Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Heroes DVD

Water Pokemon Master

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
Well, I got my Pokemon Heroes DVD after school today. After our Debate Club meeting, I came home around 8 and popped in the DVD and it said something like it wasn't compatible. I was then like "Nooooooo!" and then in anger smacked the DVD player and it started to work. :)

Anyways, about the "Special Features." Boy was I dissapointed. I thought the whole Location Scouting in Venice would be something special but all it was was some music and comparing scenes from the movie to the real Venice, which was about 2 minutes long. Most of the Animation Stages were like 5 seconds long, but there were some good ones. The "Characters of Pokemon Heroes" were simply 10 or so pictures each of Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Ariados, Espeon, Latias, and Latios. The "Pokemon Heroes Trivia Game" was of course easy, using the same format as the one from 4Ever. Unfortunately, there is no commentary with the movie this time. This will be the second time they haven't included one like with the 2nd movie, and I am wondering why they always not include one with the best movies. It's not fair!

Speaking of Pokemon 4Ever, the clip from the 1st movie DVD, and now this movie, they have added in that same introduction with Brock narrarating. They added some new sound effects and I could tell that Brock had redone the narraration since his voice was a bit different from the 4Ever one. I guess we won't be seeing this intro again since the next movie won't have Misty or those old outfits in it. Maybe they will make a new one with May and Max?

What I was really excited about was the remakes of the old Jukebox songs at the end of the movie. They bring back such good Season 1 and 2 memories that I am going to go hunt for the soundtrack as soon as possible. There was the "Pikachu, Ya know there is no other, I choose you" song, the "Pikachu Goodybe" song, and the "You will always be my best friend" song. I am sure (I hope) on the soundtrack they will have some other of the old songs remade.

As for the movie, great as usual, but a little short. Of course, the CG was great (whatever happened to that Oscar?) and the plot was okay. Since I had only seen the movie once in theatres, I forgot about some of the parts. The end with Latios dying or whatever it was doing was incredibly sad. But, since they showed Latios and Latias as well as the father Latios several times in the credits and at the end of the movie, I guess that means they are all alive.

Okay, I am going to go to bed and await my death since I have to take the Math final tomorrow. Stupid Math! This movie kind of made me feel happy, so I am going to watch it again when I wake up to put me in a good mood. :)

Actually those songs are on the pokemon 2B a master cd. I'm sure if you could find one it would be a heck of a lot cheaper then pokemon 5's

Actually, the first and last songs are from the credits are from the Pokemon Live! soundtrack. Good luck finding it (incidentally, if anyone has that CD, I'd really like it).

Did anyone else notice a color cast over the movie over the theatrical version. I find it somewhat annoying.

Overall, the music was okay. The Camp Pikachu song is no "Pikachu's Coming" (one of the most popular PIRN songs of 2003). I would have liked the movie to be somewhat longer with more interplay between the characters.

I think they rushed through adapting this movie to DVD. The mini movie was in wide screen (though I am not complaining), meaning they never had time to put it into full screen. Also, some of the quiz questions had horrible gramatical errors, and they called Oakley "evil."

I don't think they rushed through the DVD. Why? Because 4Kids proves they have no clue about what they're doing anymore. It's really no suprise that once again, this movie is in Full Screen instead of Wide Screen (it was originally Wide Screen in Japan and shows off more of the characters and such instead of being cut off like in Full Screen view). Because the Pikachu short was cut out from its original theatrical US release (which was a very small release anyways), it was placed onto the DVD in Wide Screen view. There most likely isn't any commentary because of how incredibly dumb the director's sounded during the 3rd movie's (they commented several times about how even their youngest children hated the puns they added and they had to check scripts several times to remember even the simplest names of certain Pokémon).

One thing that will always irk me is the lack of the original Japanese language in the DVD. I don't understand WHY they wouldn't do it. They release the DVD with English, Spanish and French..but not the original language? Makes no sense. Then come the "Extras". Not much to really say in the way of Extras except how they continue to make Pokémon look like it was targeted for small children. :\

What about the original music? Was there really a necessity to record over the original music and record their own score? It's not like they were going to release a soundtrack that would surely bomb like the first movie's did.

Ah well, enough of my ranting. If you haven't seen it and can put up with the dub, go ahead and watch it by all means. It is a fun movie to watch. But if you're picky about it, like I am, then it isn't something you should watch unless it were in Japanese.

mysterioustrainer said:
I finally figured who kissed Ash at the end of the film. It was Bianca.
I don't see how. Bianca usually wears a hat (though her hat was shown in the room just prior), and Latias had more of a "relationship" with Ash. Also, the kisser never talks. In the end, it just makes more sense that Latias, posing as Bianca, kissed Ash.

I think it was Latias. Why? Because she didn't talk, was making ignorant movements, and opened her mouth a few times without saying anything. The only counter I would have to this would be how did she get in the sky so fast with her father and brother? Meh, it was probably Latias since Bianca had no reason to kiss Ash.

As for the Japanese version, I wish they could have kept the original song for when they were racing. The American version was yuck, and did not fit with the racing. I also agree they should have a widescreen release of the movies, but they won't since little kids don't like the black bars.

Water Pokemon Master said:
I also agree they should have a widescreen release of the movies, but they won't since little kids don't like the black bars.
That has never seemed to stop Disney from doing so. They've always given you an options to view it in Wide of Fullscreen. Can't figure out why Miramax doesn't do it. After all, they're owned by Disney. Go Fig. :rolleyes:

The thing is, Miramax simply released the movie after it was dubbed and ready for theatrical release by 4Kids. 4Kids has been cropping everything lately (all five movies that are dubbed are in full screen while the latest Advance Generations episodes have been zoomed in on). If anyone's to blame, it's 4Kids.

I grabbed the last copy at my Target yesterday.

There were also around 2-1/2 to 3 minutes deleted from the beginning of the film, where the girls are looking at the book before they steal it.

On the Japanese DVD (...thank you eBay!) the movie begins with the story of how Latias and Latios became the guardians of Altomere is told, voiced-over by one of the girls (Annie/Oakley in the 4Kids translation). For the life of me, I can't see why this was deleted, unless 4Kids got scared over the style of artwork used to tell the story: the art is very stylized, and the human figures look like ancient Biblical-era figures. Too 'controversial'? =/ Or perhaps it was because Latios/Latias were described as mugen...limitless, boundless, endless, infinite, immeasurable, eternal...Pokémon. Translating kokoro...'mind', 'thought', 'heart', 'will'...as 'soul' is unfortunate, too =/

The 'hoedown' music in the Pikachu short is largely original, though I'll have to listen again to the opening song. The closing credits song (where the Pokemon are all line-dancing) is an instrumental version of "Pokutari Monsutari"; I believe it was used as closing credit background for the tv series at one time, too.

Add another vote for a widescreen option. I also agree that "Mesaze Pokemon Masutaa 2000" FIT the opening race scene so much better than the thing 4Kids put in there. And it was LATIAS who kissed Ash, not Bianca...

'mom

Last edited:
SD PokéMom said:
For the life of me, I can't see why this was deleted

It's nothing really shocking. 4Kids has been deleting several scenes that were worth about 2 to 3 minutes. And they were nothing offensive. I think they're doing it to keep up their editing skills..if you want to call it a skill. :\

Looking at what's been deleted, I doubt very much it's just some random choice of scene, since it's consistently been the (implied, at times) references to Japanese/Shinto/Buddhist spirituality that have been deleted or 'mistranslated' in all the 4Kids versions of the movies/anime...

'mom

That's true, but regarding the whole anime itself, they've been shortening everything by snipping away a few scenes. Though, I question if it was a choice of snipping away from any kinds of Asian culture due to the fact that the movie wasn't even advertised widely enough for anyone to really notice. :\ Usually 4Kids just writes over any references to God or anything of the sort (such was the case with calling Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres and Lugia the Titans of the Earth rather than the Gods of Ice, Lightning, Fire and Sea during the 2nd movie). Same applies with anything Japanese really (just how many different names will they give riceballs until little kids realize what were once called donuts now are being called sandwiches weeks later and look exactly the same?)

Went to buy it tonight at BJ's and they didn't have any copies.... :(

BJJ763 said:
Went to buy it tonight at BJ's and they didn't have any copies.... :(

I thought you owned them. ;)

I had to go to three stores to find it. The fourth store I went to had a poster for it but no DVDs.

I think this DVD is a step back from the Pokémon 4Ever DVD. I mean, the commentary track alone would have been a welcomed addition. I found the 4Ever commentary funny and interesting at times. Especially listening to the voice actors do some of the voices. The extras are also lacking.
I also am perturbed about no widescreen. When will they realize widescreen is the future, I mean TVs are already coming in widescreen. It won't be long now....

I'm dealing with probability-just because it could be Bianca doesn't mean it is, and the majority of the evidence says she wasn't.

Back