Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Population Change?!?!? New Rulings?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommynguyen

On my first CC i went to which was in fountain valley, i saw something very odd and strange.... That would be..... The population... It was my first Premier Event i went to so i dont know if im wrong or not, but it seemed to have decrease from last year Fountain Valley CC, which was one of my first. It was one of my funnest time ever last year since i started, the atmosphere was great, with lots of friendly people helping me out, and encouraging me to play, but this year was different. Everyone was competitive and eager to win. They didnt even care to show good sportmanship anymore when i beated them or the other way around. Only 3 rounds were played in the 11-14 in CA, which seemed very strange, since CA has one of the greates population for pokemon players, or is the greatest.... This all led to my conclusion. I think the new ruling is not fair. I cant totally remember the new rule for making it to worlds, but i think i know a couple of details... Only a certain number of people can go to worlds, counting by their ranking. Now lets say if your a totally new player who just started playing... Do you even thinkk you can go to worlds? I would say no. As a beginner last year i stank. But there were people who helped me out and they were friendly, so thats why i didnt quit. I know you maybe saying, hey your wrong!! pokemon is to have fun!! But no, im not, the new ruling made people more competitve, and all they want to do is win! Now they would be happy to snipe of any new players, and say HA! I know this isnt true for everyone, and some people are still playing for the fun of it. So, i just wanted to know how you guys as other TCG player feel about this years change....

I hope this didnt affend anyone in any way, i just felt it was important to mention this to you guys

If you want to know something very spectacular, that probably wont happen again thia year read this >>http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40483

Last edited:
Yup!
I assumed that this problem would arise in many places.
I always go to tournaments to win. BUT I am not the kind of guy who is really uptight and never has fun. I always have loads of fun and make the best of all my tournaments. Sadly, with the new rule, I doubt I will make it to worlds. Simply because I can't travel a lot. I am fairly consistent with always doing fairly well at tourneys, but I just don't have the chance to travel around the state. BUT for people who do travel a lot I can see this game becoming VERY competitive. 1 bad tournament can just ruin your ranking, so for those people who are determined to make it to worlds they are probably going to take this game VERY seriously. It is a a sad thing, but there is nothing you can really do. The competition is as fierce as ever. And for those people who do have a good chance they are going to be playing every game as if it was their last.

I always go to tournaments to win. BUT I am not the kind of guy who is really uptight and never has fun. I always have loads of fun and make the best of all my tournaments. Sadly, with the new rule, I doubt I will make it to worlds. Simply because I can't travel a lot. I am fairly consistent with always doing fairly well at tourneys, but I just don't have the chance to travel around the state.

MY thoughts exactly. I have been to worlds teh past 2 years, but seriosuly doubt it now.

At the CC's I went to it seemed to be a mixture of compatitive people who only wanted to win and then there was the group of people who knew they had no chance and were just having fun. All the people at the CC I went to were nice but once the round started the fun for some people seemed to end.

tommynguyen: What you said also kind of goes along with what I said in the factions thread. Is that I think people should help other people out because it makes it more fun. Especially for other people.

Professor Elm said:
Yup!
I assumed that this problem would arise in many places.
I always go to tournaments to win. BUT I am not the kind of guy who is really uptight and never has fun. I always have loads of fun and make the best of all my tournaments. Sadly, with the new rule, I doubt I will make it to worlds. Simply because I can't travel a lot. I am fairly consistent with always doing fairly well at tourneys, but I just don't have the chance to travel around the state. BUT for people who do travel a lot I can see this game becoming VERY competitive. 1 bad tournament can just ruin your ranking, so for those people who are determined to make it to worlds they are probably going to take this game VERY seriously. It is a a sad thing, but there is nothing you can really do. The competition is as fierce as ever. And for those people who do have a good chance they are going to be playing every game as if it was their last.
I agree!!

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

DragonairMaster8 said:
MY thoughts exactly. I have been to worlds teh past 2 years, but seriosuly doubt it now.
same, i might have to grind.

Last edited:
DragonairMaster8 said:
Yup.
I think that the FAMILIES that play have a much better chance because it is a family affair and the parents are more than happy to drive to tourneys out of city.
I get to go to some tourneys out of city, BUT some people are attending cities EVERY SINGLE WEEK. I only wish I could do that, then I might stand a chance.

BlackViper said:
At the CC's I went to it seemed to be a mixture of compatitive people who only wanted to win and then there was the group of people who knew they had no chance and were just having fun. All the people at the CC I went to were nice but once the round started the fun for some people seemed to end.

tommynguyen: What you said also kind of goes along with what I said in the factions thread. Is that I think people should help other people out because it makes it more fun. Especially for other people.
Very true, thats how i am today, playing pokemon but maybe not any longer

Professor Elm said:
Yup.
I think that the FAMILIES that play have a much better chance because it is a family affair and the parents are more than happy to drive to tourneys out of city.
I get to go to some tourneys out of city, BUT some people are attending cities EVERY SINGLE WEEK. I only wish I could do that, then I might stand a chance.
I'm trying to go every, why you may ask? You may think this is a little funny, but my little brother wants to be the pokemon master. Like in that pokemon theme song. http://pokemon.com/flash.asp *sings tune* "i wanna be the very best! That no one ever was, to catch them as my......." All that is left in pokemon for me is to fulfill my little brothers dream. Luckily he won the first CC and he went undefeated all the way :clap:

Last edited:
Yup.

Last year i was LUCKY enough to go to south carolina for a GC, but thats only because my mom felt bad that i had made T2 the week before and was 1 card away from winning. I wotn be abel to do that this year, and wont get to see all of my friends from online this year b/.c of it. If the game continues to be like this (the rich that get to travel rule), JUST LIEK YUGIOH, TEH GAME I QUIT TO PLAY THIS BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS FAIRER, i will be forced to no longer continue this game. I'll find soem otehr hobby that can be fun, i can have friends with, and is fair for EVERYONE.

JMHO,
DM8

DragonairMaster8 said:
Last year i was LUCKY enough to go to south carolina for a GC, but thats only because my mom felt bad that i had made T2 the week before and was 1 card away from winning. I wotn be abel to do that this year, and wont get to see all of my friends from online this year b/.c of it. If the game continues to be like this (the rich that get to travel rule), JUST LIEK YUGIOH, TEH GAME I QUIT TO PLAY THIS BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS FAIRER, i will be forced to no longer continue this game. I'll find soem otehr hobby that can be fun, i can have friends with, and is fair for EVERYONE.

JMHO,
DM8
Yes, thats what im trying to point out too, the rich will get richer!! :nonono:

I am probably the most vocal advocate for a larger Worlds. So listen up...

Worlds was the biggest party of the year, it's what all players watched and strived to be in. PUI reduced it in the hope that Nationals would then become the biggest party for each individual Country. Even after 2 months, it is obvious that this IS NOT WORKING. When was the last time you saw a serious discussion about Nationals? What about Worlds? Do you think the dozen(ish) threads that have been started about Ratings and Rankings Questions are about winning an invite to Nationals?

By making it harder to get into Worlds, PUI has automatically created a much tougher level of competition. And every single match turns into a must-win situation.

You can't have 2 winners in each game. Someone will end up losing, and someone will (most likely) end up not happy with the result.

So here's a Psych/Soc question for all you majors out there: What takes precedence? A persons image of themself, or the Spirit of the Game?

tommynguyen said:
Now lets say if your a totally new player who just started playing... Do you even thinkk you can go to worlds?
When has that ever been true?

Flaming_Spinach said:
So here's a Psych/Soc question for all you majors out there: What takes precedence? A persons image of themself, or the Spirit of the Game?
Do you think POP has policies that contradict SotG?

Flaming_Spinach said:
I am probably the most vocal advocate for a larger Worlds. So listen up...

Worlds was the biggest party of the year, it's what all players watched and strived to be in. PUI reduced it in the hope that Nationals would then become the biggest party for each individual Country. Even after 2 months, it is obvious that this IS NOT WORKING. When was the last time you saw a serious discussion about Nationals? What about Worlds? Do you think the dozen(ish) threads that have been started about Ratings and Rankings Questions are about winning an invite to Nationals?

By making it harder to get into Worlds, PUI has automatically created a much tougher level of competition. And every single match turns into a must-win situation.

You can't have 2 winners in each game. Someone will end up losing, and someone will (most likely) end up not happy with the result.

tougher competition.... I think they're going at this the wrong way, some people said, that the new rulings is to save money, but im pretty sure they're just tying to toughen things up a little bit, but they have not thought about the beginners.... How will they face such fierce challenges? As i watched my brother play through his rounds, i saw disapointment through their faces. I even saw someone tried to cheat, but my bro and i kept a sharp eye out so he wouldnt dare. Have you ever heard of little kids cheating???!!?? This is a first for me. And when he won that CC all the faces that watched him was in dispair, and some of them even cried, which is a normal thing, but what they said, left me in awe, "mommy, i'll never win anything, and it will be hard for me to even come close to worlds" These werent the exact words, but it was praticcally the same. So now, im asking, why? Why must they change the rules, its way too rough and serious now, no one is having fun anymore... :frown:

ninetales1234 said:
When has that ever been true?

Do you think POP has policies that contradict SotG?
Yes it has, one person i know, is me. Why? Because i have friends, who help me out in tough times. When i lost my exs at gym that year (last year) i was so upset that i would just want to fall back on the ground and just sit there, but then one of my friend came and pulled me up, and sayed "dont give up, trust me" So i listened. And guess what?? i made top 4 in grinder :confused: So it is true

Also someone said the same thing to me during my 5th round, if you want to know more about it scroll down to the fifth round http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40483

Last edited:
Honestly, these posts have been annoying me on the gym lately..

Why do you need someone else in order to have a good time? Why do you care or need a certain enviroment in order to have fun? You can save all that.

Let me ask you a question, did you do anything to help what you thought was wrong? Did you go over to small kids or new kids who didnt know how to play and try to teach them how to play? Did you do anything to help the state of things? Sorry, but I'm a little annoyed with people in general in the world who says something should be done a certain way and do nothing about it. Next cc you go to, at least try to create a pleasant atmosphere if thats what you want, if you choose not to, dont come on the gym and complain about it.

And if you did make an effort to change the enviroment, you can disregard this entire post.

Skull Bash said:

Why do you need someone else in order to have a good time? Why do you care or need a certain enviroment in order to have fun? You can save all that.

Let me ask you a question, did you do anything to help what you thought was wrong? Did you go over to small kids or new kids who didnt know how to play and try to teach them how to play? Did you do anything to help the state of things? Sorry, but I'm a little annoyed with people in general in the world who says something should be done a certain way and do nothing about it. Next cc you go to, at least try to create a pleasant atmosphere if thats what you want, if you choose not to, dont come on the gym and complain about it.

And if you did make an effort to change the enviroment, you can disregard this entire post.

I would like to help people but Im not good enough to teach them how to actually be good. I can teach them the game and stuff but thats about it. I mean the better players are the ones who should help teach the new players how to play. I just started playing the game again after a long break (about 5 years) and I've been trying to learnt the game again and become good again. Im going to CC's for this reason. I thought CC's would help me become better and I would get help from othere people. I can tell that Im getting better because of CC's but Im not getting much advice from other people on how to improve my deck or anything. I wish I knew wat CC's were like last year as they sounded more fun.

Also I was wondering since I went 2-4 at my first CC's am I basically doomed forevere to not be in worlds or does it not count after this season.

BlackViper said:
Also I was wondering since I went 2-4 at my first CC's am I basically doomed forevere to not be in worlds or does it not count after this season.

Your ranking resets each season. If you don't do well enough to qualify for Worlds this year, it will not reflect on your ranking the next year.

The cities tournament in my area was the first organized play I've been able to do for pokemon here. Luckily it was at the card game store I'm a regular at anyway so getting there was no problem. What i found odd is how many people seemed to have come out of the woodwork for the cities tournament (over 30), while attempts to get any regular play at the same store have failed miserably.

It feels almost as if there's only 2 populations of people going to them..those that are going just to win multiple cities tournaments and those who's only concern is winning at larger tournaments (at least in my -91' bracket) Expected to a certain degree sure, but jeez..sadly enough, the cities tournament wasn't fun for me at all until i got paired against other regulars at the game store who were playing just to have fun basically (i did as i knew i would regardless of course..being the only player to have gone 0-4 in the tournament) attitudes seemed to be all business..to the point and rule-strict

Skull Bash said:

I'm not complaining about anything, im just saying the atmosphere changed cause some of the new rulings.

Charizardian said:
I thought having fun meant winning....
Maybe it is :wink:

BlackViper said:
I would like to help people but Im not good enough to teach them how to actually be good. I can teach them the game and stuff but thats about it. I mean the better players are the ones who should help teach the new players how to play. I just started playing the game again after a long break (about 5 years) and I've been trying to learnt the game again and become good again. Im going to CC's for this reason. I thought CC's would help me become better and I would get help from othere people. I can tell that Im getting better because of CC's but Im not getting much advice from other people on how to improve my deck or anything. I wish I knew wat CC's were like last year as they sounded more fun.

Yes, we all would appreciate to help, them, and i do.

SuperWooper said:
Your ranking resets each season. If you don't do well enough to qualify for Worlds this year, it will not reflect on your ranking the next year.
MM thats not the problem... the the problem is, the new players dont get a chance at all to even play. Last year, me as a new player did have fun, but not anymore, and with all the competitive people, i doubt they can even help.

Rhale said:
The cities tournament in my area was the first organized play I've been able to do for pokemon here. Luckily it was at the card game store I'm a regular at anyway so getting there was no problem. What i found odd is how many people seemed to have come out of the woodwork for the cities tournament (over 30), while attempts to get any regular play at the same store have failed miserably.

It feels almost as if there's only 2 populations of people going to them..those that are going just to win multiple cities tournaments and those who's only concern is winning at larger tournaments (at least in my -91' bracket) Expected to a certain degree sure, but jeez..sadly enough, the cities tournament wasn't fun for me at all until i got paired against other regulars at the game store who were playing just to have fun basically (i did as i knew i would regardless of course..being the only player to have gone 0-4 in the tournament) attitudes seemed to be all business..to the point and rule-strict
Yup, your one of my examples, as a player who has no fun or joy in pokemon anymore.

Last edited:
Flaming_Spinach said:
No. If you go 4-2 at the next tournament, you should be very close to the starting point 1600.

One bad tournament does not ruin your entire chance for the season.

Please read this article for more details: http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42840

1600 isn't even close to a chance at worlds. I'm beating myself up for only being 1668 after two cities.

And yeah, I'm one of those new players who started this August, and I'm already serious about trying to make worlds. Am I supposed to be happy with two top cuts? If the invite system wasn't like this, sure, but as it stands, I'm very dissapointed. Every game does count... sucks it had to turn out this way.

Sure it's fun... until you can't draw your way out of a paper bag.

Actually it still is fun chilling with people before the tourney and during downtime. The least fun part is actually playing every game, with a do or die mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back