Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon TCG: An Enduring Competitive Pursuit?

drrty byl

The business model for the Pokemon Trading Card Game closely resembles MLM (Multi-Level Marketing). Cards are sold to regional affiliates who then re-sell the product to consumers at pre-releases and other special events, and work to generate local interest in the game, often without receiving a salary or other direct remuneration from the company itself. This is not necessarily a negative aspect in its own right; seeing as Nintendo delivers a tangible product to its affiliates and customers, which both groups obviously enjoy and reap benefits from.

Much of the need for this model is built upon the company's ongoing desire to generate revenue. Without a competitive format that ensures the obsolescence of aging sets and a player base hungry for new game elements and mechanics, fans might not have a reason to purchase newly printed cards. Would the game be as exciting, efficient, or popular without relying on the MLM-driven model? Would it be possible for Nintendo to sustain interest and event turnout without using this strategy: simply by running large paid-for events and retailing product directly to the consumer market?

This topic is not meant to offend or raise concern -- clearly we've all been hooked by the game (it's a blast), but begs a more serious question for the fanatic in each and every player and volunteer: will the game exist in a competitive capacity once Nintendo no longer deems it profitable? Will the competitive Pokemon TCG live on in the spirit of chess, poker, or boggle without a lucrative component for its publisher?

most likely. if nintendo ever discontinues pokemon TCG, another group will probaly either buy the rights, or wait for the copyright to expire, then copyright it themselves. even if nobody makes cards for forever and ever after:)eek:), there will still be a active trading and selling market going on. packs of cards will start selling for $10 apiece:)eek:). if they ever discontinue pokemon TCG, that will be a very sad day indeed.:frown::frown::frown:

I think the fanbase is large enough that at the least, there will likely be fan sites where you can play, and inevitably, people will make cards as well. Consider that for the longest time, the Pokemon video games received little, if no, support at all, despite it being their source for the rest of Pokemon. Yet, people made online simulators for battling, and it thus lived in that way.

Your comparison to MLMs in flawed in a number of ways, but besides that, the contrast of a large, volunteer-like base of TOs and a centralized event staff is a valid one.
In fact, both exist in the Pokemon world.
Japan uses the centralized model, with Creatures and PCL staff running all official events.

Japan is a bit different than the US, however. Both have similar population size, but Japan's is concentrated in an area roughly the size of California and also has an amazing transit system that makes it easy for players to get around to all the various events.

In contrast, the US (and rest of the world!) covers a much larger area, much of it with poorer public transportation.

Japan has more "large" events than we have, however, they have virtually none of the smaller official events that we have. There is a bit of a trade-off there.
Also, the budget needed to pay for those larger, centrally-run events is more than what POP has to spend by making use of all the volunteers that effectively work for "Poke-money", cards printed by the company rather than cash.

I think you will find that we have more player opportunity here with this model.

In fact, what you propose is much closer to a MLM model that what we have now.
How would it be if POP tried some kind of middle ground where organizers could charge admission and fund more events themselves?
Hard to say. But I suspect that attendence at those events would be less per event and would be skewed more toward the Masters age group rather than POP's main target, the Juniors age group.

POP did charge for events when they first started running the game, but with the TCG's growth, it's difficult to tell if removing the tournament entrance fees helped spur it.

If and when TPC stops producing sets and when PUSA has nothing to translate, the game will die. Not even M:TG could survive something like that.

Of course, there will be some people that will continue to play the game on the side, but will also be playing the popular ccg at the moment too. I know a few pokemon players in my are that play a little Harry Potter every now and then, or Magi-Nation. But they are a HUGE minority.

If and when TPC stops producing sets and when PUSA has nothing to translate, the game will die. Not even M:TG could survive something like that.

Of course, there will be some people that will continue to play the game on the side, but will also be playing the popular ccg at the moment too. I know a few pokemon players in my are that play a little Harry Potter every now and then, or Magi-Nation. But they are a HUGE minority.

IIRC, Magi-Nation actually live on for a bit through fans; the unreleased sets were put out through ccg simulators and such. I still lament its sad death and now horrid adaptation from that cartoon a year ago...

Remember there are areas where Unlimited is still the primary pokemon game. We'll see a return to this likely.

Remember there are areas where Unlimited is still the primary pokemon game. We'll see a return to this likely.

I hope Unlimited returns... but if they stopped printing it wouldn't bother me. But I doubt it'll happen any time soon. But if there were no tournaments, there would be far less players. It would still exist, but it wouldn't be as prevalent. The whole tournament system would have to be organized by the players themselves. But if leagues would still be run, tournaments could still easily be run.

Back