Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Platinum chapter 4

Chris calmly walked through the hallway listening to some music to boost his concentration, hoping that maybe he could defeat Jessica, and advance to the final championship round.
"If I let this chance pass by, I may never see it again..." Chris muttered to himself, then squinting a little from the bright sunlight of the arena, maybe he could surprise Jessica with his newfound prowess.
"Here is contestant #2 Chris challenging Jessica for the 4th place in the finals, now contenders take your places on the podium!" the announcer blared over the microphone.
Chris swallowed hard staring at the sky, and wondering whether he really stood a chance..
"OK BEGIN!!!"
Chris gripped one of his pokeballs tightly, lifted it from his belt, and was about to launch it with all his might, Jessica simply tossed hers.
"Ariel, take him out!" Jessica called out, and released a pokemon he had never seen before...
MIIIILOOWTIC! the pokemon called out "How do you like my newest pokemon? This came straight from Hoenn, and I hear it's a beast!" Jessica jeered.
Chris thought carefully before deciding to try Blade.
"Blade try your best!" He then tossed out his newly acquired Sceptile hoping that maybe he could score a critical hit.....
Sceptile hi the ground ready for action, Milotics just snaked around like a Cobra ready to strike..was this a sign? Something fore-warning him of just what it was exactly.
"Try an Ice Beam to start!" The strage snakelike pokemon straightened up, and fired off a blue beam hoping to KO Sceptile in one hit. Fortunately Chris's training paid off with Blade instinctively used Substitute to balck the attack, and escape damage.
"Man I'm glad I did that training in the deep woods, or I would be in a spot right now, Blade use Dragonbreathe!" Blade fired off a red-green colored flame that had minimal effect on the strange pokemon.
"What? It had hardly any effect?!?" Chris exclaimed.
"Of course Milotics has one of the highest Special Defense ratings in the pokemon world, I expected more from you Chris honestly....Milotic try your Dragonbreathe!"
Milotic then fired off the same red-green flame that broke Blade's copy depleting his Health by 1/4th.
"Maybe I can use this Substitute to my advantage....." Chris thought.
"If I can convince her that I'm losing then maybe I can catch her off guard..YESS Ill try it!"
Chris now had a confident, reassured look on his face that puzzled, and somewhat troubled Jessica.
"Has he figured out Ariel's weakness?"She asked herself.
"No it can't be, he's never even seen this pokemon before...Ariel Hypnosis"
Blade almost feel to Ariel sleep spell, but used Substitute just in time.
"Ariel Ice Beam!" Milotic fired another blue beam that broke Blade's copy reducing his health by another fourth. "Right into my trap..."Chris thought.
Checking his pokedex he noticed Sceptiles HP was just above 35%enough for one more copy, but first he would weaken Milotic just a bit....
"Blade Leech Seed now!" Blade tried to fire seeds from its back, but was interrupted by a dragonbreath that sent it reeling.
"Great exactly 1% health, not Blade's Leaf Blade should be triple strength, Leaf Blade now!"
Blade straightened up, and lashed out with his sharp leaves on his arm striking Milotic in just the right spot resulting in a rapid KO.
"..................." Jessica could say nothing at all she was just speechless.
"Return...Ariel." She said weakly, tears were brimming in her eyes.
"Jessica whats wrong, just choose another pokemon. oh!" Chris noticed that she had no more pokemon on her belt, so that was why Jessica had been overconfident in her skills, and only brought Milotic!
*The match goes to Chris, and his tenacious Sceptile!!!* The announcer blared once again.
Jessica tearfully walked down from the podium, and from his place Chris looked into the stands, and saw Kessie's boyfriend glaring at him, He just returned a smirk,a nd turned to recieve his prize for entering the finals.

"Whew!" Chris sat down exhausted from running. "YIPE!" Chris hopped up to see he had sat on Arcanine's tail. "Sorry boy, here's some food as my apology."
Staring at his Cell Phone he wondered if he really wanted to call.....
"Hey Chris!!" Chris looked up to see his cousin Brittany.
"Yo gurl, how you doing? I haven't seen you since you left for Johto 4 years ago!"
"I've been training my pokemon, and I've gotten a lot better wanna see?" She asked.
Chris thought about it for a minute before declining. "Nah, I've got a finals match, and I have to conserve all my strength for it..." Chris looked off into space thinking about the opponent that lay ahead...Vega!
Chris knew that Vega had been training in some remote location to increase his fighting prowess, and he new that he would need to pull out alll the stops to win..if he could.
"Chris!!!" Brittany's voice snapped him back into realiy.
"What?" Chris said.
"You think you can win?"
Chris thought a minute. "Brittany for the first time, I'm not really sure at all.."
Brittany gasped."Chris?,but you've always been sure of yourself."
Chris knew deep down that Vega would most likely win, but held on to the hope that maybe he could pull through....
Standing on near the podium Chris took a deep breath wondering that his plan would backfire. They were fighting in a water arena which resembled a large aquarium which he had seen at amusement parks, but was littered with huge, half-way sunken rocks, and one large rock briidge connecting them.

"This is it, the day we've been waiting for, or something," David ended with a little joke as he and Jessica stepped upto Chris who was wating beside the trainer platforms for his final match of the tournament. He'd gone undefeated until this point, and while a sort of "I was going to lose eventually" panic was beginning to grip him, Kessie felt confident that he'd win against his next opponent,
"Have you actually decided on whether winning or being a good loser is better?" she asked nonchalantly.
Chris shrugged. "Well, if I need to do it I will, or I'll lose, no reason to really hold back."
She nodded. "That's what I thought, but Carmen was chanting 'do it do it do it' so I figured I might as well ask."
"And now, for the last match of this year's White Rose Tournament Championship, it's newcomers Chris Woodard versus Vega Auskura!" The announcer shouted a bit too loudly.
As he announced this, "Trainers do you have your 6 pokemon ready?"
"And start!" The announcer declared.
"Go, Bruce!" Vega opened with his water-type who swam around the arena to warm up.
"Sparky!" Chrisl opted for his electric-type starter. Raichu appeared one on of the floating rocks.
"It looks like Vega is opening with one of his rare Pokémon," the announcer declared and simultaneously introduced Sparky as well. "The evolution of Pikachu, not many are currently known to have either."
"Lucky for us," Travis mentioned.
"Go, Bruce, Take Down!" Vega ordered. Bruce lept from the water with its jaws wide open.
"Raichu, jump to a different rock!" Chris shouted.
Sparky ducked down under its large jaws, and used its tail as a spring to launch itself.
Vega seemed slightly impressed by this show of agility, but it would take a lot more than this to even slow him down.
"Bruce, Skull Bash!"
Sharpedo swam in a circle a few times before going full speed at Raichu's rock, parting the water as he went, Raichu once again jumped to a different rock.
Sharpedo's blunt force shattered thhe rock like it was clay. It was then Chris chose to attack. "Sparky use half of your power to use Thunderbolt on the surface!"
The mouse curled into a ball in mid-air, and released several good-sized bolts of lightning into the water which amplified its amps making it twice as powerful.
Bruce floated up to the surface, it clearly had fainted.
Vega recalled it, and released Cerberus his Houndoom.
"Cerberus, Smokescreen!" Vega tried a diversionary tactic. The smoke filled up the arena as Houndoom squatted down and then jumped up, but it was hard to see through the smog.
Sparky looked around confused, and trying to get a glimpse of its opponent.
Houndoom deftly lept from rock to rock jump at Raichu, and tried an Iron Tail attack, and it squarely hit Raichu, but did not have much effect. Raichu though knocked into the water shrugged it off, and swam to a different rock.
Then Chris noticed the smog had lifted.
"Taunt Houndoom!" Chris shouted. Raichu called out something to Houndoom, who seemed quite offended by whatever it was that Raichu had just said. Carmen looked equally miffed. "These guys are good." she thought.
Vega smirked. "Houndoom, Overheat!"
"Jump it!" Chris shouted. Raichu nimbly leapt over the oncoming pillar of flame that impacted the ground near where it had just been, reducing the rock to a small, steaming ball of lava that hardened soon after it sank through a curtain of steam.
"It's no use," Chris called over. "Sparky, Focus Punch!"
Raichu closed its eyes for a mintute then began leaping over the water, Houndoom began charging up a Solarbeam, but did not get the time.
Raichu clenched its fist and slammed it into Houndoom, sending the dog to the ground, twitching. Vega grumbled and switched it out for a Forretress. Chris did not like where this was going—he'd never liked tank Pokémon, they were always impossible to take down.
By now the crowd was going wild as well as fickle cheering for one contender one minute, and the opposite the next, but it was clear that Chris had an advantage.
"Forretress, Spikes on Raichu!" Vega called out a utilizing a strategy Chris didn't quite know.
Not knowing quite what to do, he tried the first thing that came to mind. "Sparky, Surf!"
Raichu hunched over on all fours and, despite being hit by one of Forretress's flying spikes, sent a large large wave at Forretress who countered with a Rapiid Spin decreasing some of the damage.
"Forretress, Earthquake!" Vega ordered.
Forretress houvered off the ground then dropped onto the arena seafloor causing a large shockwave to resonate creating a sort of tsunami wave that impacted Raichu as it began to fire a broken jolts of electricity at it.
Sparky was down for the count Chris knew, so deided to go a different path, and replaced it with Sally his Salamence.
"Sally, Fire Blast attack!" he smirked. Vega felt a bit of impatience well up inside him."These two are going down now."
"Forretress!, Spikesand Rapid Spin at the same time!"
Forretress, seeming a bit confused with the order, tried its best as it rapidly spun around firing spikes in every direction Salamence was knocked back, almost out of the arena, and was cut in several places.
"Sally, Dragon Dance, then Fire Blast!" Chris shouted. Salamence's dance helped it to evade the other oncoming projectiles.
"Substitute!" Vega ordered calmly. Instead of a small, baby-Kangaskhan-looking doll, a large hunk of steel appeared in front of Forretress just before the wave of fire struck it and shattered the thing. Forretress still hovered just above the ground, slightly burned but still conscious.
"Get over there!" Travis shouted. "Attack it!"
"Not so fast," Vega smiled calmly. " Forretress, Explosion!"
Forretress suddenly and without any charging whatsoever or any other form of preamble, exploded violently. It was a large spherical explosion that became after a few seconds a billowing mushroom cloud in the center of the arena. The flash of the explosion was nearly blinding, and Alex was blinking and shaking his head madly to clear the disorientation and general uneasiness that came with looking at a bright flash. The sound was another matter. It sounded like the Wrath of God meets the Wrath of King Kamehameha, only louder. His ears rung and rung from the sound. The thing was powerful, almost unnaturally so.
As Chris's vision came back, he saw the devastation that Claydol had wrought with its suicidally powerful attack.
Forretress itself was lying where it had exploded from, on the ground in a pile, and he thought it looked conscious, but he was no expert on Steel-types.
Salamence had been blown back into the short support brace that held the trainer platform aloft from the arena itself, unconscious from the impact. He hadn't heard anything, but that explosion had been very loud. A purplish bruise on the Sally's lower leg showed where it had struck the brace. he suspected the dragon's arm was broken from the impact, but he'd have no way of knowing until he saw the Nurse.

Last edited:
Vega next led with his Absol which Chris thought a little ironic seeing since his 2 best pokemon were gone he may lose. After pondering the situation for a minute he chose Arcanine, who let out a majestic roar causing Absol to cringe. Chris noticed something strange, but couldn't quite point it out.
Vega commanded Absol to begin with a Snatch, who began exuding a bluish white aura, Chris much to his own dismay he had led with Howl allowing Absol to steal it, and boost its own offensive capabilities. Thinking not much of it Chris commanded Arcanine to use a Fire Blast attack, which Absol dodged without much trouble, but further damaged the bridge linking the two sides that had already taken enough punishment. Not thinking as much as he should Chris attacked with another Fire Blast which completely destroyed it, sending chunks of rock everywhere.
It was then he noticed he was all out of PP for Fire Blast.
"Whats the matter Chris?"Vega jeeringly inquired."You don't seem to be on the ball today."
Chris sighed. the strange aura Absol continued to exude made even the most basic actions harder to perform.
"Scrappy, close in to use Extremespeed!" trying to make up for his mistake earlier.
Arcanine lunged at Absol who deftly dodged it with grace, and returned the favor with a Slash, Scrappy was caught off guard, and was ferociously slashed head-on, and yelped in pain before slumping to the ground.
Chris was now on the ropes, and the score was tied at 3-3, so he had to make a good decision, and chose Blade. He released Sceptile from the ball, and commanded it to use Leech Seed.
"Swords Dance now! Vega shouted, the dance allowed Absol to evade the seeds.
"Blade use your signature move, Leaf Blade!" he shouted. Sceptile's leaves began glowing, and it charged at Absol to deliver a critical blow, but was met with a punishing Aerial Ace attack which brought it to its knees.
At this point Kessie was on the edge of her seat hoping that Chris would pull through. Damien on the other hand continued to glare at him.
"It don't know what you see in him." he said nonchalantly.
Kessie loked at him a little taken aback. "What?"
"I mean look he's not even that good, he's losing."
"They're tied! To top it all off Vega Askura is one of the strongest trainers in the league!" Kessie yelled.
"In case you did'nt see it, he trounced n Lorelei of the Elite 4!"
Travis look over at the two of them arguing, he got a bad vibe from Damien, and to be honest didn't like hi to much.
Biting his thumbnail Chris recalled the hurt pokemon, and made a risky decision.
"Gyarados show me what you really can do!"
releasign his Master Ball into the air, and revealed a larger than normal, red Gyarados.
Chris knew this was a risk seeing as how he rescued Gyarados from an stage 2 shadow pokemon lab, it may disobey him, but he was confident he had trained it enough.
"WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAHR!"
It went through its usual intimidation manuvueres, and was about to let off a tidal wave, until..
Leaping up to Gyarados' face in a single bound, the limber, wickedly-clawed Pokémon slashed at the dragon's eyes. Gyarados shook his head furiously to try and repel the blows, but failed.
"Gyarados, Dragon Dance!" Alex ordered. The dance served three purposes. First, it gave both Gyarados a slight advantage in terms of speed, and offensive power. Second, it swirled the water around it, and would later, hopefully, provide for some quickfrictiononce the water started full force. Third, since Gyarados had to move about to dance anyhow, it was an evasive manoeuvre that deterred Absol slightly.
"Absol, Agility!" Vega ordered. The pokemon ran around the edges of the arena, in an effort to confuse the leviathan, and it worked to an extent.
"Absol, keep up the assault!" he yelled.
Chris gritted his teeth in frustration, if Gyarados fell then it would be over for him.
"Gyarados, Hydro Pump!" Chris yelled for the attack that would finish off Absol.
Or, rather, he would have, if Absol hadn't chosen that opportunity to slash Gyarados about the middle. A few shiny red scales flew off and Gyarados howled in pain. Snarling, the dragon coiled around Absol, blocking the thing from getting away. Without orders, it bashed it with its tail, and held it underwater for a little, until Absol managed to get away. Now the wound began bleeding.
"Oh no, he's disobeying me." Chris thought. "I thought I trained him better than this."
"Stop flailing around, just use Hydro Pump!"
Gyarados shot Chris a darker-than-Gyarados-normal look, but flailed its usual firing motion nonetheless. A torrent of water erupted from its mouth and flooded the arena, nearly soaking both sets of trainers, and gushing into the rest of the stadium, but it also knocked Absol into the water.
Though, not surprisingly, it simply swam with the aquaticgrace of a Vaporeon. Chris cursed Vega under his breath for a moment.
Chris chose this moment to use another Dragon Dance, once again Gyarados went through its usual choreography, the water began churning more fiercely proving difficult for even Absol to swim in.
Vega commanded Absol to fire off a Razor Wind to which Gyarados countered with a flick of its tail sending a wall of water at Absol. It was caught off guard, and lept back.
"Now Gyarados!" He yelled. "Look Out!!"Vega warned, but it was to late.
Absol looked up to see Gyarados' head emerge from the wall of water, and spewed another torrent of water sending Absol into the far wall.
"I've met only few people who have felled Absol," Vega said with the air of a man who was reaching the limits of his patience. "Lance Fuijianko, famous for his Red Gyarados and Dragonites, and now you although you don't fight as well as him, though. Go, Gengar! Shadow Ball!"
For a split second, Chris thought he had ordered Shadow Rush but he reminded himself belatedly that Shadow Ball was not that move. Gengar still hit Gyarados with startling force, cconfirming his suspicion that all of Vega's Pokémon were unnaturally strong. Could this man truly have beaten The League Champion? Chris didn't answer himself. "Did he truly reach some new, superhuman state of mind?"
"Gyarados, Hydro Pump it!" Chris shouted.
Vega smirked. "Night Shade!"
Gengar took the hits and floated back into the air, but it raised its arms up and brought them down, casting shadows on Gyarados , wracking it with darkness.
"Gyarados! Hydro Pump again!"
Gengar again took the hits a bit too eagerly. Chris saw what Vega was doing.
"Gengar! Destiny Bond!" There it was, Gengar's expected attack.
As the spotlights emitted by Gengar's hands enveloped its opponent, he couldn't see any easy opening. He stood silent for a moment, looking at the water and at Gengar, trying to think of a way out of this situation.
"Gyarados Hydro Pump, then dive under!" Chris shouted quite decisively. Travis blinked at his confidence.
The blast hit Gengar across the face, knocking the ghost Pokémon to the ground. As Gengar hit, a bright light shone from the ghost at Gyarados, who proceeded to dive out of harms way. as the light struck the swirling water around it and dissipated.
"You're a crazy son of a gun," Travis yelled, and shook his head, laughing and disbelieving, at Chris.
Jake laughed with him. "I was wondering if that really worked."
Ramona was licking her lips in anticipation of a post tourney get-together with Chris, she pushed her breasts together to show a little more cleavvage.
Carmen lokoed at her before commenting."My god girl, is that all you think about."
Ramona just smirked, and looked back toward the arena.

Last edited:
Back