Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon family sets World Record?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to know if anyone has seen this in their newspapers or on TV news:

December 23, 2011 (SPRINGFIELD, Ill.) -- A family from Frankfort is part of the Guinness World Records 2012 Gamers Edition for their "Pokemon" prowess.

The Arnold family will be listed in what promoters call the "video game bible covering facts, figures and records from the interactive industry."

Father Glenn, mother Linda, brothers Ryan and David, and daughter Grace are recognized as the "largest Competitive Pokemon Videogame Family."

The Arnolds have traveled to and competed in every Pokemon Video Game World Championship since 2008. They consistently rank in the top 10.

Their talents have earned them a two-page spread in the book.

The book is due in stores Jan. 3.

(Copyright ©2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Does this even make sense?? If I recall correctly, the official VCG tourneys were only few and far between, I'm sure there were other people who have gone to all these tourneys but how does this go down for the guiness world record book?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-bc-il--pokemonrecord,0,3337102.story

CMT

I am amazed Guinness even recognizes that as a record, the question is do they have knowledge of anything prior to 2008 though?

I wont it they dont know everything, it just would seem unlikely they will know everything if they started in the tourneys in 2008.

I just find this strange because the TCG has been on longer than the VCG and the TCG has way more events......I would have been more surprised if it was going to every TCG event but the early VCG events were very few, so a lot of people would have been able to go to these events.....not sure how this qualifies as a world record....meh

CMT

It seem like for it to be a record, it had to happen with someone else or a group of people before.

Otherwise what are they really claiming as the record here?

I know the Arnolds and they are quite the VGC family. Here are some of their accomplishments, along with top cutting Nationals every year. They're received quite the media coverage after sweeping Regionals last year (1st and 2nd father/son finals, Grace won in Juniors) and after a lackluster performance at Nationals, they did incredible at the LCQ, having three more members qualify.

Grace: Qualified for Worlds '08, '09, '10, '11, 1st Place Regionals '10 (Only person in the WORLD to every qualify for VGC worlds every year)
Ryan: Qualified for Worlds '10, '11, 1st Place Regionals '12
David: Qualified for Worlds '09, '11, 1st Place Regionals '10, 2nd Place Nationals '11 (Youngest Regional Champion in 2010)
Linda: Qualified for Worlds '10
Glenn: Qualified for Worlds '09, '10, 2nd Place Regionals '10

And I mean every record has to start somewhere, right? I don't know of any other family as large as the Arnolds who have ALL had success throughout the four years of VGC though, so I can't imagine someone really "breaking" this record for a long time to come. Regardless, they are an incredible family and are very kind and humble about their achievements.

I'm also pretty sure you have to "apply" for a record, and who knows, if a TCG player was dedicated enough and had enough titles to his name, they could probably get a record in the books too. (Ray :p)

trying to read the AP article in the OP here, I thought the record was attendance at so many events more than the accomplishments.

Meh......I guess makes sense, but 4 years is lame for a record.....the TCG has been on for way longer than that and I'm surprised there are no records for attendance or player achievements for that......you see way bigger numbers for that alone.....this does not impress me much, but I guess it gives Pokemon some press....not bad.

CMT

It does seem kinda lame that they aren't recognizing TCG...

But eh, I honestly can't think of many VGC players part of Pokemon playing families besides them honestly, many of us are out there kinda doing our own thing. Grats to them I guess,

They're not recognizing TCG because no one has taken the initiative to apply for a record? It's not like Guinness keeps up with everything in the gaming world; they have to first be informed in order to go a bit further and dig deeper. And Charizard, considering official VGC has only been around for four years, I think it's a very impressive feat that they all have managed to qualify for Worlds along with several Regional titles. I don't know of ANY TCG family that has had 5 members qualify for Worlds along with one who has qualified every year.

This is a little weird. I'm all for Pokemon players getting some recognition but... This just seems extremely specific, to me.

I mean, do I get in the world record book for posting on here as myself the most times?

That... and I've won a ridiculous amount of VGC tournaments, and I've been doing it for almost twice as long. I don't see anyone calling me about it.

Really fishy.

I really don't understand how its fishy at all. A ridiculous amount of VGC tournaments? I don't even recognize your name.. These are IRL VGC tournaments we're talking about, not just Wi-Fi tournaments or small ones. Regional and National ones that get hundreds to a thousand people per event.

I understand where visitor is coming from, I dont know him nor anything about the VGC.

But it seems quite a specific record, for "largest Competitive Pokemon Videogame Family."

I mean if they going to get that specific with records, then you think they have to do a good many records, like which pokemon was used most?

Last edited:
The article isn't correct. The title awarded (going off the certificate) is "most successful family of videogame Pokemon players". I would say that is correct for the reasons Aaron has mentioned.

I just wanted to post here, now that I can. Unfortunately, the article posted by the OP was way premature and didn't give enough information and seems to have caused some confusion.

The Guinness people came to us long before Worlds and said they were interested in our story. The story was going to be in the Gamers edition, so it was going to be about the video game only. They really liked that our entire family had qualified for and attended Worlds so many times. That's what they were going for; Worlds experience for the World Book of Records. They wanted a story on Pokemon and they wanted to play up the family angle. Yes, the record was made up, but honestly, so are most of the records in the book. I for one found it very compelling.

I completely get the love for Ray here and I have nothing but respect for him and his awesome accomplishment, but as I noted, this was all set in motion long before Ray won his second title.

Thanks to Firestorm and Prodigiosus for their supportive posts.

We have the 2008 edition. The focus of the entire book is on video games, with records for the fastest run through Legend of Zelda, Pokemon Red/Blue, the high score at Pac Man, etc. Since Pokemon is the highest/best selling RPG on the Nintendo DS/Gameboy/etc. it makes sense that the Guiness folks want to include something Pokemon in the book.

The 2008 edition also under the Trivia column on the Pokemon page mentions that the 2007 TCG World Champions are Jun Hasebe (Japan), Jeremy Scharff-Kim (USA) and Tom Roos (Finland.)

And Pokemon is the game series with the most spin-off movies, but you probably already knew that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back