled Red, as the Pokemon rushed forward and placed a well-aimed blow across the Growlithe's cheek, and shifted back a few feet, growling angrily.

Above, Oak and Elm both watch carefully as the battle unfolds, taking precise notes.

“Take Down!” calls out Blue. Growlithe seemingly nods to affirm it and takes a wider stance, suddenly rushing at Psyduck. In a wild tackle, he slams into Psyduck, apparently hurting himself in the process. Psyduck goes flying, bouncing off the floor several times before landing at Red's feet.

“No, Psyduck...get up!” pleads Red, crouching down to him, “Come on!”

Psyduck slowly gets up, pretty bruised, but actually somewhat determined.

“Tackle him Growlithe!” orders Blue, looking over the scene. His speed's not bad, but he's very confused. I don't think he'll be able to take a direct attack.

As the Growlithe skids back from the force of the slam, he pounces at Psyduck, crashing him into the floor. Psyduck holds his head in agony, another stronger headache causing him not to resist. Growlithe pins him down hard.

“Finish it off with Ember!” Blues shouts, standing firm, assured of victory.

Growlithe pulls back his head, taking a deep breath.

Red panics, yelling, “Water Gun, Psyduck, do something!” to no response. He angrily holds his head in his hand, ruffling his hair.

Wait...that's it! The headache! Psyduck has psychic powers intensified by headaches! he remembers, smirking.

“Psyduck...use Confusion!”

Psyduck's eyes glow bight blue, emanating a wispy aura. Growlithe stops in mid breath, seemingly frozen. Then, chaos. He jumps off of Psyduck, running in circle and firing randomly, his movements dizzy and uncoordinated. Psyduck gets up, eyes no longer glowing. It seemingly was not even aware of what had just happened. He cocks his head again.

“Psy...?”

Red slaps a palm to his face, bringing it down across his face. Great. He doesn't know what he's doing at all. Hopefully he can carry out this one.

“Psyduck, end it with another Water Gun!” directs Red, making another gesture at the Growlithe dizzily cross the floor.

Obediently, Psyduck opens his mouth and sprays another jet of water, hitting Growlithe head on, who is forced back spinning, landing on his stomach. Slowly, he tries to get up, but collapses, exhausted.

“The battle goes to Red! Well done! Please, step outside and sit in the waiting room,” says Professor Oak through the intercom, grinning widely. “We'll be with you with your rank and license shortly. Blue, stop at the Pokemon Center down the hall first. You too I think, Red. They'll need some healing. I suggest you return them to their PokeBalls.”

Sighing in relief and surprise, Red crouches down again to his Psyduck, offering the PokeBall.

Suddenly, the Psyduck does something Red does not expect—he smacks the PokeBall out of his hand.

“Professor Oak, what's...?”

“Some Pokemon do not like to stay inside of their PokeBalls. Some prefer staying out all the time,” says Oak dismissively, continuing his fevered writing.

Red smiles. “Alright. As long as you're not trouble, you can stay out of the ball, okay?” says Red. Psyduck nods happily, waddling over to him. Red then turns to Blue, who is kneeling over his Growlithe. “Hey Blue, is he okay?”

“Yeah, he'll be alright. Just gotta get him to the Center here,” he mumbles. “Great match. I had forgotten about Psyduck's extra abilities.”

He holds out his PokeBall and opens it. Growlither is sucked back in with the same red flare of light, and the ball closes. He hooks it onto his belt.

“That was a great battle Red. I thought I had it, but you surprised me. Great match, really,” he says, offering a hand to Red. He takes it and they shake firmly, as friends. Blue throws and arm around Red and they leave together, the still confused Psyduck waddling behind them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the Pokemon Center inside the lab, Red drops off his Psyduck, who is instantly upset. Red sighs. “So, what, do you want me to stay Psyduck?” he asks, as Blue grins, handing his PokeBall to the nurse.

Psyduck nods, stopping his tears.

“Alright...mind stayin' with me Blue?” asks Red as they take Psyduck and Growlithe back behind the counter area.

“Yeah, might as well. If the technology here is as advanced Gramps claims, it shouldn't take too long,” he sighs, resting against the counter. He takes in deep breath and closes his eyes, thinking.

“Something wrong, Blue?” asks Red, turning his head to look at his friend.

“Not really,I just...I'm excited to finally start out, but, my family. I'm gonna miss them,” he says, frowning, “It's not as easy to leave home...as I thought it would be, now that it's actually happening.”

“Oh...yeah,” says Red guiltily, remembering the morning's fight, “Well you know my mom didn't want me to go. But I had to. There's nothing here for me.”

“Well, maybe, but...at least you said your good-byes, right? I mean, you'll come home eventually...” he says,studying Red.

“Yeah...sure,” says Red, looking down, the shadow of his brim hiding his eyes again. Deep inside, his memories of his family are churning, but he blocks it out, worried he might chicken out, give up.

Blue opens his mouth to say something, but is cut off by the arrival of the nurses. Psyduck is presented, clean and yelping happily, into Red's open arms, who lets him down. Blue takes his PokeBall and runs it over in his hand, thinking.

“I wonder...if Growlithe likes being out too...” he thinks aloud, then opens up the PokeBall to let him out. Growlither appears good as new, cheerily yapping and pawing at Blue's legs. He leans down, holding up the PokeBall. “Growlithe...would you rather stay inside the ball, or just follow me around. One shake for to stay out, two to go in,” he asks, holding it out. His Growlithe paws his hand once. “Alright. Out it is,” he says, clipping the ball onto his belt. “Come on, let's go,” he says, walking out of the room. Red follows, pushing his mother to very back of his mind.

They make their way back through the narrow hallways, through the Plexiglas door and fall back into the chairs, leaning forward in silence.

Psyduck and Growlithe, not longer in a battle, get along well, jumping and playing,though Psyduck never seems to remove his hands from his ever-aching head. Blue regards them and laughs softly.

“Their our Pokemon...I guess they'll get along fine,” he chuckles, looking at Red, who is steeped in thought.

Oh god...I did so badly at controlling Psyduck...I really only won through my type advantage. It was mostly sloppy and badly coordinated. thinks Red, holding his head in dramatic shame.

I didn't win, but I did a much better job of handling my Pokemon than Red, that's sure to give me some extra points muses Blue, absentmindedly petting Growlithe, who has curled his lap.

Red looks pathetically at his Psyduck. He has already succumbed to another headache, holding his head in pain.

What am I going to do with him...?

The silence is broken by Professors Oak and Elm, who stroll in casually with two cards in hand. Oak stands in front of them, extending a card to each of them.

“This is an A Rank license. You are permitted to go anywhere in Kanto, and even have access to the various Gyms. You are free to challenge them as you wish, collect the Badges, and challenge the Elite Four for the title of Champion. And of course, the awards that come with it,” he explains, beaming at both of them, “I'm so proud. Of both of you. I'm sure you'll do fine. And...I have a special favor to ask.”

Red and Blue stand up, ecstatic.

“Sure Gramps, anything you want, right Red?” Blue asks, twisting his neck back to face him.

“Uh, yeah sure!” agrees Red, looking over his license. I think I'd agree to just about anything today.

“In my youth, I was a Pokemon trainer too...I traveled all across the world, meeting all kinda of Pokemon, but...I had a dream. One that I was never able to realize at the time. To catch every kind of Pokemon in the world! That was my dream...” he sighs, looking upward. “But I got old, settled down. Things like this happen, in life. But, anyway...I invented a device, many years later, called,” he says, reaching into his coat pockets, “a Pokedex.”

He offers a device to each of them, a red machine resmbling a book. They open them cautiously to examine them.

“This module records data on any Pokemon you see or catch. Simple open the device and point the sensors at the Pokemon you want to record. Catching a Pokemon will provide far more data than simply encountering a Pokemon in the wild, as my Pokedex can read data directly from a Pokeball. I have already loaded the data of your two Pokemon, so don't orry about recording them.”

Red closes his Pokedex, regarding it for a moment, then looking at Oak thoughtfully.

“So, you want use to record the Pokemon we find for you, and when we've completed it, to bring it back?” he asks, holding it in his palm.

“Exactly, both of you. I know it's a lot to ask but-”

“Nah, Gramps it's no trouble. We'll do it, you can count on us,” promises Blue, closing his own and pocketing it, “and I'll do it before Red can.”

“Sure, whatever works for you,” moans Red, rolling his eyes. They both laugh at their shared joke.

“Alright boys. It's the beginning of a new day. And, lucky for you, the rain is finally gone!” says Oak, looking out the double glass doors. “Come here, Blue. Give your ol' Grandpa a hug,” he says, locking his arms around his grandson. Red watches, uncomfortable again. His Psyduck looks at him curiously. Blue's Growlithe, impatient, begins pawing at Blue's legs. He breaks out of the hug and leans down to ruffle Growlithe's mane, smiling.

“Ready to go Red?” he asks, motioning him as he slings his backpack over his shoulder.

Red does the same, nodding. “Yeah, let's go.”

They make their way through the doors, Psyduck and Growlithe following close behind.

The sun shines over the wet grassy fields, stretching out before them. Red can barely see him home, off in the distance. He stares at it for a moment, thinks, and ignores it.

“There'll be plenty of time to come home and see her again...” Red thinks aloud.

“Huh?”

“Oh...nothing Blue.”

They both make their way down the hill, Pokemon in tow, towards the road to Viridian City, the road ahead the first leg of their adventure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

END CHAPTER 1

Last edited:
I for one am interested. I wanna know who is Red's mom talking to in her head? Would who approve? I for one, want this more fleshed out.

BTW:I hope you can check out my fan fic here as well! :)

I will be subscibing to this thread to read future developements. =)

I want more. I think that so far, it's pretty good.Oh, and if you want the title to be like the color, it's "Black". ^BTW, subscribe to mine.:tongue:

Haha, I know, that's entirely intentional. I'm an advanced placement English student who's obsessed with writing and books :p

I'm really liking this so far. A good balance between dialogue and description, and that makes for a good story!

MWUHAHAHAHAHA!

I UPDATED. I ACTUALLY UPDATED. FULL PROLOGUE IS UUUUUUUUUUUP.

Now. An opinion. :]

Which starter would you like to see Red with?

Oh just start him with a Pikachu. That's more like the Manga. I think. But we all know Pikachu is the best. OR, you could start him out with a lv 1 Ralts. All it can do is growl at the opponent and the only way for it to get Exp is to throw the Ralts at the Pokemon and hope the impact KOs the wild pokemon and not the Ralts.=P

Charmander is so unoriginal, but then again, so is naming the main character "Red". =P JK, but is there a reason why he's named Red?

I call for Red to get (insert name here), but due to Team (insert unoriginal name here) he loses his Pokemon. Then he somehow gets his mother's Pokeball and gets a...pink flying mouse.

Back