Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Pronouncinations

Deoxys is pronounced De-ox-sis not de-ox-sees, too.

EDIT: If you watch Desinty Deoxys, you can listen to how they prounce those names to figure out how they're pronounced.

Last edited:
"Ray" as in the sun's rays.
"Qua" as in quadirelateral (sp?).
"Za" as in zuh, kind of like duh but with a z.

I hate how they pronounced it in Deoxys. I thought it was just totally wrong. I am glad though that Deoxys' name sounded like I wanted it to. :)

deoxys should be pronounced

dee-ox-seeze

not this

dee-ox-sis

crap, how does y sound like i... w/e im still gonna pronounce it however i want

Last edited:
Actually, 'y' is pronounced like an 'i' more often than 'e'. Usually when there's an 'e'-sound it's because there's an 'e' before the 'y' as in smiley.
One example would be system. Deoxys (Although I know that in many languages, like Spanish, y is pronounced ee, but it's still the same sound as the letter 'i' for that language)
Dee-ox-seez would be spelled, Deoxes, like in parentheses.

Just coming from a strict English language pronunciation standpoint I would say
Dee-ox-sis
and Rei-kwa-zuh

"Skep" as in skepticle.
"tile" as in reptile.

"Meg" as in Megan.
"Gain" as in gain.
"E" as in the letter.
"Um" as in ummmm.

Water Pokemon Master said:
"Skep" as in skepticle.
"tile" as in reptile.

"Meg" as in Megan.
"Gain" as in gain.
"E" as in the letter.
"Um" as in ummmm.

Umm...you're half right. It's "sep" as in Sceptre, not skep

Ey wha?

There's a k in there. How is it silent? I think it should be "Skep-tile," not "Sep-tile." Why do you think it is like that?

Hmmm, I see what you guys mean. I guess we won't find out for at least another year, since Sceptile has not been in the Anime yet.

And of course, I still have a friend who says ∏-cash-you instead of Pee-ka-chew. Don't know how that happened...

Last edited:
Well it all goes back to the puns in the names.

Let's see:

Rayquaza. I've pronounced it ray-KWA-zuh, but after hearing it pronounced ray-KWAY-zuh in the movie, I think I'll switch because it's Ray as in beams and stuff, and Qua as in quasars (something that has to do with science, I think--and you pronounce that "Qua" as you would the word "way"). With that in mind, quasar's syllable should be the right fit, regardless of spelling, since it is a pun. Which would have to sound right, but not be necessarily spelled right.

Deoxys. We all know it's a shortened for of DNA's full form. With that in mind, it should be pronounced dee-OX-ees, since in deoxyri... you get the "I" sound and not a hiss sound. But I like to go with whatever the animé says, like with *moan* Illumise--ee-loom-EE-zay. And in this case, I have gotten used to dee-OX-sis.

And with Sceptile, all I have to do is ask: how do you pronounce Scepter?

I always figured the name "Sceptile" was the combination of "scent" and "reptile", so silent c.

Also, Metagross should be with a long O, like, well, "gross", and not with a short O like "on".

Deoxys... I've switched back and forth between the two pronunciations, but "sees" makes more sense, since it's named after deoxyribonucleic acid.

For some reason, I've always pronounced Piloswine like "pillow-swine". Don't know why, especially since I heard the pronunciation on TV that made a little more sense.

And while not exactly a pronuncation issue, I've seen at least one person assert that "Mewtwo" was actually two words. I can sorta understand why, but when it's officially printed as one word... that's the part I don't get.

Poh-Tay-Toh. :tongue:

Last edited:
Back